Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience with Iron and Resin Shearling Jackets

MontyAvalon

New in Town
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the shearling jackets produced by Iron and Resin?

I am looking for my first shearling jacket and after a long journey have decided that I love the look of the B3 style "Irvin" model produced by Iron and Resin.

https://ironandresin.com/collections/outerwear-jackets/products/irvin-jacket

From all the basic internet sleuthing I have completed, it appears this company prides quality workmanship and the price point they list would support this. Reviews for the jacket appear solid and I like the fact it is cut in a slightly slimmer design. The overall aesthetic of a jacket is important to me however more so is manufacturing quality. I do absolutely love the darker colour of Iron and Resin's shearling, coupled with the bilateral hand warmer pockets and the waist cinch straps included on this model. I do not care for an exact replica of historical designs, and find these features practical.

I guess what is holding me off purchasing is that this company is less known within the leather jacket/shearling world and isn't made by the usual suspects of Aero/ELC/Real McCoys/Simmons Bilt etc...

I have spent weeks looking into all options and while each of the above companies produces clearly incredible jackets in a variety of models I think I like the above model the most.

Downsides I see in purchasing, would be a potentially lower resale value should I not be happy with the jacket, given Iron and Resin's less prestigious reputation. There is also the risk of the jacket being much lower quality than an equal priced jacket from the companies listed above.

My other thought would be to consider a custom D1 style jacket from Simmons Bilt in their aviator leather however do not feel as strongly towards this. I am well aware SB are not the most popular brand on this forum given their past antics however they seem to be most flexible regarding modifications and offer more shearling options.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That apperas a solid jacket for that price, and thier 15% off they keep pitching as soon as you go to thier website makes it more attractive. I have never owned a shearling jacket personally. That said, I cannot imagine running around on a dirt bike with one un-zipped in a dusty envrioment. This would be a jacket I would only consider wearing below about 20F

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you like the jacket, why not?
The description says "lambskin", which would put me off. I have several Shearlings (which are all slim) but they have sheepskin instead of lambskin, which is thick and substantial.
At least with Aero you can have them made to your measurements. But you won't get an Irvin with pockets.
I think the depreciation of an Aero/ELC/etc. will be less than a fashion jacket. But maybe not. I don't think there's much of a market for shearling jackets, and you'll have to find someone who's looking for that exact model.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Image1.jpg

For the money, I would go with every other brands you've mentioned before going with this one. Like you said, it won't get the resale you want. Unless these guys are building their brand and are willing to buy them back at higher prices.

I made this mistake many times myself here. If you're gonna start from the top, don't mess with brands that are trying to make it to the top, do it with brands that are already at the top. You will get the most out of your money that way.

It looks flimsy. And bad.

Why not Aero? They make the best military shearling jackets in the business (sans some mega-rare, premium models by RMC) & for the same amount of money. I would play it safe with shearling, especially at that price tag.

Peacoat

Bartender
A $1,000 for a lambskin jacket? And how long before you catch the sleeve on an object and tear it?

I've never had a lambskin jacket, and never will, but friends of mine have. Most ( 2 or 3?) have lasted for years with no problem. But then there is always the story about one that gets torn in the first 6 months.

Did I see that the thickness is alleged to be 7 mm? If so, that is quite thick. Didn't know they came that thick.

For my money I would look elsewhere.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
A $1,000 for a lambskin jacket? And how long before you catch the sleeve on an object and tear it?

I've never had a lambskin jacket, and never will, but friends of mine have. Most ( 2 or 3?) have lasted for years with no problem. But then there is always the story about one that gets torn in the first 6 months.

Did I see that the thickness is alleged to be 7 mm? If so, that is quite thick. Didn't know they came that thick.

I missed this detail when I looked at it initially. Even more ironic it's show on a motorcyclist on the website. I would pass on this one.

