Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ANJ4 sizing compared to B3 and Irvin jackets...

John Lever

One Too Many
Edward said:
John, I've never seen a B1 before, though logic reminds me that there must have been something that carried that designation for the B2 to follow in series... Is the B1, in essence, a B3 with the entire skin overlayed in leather, as opposed to just the arm panels? The B2, as I understand it, was a heavy horsehide jacket with a wool lining and mouton collar - a very different beast. What was the design flow there - was the B3 a deliberate return to something closer to the B1, having decided the B2 "didn't work" for whatever reason?

I'd love to see Aero do a run of jackets along these lines... I'm especially keen on a B2 myself, but last I heard Aero had rtuled it out as they didn't feel there was sufficient market interest for a jacket design not carried into the War period....
Edward,
I believe the B-1 was the first heavy jacket to be specified by the US in the 1930's. Originally I thought the liner was very short pile sheepskin at 6 mm. or 1/4 inch. But it was actually 1 inch long. The seam construction was also unique in that they were French seams, not rolled or folded like in the current version available from The Few. An example of this seam can be found on the reverse of A-2 jacket collars and on leather car seats.

Aero are serious about making a run of these jackets. I know that Will is very keen to go ahead but is constrained by workload and deliveries.
I believe that the machinists up in Scotland who work on heavy horse hide every day are ideally suited to make such a complicated jacket with the correct seams, not just a B-2 with a sheepskin liner.
Obviously the interest shown by enthusiasts will help to speed up production.

Will made my Radjacke last year, a one off at the time but to go into production and be featured on the new website to be launched in January. I hope to do a similar feat with the B-1.

John Lever

One Too Many
Naphtali said:
Are there manufuacturers who currently will manufacture B1 or B2 jackets?
Buzz Ricksons make The B-2
The Few make a B-2 and a compromised B-1.
I hope Aero will make both jackets next year at a fraction of these prices at £500

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
Edward,
I believe the B-1 was the first heavy jacket to be specified by the US in the 1930's. Originally I thought the liner was very short pile sheepskin at 6 mm. or 1/4 inch. But it was actually 1 inch long. The seam construction was also unique in that they were French seams, not rolled or folded like in the current version available from The Few. An example of this seam can be found on the reverse of A-2 jacket collars and on leather car seats.

Aero are serious about making a run of these jackets. I know that Will is very keen to go ahead but is constrained by workload and deliveries.
I believe that the machinists up in Scotland who work on heavy horse hide every day are ideally suited to make such a complicated jacket with the correct seams, not just a B-2 with a sheepskin liner.

Will made my Radjacke last year, a one off at the time but to go into production and be featured on the new website to be launched in January. I hope to do a similar feat with the B-1.

When I look at the B1 and B2, they seem very similar, other than it looks like the B2 has a mouton windflap? Does the B2 not have any sheepskin, just mouton and the B1 is all sheepskin on the inside?

Edward

Bartender
John Lever said:
Edward,

Thanks, John - interesting stuff. It'd be great to see these jackets reproduced by Aero: from what I have seen, they're hard to touch when it comes to horsehide. Only snag would be that inevitably I'd end up wanting both at some point.... lol The B2 first, I think, though as I've long fancied one of those.... eep. Might be time to eBay a kidney!

normanf

One of the Regulars
I think they will make a custom jacket. Take the ANJ-4 and leave off the bottom pockets for a plain look.

Or if you need handwarmer pockets, those could be sewed on the sides of the bottom pockets and lined with shearling. You could even get two top pockets if you need to carry still more stuff!

If you're going to spend that kind of money, then it makes sense to make a custom jacket for not too much more money.

riskyB

New in Town
Buzz Ricksons make The B-2
The Few make a B-2 and a compromised B-1.
I hope Aero will make both jackets next year at a fraction of these prices at £500

Any news on the Aero B-2 and B-1? I haven't seen any info regarding either. Are they still planning to make either of these?

John Lever

One Too Many
Not in the near future I'm afraid. Eastman did have some Buzz B-2's at a reduced price, but they are all sold.
Will tells me he has work to last until the end of March !

overlord4215

New in Town
I find the D-1 very comparable to the B-1 it was a ground crew B-3 from what i read. The following is from the repro manufacturer .

The USAAF Type D-1 Sheepskin Jacket is the ground crew and mechanics sheepskin jacket during WWII. It is very similar to the B-6 jacket and it is made of sheepskin. It is seal brown color on the outside with natural sheepskin fur color inside. The reinforcements leather trim over the seams is a seal brown color to match. It has a 2 piece back, one piece front panel, 2 zipper front pockets, and a center front Talon zipper, nickel finish. Under the zipper there is a storm flap for protection of those tough winds, and under the collar there is a fasten tab. The simplicity and clean lines of the jacket makes it a favorite, which found its way to the aircrew hands to be used as a summer flight jacket.

i cant post a picture of it but i found it at this sight .
http://www.flightjacket.com/media/c...3f61adf9c58d6aae48ea1ac2f6ff5ba4/d/1/d1_1.jpg

I have there A-2 best jacket i own .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael