Animated Cartoons in the Golden Era

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by GoldenEraFan, Mar 31, 2013.

1. AdeeC

AdeeC Practically Family

Not sure if mentioned but Hot Chocolate Soldiers from the 1934 film Hollyood Party is one of my favourites. Heres the link,
    http://youtu.be/6AQMMNeckb4

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

This is absolutely sublime -- One Second From Every Warner Bros. Cartoon from 1929 thru 1969.

When I'm dictator, my state-run media will consist entirely of this compilation, looped, forever.

3. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

That's fantastic. And people complain about violent cartoons these days. Except these weren't made for kids.

ChiTownScion likes this.
  4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

A bit overwhelming - cool, but I'm exhausted.

I grew up watching insanely violent cartoons - as did all my friends (and, my guess, most kids in the US at that time). IMO, kids have no problem at all separating out fake cartoon violence and real world violence. To wit, they stripped out all the violence decades ago and society doesn't seem less violent.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The thing that impressed me the most about that whole phantasmagoria is how much the music added to it -- even in random, jagged fragments it's a thing of beauty.

And also, no later Warners character was ever so brutal as Bosko.

Zombie_61 and vitanola like this.
  6. Mae

Mae Call Me a Cab

All I could do through that whole thing was imagine Mel Blanc screaming randomly into a microphone. LOL What a great job for all those years.

Zombie_61 and vitanola like this.
  7. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

Oddly enough, as a child I particularly LIKED the Farmer Al Falfa, and the Tom and Jerry, and Aesop's Fables cartoons. The Synchronization was the thing for me. Songs that I knew and lived were part of the sound track, in a musical style which I enjoyed. The animation, and story telling holds up for me yet, but of course the Synchronization is the thing which "got" me. This Al Falfa short from 1930 is still amusing, and the music is fine.

Or this Tom and Jerry with synchronization by Gene Rodemich:

Or this early Merrie Melodies selection, with synchronization by Frank Marsales, featuring Louis Pancio, no less!

Then we have this, the last Flip the Frog entry, with a fine score taken entirely from two commercial Victor records:

Haversack likes this.
  8. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

Those Paramount "bouncing ball" cartoons are the direct descendants of the Fleischer "Screen Songs", which were developed in the silent era, but hit their stride with the coming of talkies

Haversack likes this.
  9. Haversack

Haversack Practically Family

In the Terrytoon above, Tropical Fish, some of the critters depicted look quite Seussian. I don't think Geisel ever work at Terrytoons but was of the right age. Both drank from the same well I suppose.

vitanola likes this.
  10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The ultimate fever dream -- all 1004 Schlesinger/Warner Bros. cartoons made from 1929 to 1969. At the same time.