Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ANJ4 sizing compared to B3 and Irvin jackets...

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
I am sure Mr. John Lever will have an appropriate answer to this question but if any others who have experience with these 3 jackets care to chime in, it would be greatly appreciated as well.

Just wanted to know how the ANJ4 compared to a B3 and Irvin jacket in terms of size. What I mean to say is, if one takes a 40 in an Irvin or B3 would they also take a 40 in an ANJ4? Not really talking about an original but more on the lines of a modern repro. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

Bruce

John Lever

One Too Many
I would say that the Anj-4 is slightly more restrictive to wear than the other jackets mentioned. The Aero Anj-4 pattern is slightly larger than the Eastman by approximately one size.

Naphtali

Practically Family
John Lever said:
I would say that the Anj-4 is slightly more restrictive to wear than the other jackets mentioned. The Aero Anj-4 pattern is slightly larger than the Eastman by approximately one size.
Mr. Lever:

Among these three best-quality ANJ4 manufacturers - Aero, Eastman, Lost Worlds - is sizing comparable? That is, the same size will fit the same regardless which manufactured it, Aero size 40 being comparable with size 42 from the others?

Does this sizing compatibility carry over for Aero and/or Eastman 1940 pattern Irvin jackets?

John Lever

One Too Many
Naphtali said:
Mr. Lever:

Among these three best-quality ANJ4 manufacturers - Aero, Eastman, Lost Worlds - is sizing comparable? That is, the same size will fit the same regardless which manufactured it, Aero size 40 being comparable with size 42 from the others?

Does this sizing compatibility carry over for Aero and/or Eastman 1940 pattern Irvin jackets?
Eastman and ELC for the Anj-4.
Eastman seem to be generally slightly smaller than Aero as they have quite vintage patterns.

Volpone

New in Town
Hello,
It would be nice if someone who owns a ANJ-4 can put some pictures of it ... both AERO and ELC look beautiful on their website.

John Lever

One Too Many
Well you asked...
IMGP3067.jpg

Custom Aero

IMGP3075.jpg

Custom Aero

IMGP2452.jpg

Eastman Broken Finish

IMGP2424.jpg

Eastman Broken Finish

borge.jpg

Lost Worlds

DSCF0025.jpg

Lost worlds

IMGP2438.jpg

RMNZ

IMGP2425.jpg

RMNZ

IMGP1069.jpg

Eastman

IMGP1059.jpg

Eastman

The Anj-4 is my favourite USAAF shearling. Stylish, warm, comfortable and practical with out being ostentatious.
As you can see I have owned/own jackets from all the major repro. makers.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
WOW John, the last 2 pics of your Eastman look amazing!!

May I ask if that is their current offering of the ANJ4 or a custom made jacket? Is the fit the same as their A-2, if you happen to know? I have an Eastman A-2 in a 36 and just wanted to know if their ANJ4 would fit the same. Thanks in advance and thanks again for all the GREAT pics!!

Cheers,

Bruce

fishmeok

Vendor
Interesting John- I had the same reaction to the Eastman: Wow! It really stands out from the other jackets in fit and materials, but maybe that's just the lighting...

Cheers
Mark

Volpone

New in Town
Big WOW !

I just figured out how my next jacket will look like ... although I'm a AERO fan, your ELC looks amazing and very classy in style.
Thanks for the pic's !

Regards,
V.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I think my next Aero (which wont be until next year at the earliest) will be an ANJ4, but only if they can completely overlay it in heavy steer.

John Lever

One Too Many
fishmeok said:
Interesting John- I had the same reaction to the Eastman: Wow! It really stands out from the other jackets in fit and materials, but maybe that's just the lighting...

Cheers
Mark
I remember John Chapman thought it was good also.
It was dumb to have sold it for the Broken Finish version. You live and learn I suppose.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
front_view3.jpg

1 inch sheepskin liner with horsehide shell.
I hope that Aero will make some of these early next year.

You should open your own museum.

That B1 looks really nice. The thing I like about the ANJ4 is that the windflap is small and not very noticeable. I love my b3/anj4 cross, but Id like something with a small windflap too.

John Lever

One Too Many
JLStorm said:
You should open your own museum.

That B1 looks really nice. The thing I like about the ANJ4 is that the windflap is small and not very noticeable. I love my b3/anj4 cross, but Id like something with a small windflap too.
I am sure Will would reduce the wind flap if you asked him to.

Edward

Bartender
John, I've never seen a B1 before, though logic reminds me that there must have been something that carried that designation for the B2 to follow in series... Is the B1, in essence, a B3 with the entire skin overlayed in leather, as opposed to just the arm panels? The B2, as I understand it, was a heavy horsehide jacket with a wool lining and mouton collar - a very different beast. What was the design flow there - was the B3 a deliberate return to something closer to the B1, having decided the B2 "didn't work" for whatever reason?

I'd love to see Aero do a run of jackets along these lines... I'm especially keen on a B2 myself, but last I heard Aero had rtuled it out as they didn't feel there was sufficient market interest for a jacket design not carried into the War period....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy