Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Animated Cartoons in the Golden Era

Futwick

One of the Regulars
The Fleischers' "Poor Cinderella" from 1934. Done in beautiful colors and rotoscoped to perfection. Rather longer than a regular cartoon but justifiably so. I would have sworn the Fleischer animators were doing acid as mind-warping their Betty Boop cartoons were but this was before Sandoz Laboratories invented acid.

[video=youtube;v-bjZcFfuq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bjZcFfuq4[/video]

Espee

Practically Family
I remember seeing Mae Questel on the Mike Douglas Show. At the time, she was doing the Bounty Paper Towels "Quicker Picker-Upper" TV commercials.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
The ones I could never get into were 'Space Angel' and 'Clutch Cargo'

Are these the only two that used Synchro-Vox instead of full animation?

While not exactly Synchro-Vox, Crusader Rabbit was similar in it's lack of animation.

[video=youtube;C3hHQvkUhJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3hHQvkUhJo[/video]

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Hey let's keep this thread rolling!
Here's a Disney studio tour from sometime between 1939-1941.
[video=youtube;ycU8BhfEs_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycU8BhfEs_I[/video]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I am a big fan of animation. My favorites are the Warner Brothers shorts from 1940 through the early 1950s.

I have a number of books on the history of animation.

I agree with the above who stated that the earlier cartoons had little to no lot and were just exercises in making drawings move, usually to music (early Merrie Melodies were particularly 'guilty' of this). Cartoons (shorts) came into their own when the music assisted and puncuated the movement, and away from being the reason why the characters did what they did.

It wasn't until Bugs Bunny in 1940 that a character appeared to 'think' to solve the problems he was in. The original 'Bugs Bunny,' in 1939, was not the same character.

Sometime in the '30s, WB, along with Disney, gave their films a certain flowing beauty that made them fun to watch. The characters moved with some weight, as stated above.

Last edited:

jessesage

New in Town
I would love to be in the offices shown on that Disney animation movie!! Thanks for sharing GoldenEraFan, this is really a priceless film!

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I am a big fan of animation. My favorites are the Warner Brothers shorts from 1940 through the early 1950s.

I have a number of books on the history of animation.

I agree with the above who stated that the earlier cartoons had little to no lot and were just exercises in making drawings move, usually to music (early Merrie Melodies were particularly 'guilty' of this). Cartoons (shorts) came into their own when the music assisted and puncuated the movement, and away from being the reason why the characters did what they did.

It wasn't until Bugs Bunny in 1940 that a character appeared to 'think' to solve the problems he was in. The original 'Bugs Bunny,' in 1939, was not the same character.

Sometime in the '30s, WB, along with Disney, gave their films a certain flowing beauty that made them fun to watch. The characters moved with some weight, as stated above.

Hello fellow New Yorker! The late 1930's was a turning point in animation as it was the era when "The 12 Basic Principles of Animation" came to be. Squash and stretch, arcs, follow through etc. All the key process' in making animated cartoons look as alive as anything. Though of a much higher quality than the more experimental sound cartoons of the 1927-1933 period, they still had a lot of pre-code jokes and visual gags that made them hilarious to watch. I was really surprised when I noticed the 1928 Mickey Mouse cartoon "Plane Crazy" had a toilet/outhouse joke in it.

I would love to be in the offices shown on that Disney animation movie!! Thanks for sharing GoldenEraFan, this is really a priceless film!
I have often dreamed about working in Disney's beautiful Art Deco Burbank studio! I would've loved to animate under Ward Kimball and Freddie Moore, since they were the big "cartoony" guys at Disney. When I used to work at a cartoon studio, I would always be dressed in the style of those old employee's, always showing up to work with a tie and hat!

Last edited:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Someone should have told Lillian Friedman and Laverne Harding.
Yes! Thanks for posting those names! I remember reading about Lillian somewhere (possibly Cartoon Brew) and recall reading about how she animated the two headed monster in "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor".
[video=youtube;AY2XeFqcBgE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY2XeFqcBgE[/video]

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Two films by Norman McLaren you loungers may find interesting.
Boogie Doodle (1940-the date on Youtube description is incorrect). Animation done directly on film to Albert Ammons "Boogie Woogie Stomp".
[video=youtube;dB3Phg0lV80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3Phg0lV80[/video]
Neighbours (1952) Mix of live action and stop motion representing McLaren's anti-cold war stance.
[video=youtube;4YAYGi8rQag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YAYGi8rQag[/video]

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Come on everybody! Let's keep this thread on the go!
Screen shot 2013-08-21 at 5.24.29 PM.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Here's some shots from the production of Lady and the Tramp (1956).
Bill Baucom (Trusty) and Bill Thompson (Jock and others) recording voices. You may remember Thompson for several other Disney films from the '50s as well as Droopy and the old timer on Fibber McGee and Molly.
Screen shot 2013-08-21 at 3.37.53 PM.jpg
2 of the 9 old men, Frank Thomas.
Screen shot 2013-08-21 at 3.41.05 PM.jpg
and Milt Khal.
Screen shot 2013-08-21 at 3.44.17 PM.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Can't believe how long this thread has been idle! Time to dust off those cobwebs again! How about some food themed cartoons from the Noveltoon series,"Shortnin Bread" (1949) and Candy Cabaret (1954) Anybody remember the old bouncing ball cartoons made by Paramounts Famous Studios, the same studio that made Popeye and Little Lulu cartoons? As for the tunes, Shortnin Bread is that tune I always heard Bugs Bunny sing but never knew the name, quite catchy I must say! The 2nd is an updated version of "Ain't She Sweet" fitting the candy theme!

[video=youtube;wKfOhro14_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKfOhro14_Q[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points