Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ANJ4 and the like, 1/2 panel impacts bunching up under arms

deeds

New in Town
On a jacket like the ANJ4, some makers use one panel for the back (LW) others (like AERO) use 2.
I also notice that on many of the photos where people are wearing the jackets, there is a sort of bunching up and sticking out/up/bulging from excess material on the back around the arm pits. Trying to find an example now, spurr of the moment, is difficult but this is one here (hope the owner, whoever it is doesn't mind- this was from a google search)

upload_2021-9-17_18-31-47.png

Wondering is two panels may lessen this since there may be more flex/tighter fit because of the centre stitch.

What do you think?

Also, I know its not the style/designed fit of these jackets (most notably the b3 for example) but who would you say makes the least loose/closer fitting (given "correct" sizing) of the ANJ4s?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that's just a lot of material with shearling. And that has to go somewhere with the movement.
With my Shearling is similar, although this is relatively tight.
IMG_7099.jpeg
tempImage6EPqTv.png

powersci

One of the Regulars
Here's a (not so great) pic of me in my ANJ4 from Aero. It's fully zipped in the front and my hands are just resting by my waist. I can see some bunching in the image, but not a ton. The back of the jacket is pretty flat. I'm fine with it getting creased/bunched near the arm pits; it makes it easier to move in. I remember trying on @Bfd70's ANJ one time and it was a challenge to move around in. Not playing down his jacket at all. It was great and clearly meant to last a life time.

I agree with what @Bfd70 and @MrProper said: the jacket is a boxy cut and it's made from a thick, heavy sheepskin. So bunching is bound to happen. Wonder if having a gusseted back like on Aero's B-6 would help?

I will say that Aero lets you customize the measurements of the jacket to some extent. I remember getting them to widen the typical waist measurement on a military sheepskin jacket for me.

BztYkMXl.jpg

deeds

New in Town
Thanks guys, it is what it is i suppose. The jacket is meant to fit a certain way and it is cut to reflect that plus, yes, I'm sure the bunching helps with movement when stretching. Anyway, who cares i guess, ill never see it from the back when I'm wearing it ;)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Flight jackets were never designed for people to stand in picturesque locales posing for photos to post on instagram; quite the contrary, they were designed for people wearing multiple layers underneath (cold) and moving around a lot, even if strapped into the pilot's or co-pilot's seats (arms stretched forward, etc), so jackets needed room in them. If jackets were snug the crew would just blow out the seams quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch