Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ann Sheridan USO Tour CBI

442RCT

One of the Regulars
I found this pic posted on another website about the Flying Tigers and CBI Theater while researching jacket and nose art pics. She must'a been hella kewl lady.
fes_sheridan_express.jpg

Ann Sheridan - USO Star
Dad ferried her between performances once one his B-25 (not this one, I believe) "She was one tough broad"! he used to say, largely because she was tough enough to pee in a funnel at 20,000 feet without the courtesy curtain they offered her "Don't worry about it, Boys" It made an impression on Dad!

442RCT

One of the Regulars
OOMPH !!! GIRL

Fletch said:
They didn't call her the OOMPH! Girl for nothin'.

painttest1.jpg

According this press release, she was also quite the trooper.

'OOMPH GIRL' AND TROUPE BRING GLAMOUR TO CBI
BUT FIND THEY HAVE TO WASH THEIR OWN LAUNDRY IN CHINA

By CAPT. JOHN C. DOORTY

CHINESE-AMERICAN COMPOSITE WING - Ann Sheridan brought a lot of happiness to a lonesome bunch of G.I.'s back here in interior China, when, with her USO troupe she gave a performance that certainly reached a new high in soldier entertainment. Col. W. C. Morse, commanding officer of this Chinese-American Wing of Gen. C. L. Chennault's 14th Air Force, personally greeted each member of the company - Miss Sheridan, Mary Landa, Ruth Denas, Ben Blue and Jackie Miles. With the colonel was a welcoming committee of Chinese and American officers and enlisted men. Heading the latter delegation were Sgt. Maj. Norman M. Chindler, T/Sgt. Leonard W. Fairfield and Sgt. Homer C. Lockwood.
Ann Sheridan put a brand new touch on the autographing business when instead of writing on his short-snorter bill she took a piece of chalk and autographed the pilot's plane.

KHAKI SIEGE
From the second they appeared in the doorway of the transport plane that brought them to our little airdrome they were besieged.
They posed and clowned for every conceivable kind of a picture until the very last film in the last G.I.'s camera had been exposed. They answered a million questions and told all about what is going on back home.

G.I.'S HOSTS
At noon these congenial folks were the guests of the enlisted men for luncheon. All five members of the party split up - they wanted no special table - and each sat at a different table surrounded by as many of the boys as could crowd around.
Rooms had been prepared in the Hostel so that the guests could relax a bit before curtain-time but they couldn't be forced to take even five minutes for themselves. They just kept putting out until they actually were late for the performance. And when they stepped out on the stage every soldier in the room felt that he was seeing old friends.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
They really knew how to treat the military during those days. True there were still protests during WWII but they were few. Still the men were the defenders of that right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24