MontyAvalon

New in Town
That apperas a solid jacket for that price, and thier 15% off they keep pitching as soon as you go to thier website makes it more attractive. I have never owned a shearling jacket personally. That said, I cannot imagine running around on a dirt bike with one un-zipped in a dusty envrioment. This would be a jacket I would only consider wearing below about 20F
Haha yes totally agree, I feel their marketing pictures may have strayed quite far from the realms of practical use. Fortunately I wouldn't be looking to use it as a bike jacket, rather a pure freezing winter jacket as you suggested :)

MontyAvalon

New in Town
The description says "lambskin", which would put me off. I have several Shearlings (which are all slim) but they have sheepskin instead of lambskin, which is thick and substantial.
At least with Aero you can have them made to your measurements. But you won't get an Irvin with pockets.
I think the depreciation of an Aero/ELC/etc. will be less than a fashion jacket. But maybe not. I don't think there's much of a market for shearling jackets, and you'll have to find someone who's looking for that exact model.
Fair points. I like the fit of what looks to be a ? D1 jacket in dark seal that I can seen on your Instagram. Perhaps I will go down this route instead.

MontyAvalon

New in Town
View attachment 544610

For the money, I would go with every other brands you've mentioned before going with this one. Like you said, it won't get the resale you want. Unless these guys are building their brand and are willing to buy them back at higher prices.

I made this mistake many times myself here. If you're gonna start from the top, don't mess with brands that are trying to make it to the top, do it with brands that are already at the top. You will get the most out of your money that way.
Always nice to hear advice from someone who has made similar mistakes prior! Thanks for emphasising those little points. I incorrectly assumed that they were using lambskin interchangeably with proper shearling however I see now why this is likely not the case. Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the listing.

MontyAvalon

New in Town
Agree. Nothing would be worse than tearing soon after purchase. I still like the jacket however based on multiple opinions all saying similar, I might continue the search and go back to looking into alternative options.

aero the heritage

New in Town
I personally owned 2 of their waxed canvas jackets and when it comes to durability and quality of construction, you can trust on them. However they definitely are new to leather game, many members here in TFL are giving you similar insights and that shouldn't be just passed by. Iron and resin is basically US version of Deus ex marchina, motor cycle and surfing. Shearling jacket made of lambskin with over 1k?

MrProper

Did I see that the thickness is alleged to be 7 mm?
I suspect the specification is the thickness of skin and fleece. And that would be rather thin.
As flimsy as the jacket looks, the skin is never so thick.

MontyAvalon

New in Town
I personally owned 2 of their waxed canvas jackets and when it comes to durability and quality of construction, you can trust on them. However they definitely are new to leather game, many members here in TFL are giving you similar insights and that shouldn't be just passed by. Iron and resin is basically US version of Deus ex marchina, motor cycle and surfing. Shearling jacket made of lambskin with over 1k?
Yes agree. Every commenter seems to be coming to similar point and that carries a lot of weight. I am still curious as to what the jacket is like however I probably won't be paying to have that curiosity answered.

MontyAvalon

New in Town
I suspect the specification is the thickness of skin and fleece. And that would be rather thin.
As flimsy as the jacket looks, the skin is never so thick.
Interestingly I emailed them about the thickness of the fleece and they stated that the fleece is 1 inch thick (these numbers not being listed on their website). So I assume they really are talking about the thickness of the skin only when they mention the 7mm number?

MrProper

Interestingly I emailed them about the thickness of the fleece and they stated that the fleece is 1 inch thick (these numbers not being listed on their website). So I assume they really are talking about the thickness of the skin only when they mention the 7mm number?
The leather is never 7mm thick, which would also be way too much. I guess 0.7 mm, which would also fit more to lamb.
One inch of fleece also seems excessive to me. Look at the pleat on the sleeve. It's far too sharp for thick leather or even thick fleece.
In the end, it doesn't matter how thick the leather or fleece is, as long as you like the jacket the way you see it in the photo.
It's all a matter of taste.

Goel

A-List Customer
Aviation Leathercraft also makes an Irvin with handwarmer pockets, they use the same north american sheepskin as SB and Aero.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Always nice to hear advice from someone who has made similar mistakes prior! Thanks for emphasising those little points. I incorrectly assumed that they were using lambskin interchangeably with proper shearling however I see now why this is likely not the case. Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the listing.
I think they just used the ”wrong” word. It’s sheepskin with 7mm fur. Actually from the photo it looks like what the industry would call 3/8” curly fur, actually would flatten out to 1/2” if ironed straight. It looks much longer than the 1/4” curly fur I have on my Eastman helmet.
None the less, it’s just too much money. 1400 ish dollars will get you one from all the big brands that are either made in US or UK.

This brand seems to do the wax jackets well, but leather will be different, unless they get into sewing leather it’s best to leave it to the leather only brands,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner