Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anna Nichole Smith

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Having an odd family makes for a lesser person? [huh]
I'm not for comparing the deceased, personally. I don't think its possible to gauge how much better a person is, especially when they are celebrities and we don't personally know what they are really like.

Granted, I'm not in any way defending Anna Nicole Smith OR Steve Irwin. Nobody's perfect.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
agreed.

Tragedy and loss is tragedy and loss for those who knew people personally.

Thats all who really matter and who are grieving in this.

My sympathies to them , as they are for anyone who has lost someone they loved. No matter how 'lost' the person seemed, they were loved.

koopkooper

Practically Family
What I find funny is that usually when a fella knocks a girl up he's quick to deny that it's his, may do a runner even....however in this case every man and his dog is putting up his hand and saying "i'm the father".
Amazing what money will do, they say that money won't make you happy, I'd just like to be rich for a short time to really find out if it really will make me happy!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Yep. Now the NY Daily News is reporting that what really happened is that Smith used frozen sperm from her 90 year old late millionaire husband to become pregnant.
"Ice Pop Shock" that's the headline of the story. :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
Phil said:
Steve Irwin
- humanitarian
- behaved very well
- has upstanding family
- Never touched illegal drugs
-on his TV show, he taught about wildlife and the need to preserve it

Anna Nicole Smith
- Annoying brat
- Very spoiled
- Odd family, not very family like
- Known drug addict
- on her TV show, she whined and complained
Obviously, my young friend you know nothing about the entertainment business. It is called an "image". One may try to project an image of sincerity and wholesomeness but that does not reflect reality. The same applies to "bad girl" images. Sex sells and we cannot blame Anna Nicole any more then the people, as you yourself admitted, who watch her show.

You forgot to mention that Irvin held his infant while in a croc feeding pen.
We assume Irvin was a better person? Not if you are a newborn that looks like an uncooked piece of chicken to a hungry croc.

Good person...?

Who could not notice her drug induced journey over the years. Slurring barely comprehensible dialogue,but somehow managing to remain standing to always strike the exaggerated Marilyn pose. Ballooning up with excess to crudely hump satin bed pillows for incouraging reality cameras. Family raising her son until it was time to show him off to her hazy world,then intoducing a newborn into what was left of it. However,for me,disgust,finally,turned to very sad compassion watching her last TV interview. The "in your face" media grilling her about the death of her son. Truely painful,heartbreaking grief overwhelming any slur,self promotion or maybe even any desire to continue with the same. Worrying about her son and him not knowing what to do on the other side. Waiting and calling for her.
Good person? Debatable to many,with good reason. Surely a tragedy any way you look at it.
HD

Phil

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Obviously, my young friend you know nothing about the entertainment business. It is called an "image". One may try to project an image of sincerity and wholesomeness but that does not reflect reality. The same applies to "bad girl" images. Sex sells and we cannot blame Anna Nicole any more then the people, as you yourself admitted, who watch her show.

You forgot to mention that Irvin held his infant while in a croc feeding pen.
We assume Irvin was a better person? Not if you are a newborn that looks like an uncooked piece of chicken to a hungry croc.

Ok, don't patronize me. I know what an image is. I go to high school where everyone is superficial and concerned about their image. "Well, I like, got the Uggs and Abercrombie so I like, can still have a popular image." But I digress.

The point is, Irwin's image what a lot better looking than Smith's. You can't deny that. He was seen as an upstanding person in society. He's the kind of person who you'd invite to dinner. Anna however had an image as a spoiled brat. I wouldn't even want her in the same state as me.

As for her show, I watched the first 7 to 10 minutes of the pilot, got sick of her whining and moaning, changed the channel and never watched again.
Also, Irwin's baby. Irwin was a man who understood the animals he kept. But, if you take a look at the real photos (because there's a million fake photoshopped ones) you'll see he wasn't dangling the baby infront of the alligator. He isn't Jacko.

Feraud

Bartender
You are subjectively picking and choosing what aspects of a celebrity to admire or criticize. That is fine, we all do it.
What are your facts based on other than television and what you might have read on the internet? You put together a very hand chosen set of "facts" and try to pass it off as a realistic and full picture of two celebrities. No dice.
Neither you nor I know Smith or Irwin as "real people" and cannot compare who was the better human being.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
koopkooper said:
Jack Scorpion I am worried that you may be a bit of jinx, if you ever come to Australia please don't listen to my radio show!!!

Re Anna Nicole Smith, I'd like to say that she will be a loss to the world....but I can't.

Can I buy anything related to you off ebay? Because you just signed off on ... murder.

Anna Nicole was great. I look at her like a remix of the Jayne Mansfield problem. Jayne Mansfield led a very similar life, in terms of damage to herself and crazy public lifestyle. I look back on Jayne Mansfield fondly. I do the same of Anna Nicole.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
annanicolehusband.jpg

It seems some relish the idea that you shouldn't "judge" anyone by what you only see,for you may not know the whole story. Well,there is,probably,always some truth to that. However,really,we judge...or "I" judge people everyday by what I "see". Looks,actions,attitudes,and lifestyles. I don't need an indepth study of the inner workings of their "real" finer moments. I "judge" who my children play with,what they watch on TV,who I more often "hang" with,in a very simplistic way. Not,too,inclined to search for grey areas that often allow for an "anything goes" interpretation. Those whom I judge to be responsible,or irresponsible,are calculated by what behavior they tend to express or "what they promote". Everyone may be beautiful in their own way,but sifting through garbage to finally find it,can leave permanent stains for that greater effort. The idea of "judging" has become...don't ever judge others,for others might judge you,or{gulp}ME. Therefore,WE or YOU might feel somewhat cornered or,alas,"responsible".
HD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
HoosierDaddy said:
It seems some relish the idea that you shouldn't "judge" anyone by what you only see,for you may not know the whole story. Well,there is,probably,always some truth to that. However,really,we judge...or "I" judge people everyday by what I "see". Looks,actions,attitudes,and lifestyles. I don't need an indepth study of the inner workings of their "real" finer moments. I "judge" who my children play with,what they watch on TV,who I more often "hang" with,in a very simplistic way. Not,too,inclined to search for grey areas that often allow for an "anything goes" interpretation. Those whom I judge to be responsible,or irresponsible,are calculated by what behavior they tend to express or "what they promote". Everyone may be beautiful in their own way,but sifting through garbage to finally find it,can leave permanent stains for that greater effort. The idea of "judging" has become...don't ever judge others,for others might judge you,or{gulp}ME. Therefore,WE or YOU might feel somewhat cornered or,alas,"responsible".
HD

I think there is a drastic difference between not judging people who have no impact on ones life....and vetting those your child plays with to make sure that they are suitable companions. Or who you wish to spend time with as friends.

One is being done out of regard for someone close to yourself as a manner of protection of self, and loved ones.

The other, indeed in this case, unless I am mistaken, where Ms. Smith has no function in any of our lives...is rather different. We sit here tearing her apart, making snap decisons about who she was, based on what we have seen, for little functional purpose other then amusement or that vague feeling of 'not having messed up our life as badly as she has done' superiority.

Yes, people judge.

But people also waste time they could be living, in the loop of judging and speaking poorly of those they do not even know or have any motive in speaking poorly of.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A defender of judgmentalism

Prof. David Gelernter of Yale, a victim of Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, talking about his 1997 book Drawing Life.

Why do we go around telling each other don’t be judgmental? It’s a bizarre thing to say. It’s contrary to every moral instinct we have. My most important goal in rearing our children is that they should be judgmental; they should learn how to be judgmental, learn how to judge right from wrong and good from evil, and true from false, and beautiful from ugly. I have to ask myself, where did we get this craziness of discouraging our moral facility, and where did this come from? And we know where it came from. I mean, this approach towards morality, this liking for a plaintive sophistication that seems to transcend piddling, small potatoes distinctions like that between good and evil is a pose that intellectuals have struck for generations. Not all of them, of course. I mean, the intelligentsia no more than the press is monolithic.

But if you look at the nature of life among the intellectuals since the turn of the century, you see foreshadowed in the intelligentsia all sorts of attitudes that used to be miles away from mainstream in this country and now are mainstream: The unwillingness to judge or be judgmental, the belief in tolerance not merely as a virtue--I believe it is a virtue--but as "the" absolute virtue, trumping all other virtues, including justice and common decency; the casual contempt for traditional family, for traditional sex roles, for the military, for authority in general.
From PBS NewsHour, 10/16/97.

While I part with the somewhat neo-con-leaning Gelernter on the "casual contempt" issue - I prefer to think that there are many more influential people today who defer to authority too readily - there is, I think, something to say for the idea that if tolerance is a virtue in itself, you need to be very careful that it doesn't push other virtues aside.

There's a fine line between "don't be judgmental" and just plain not using your judgment. Take me. Yes, I joke about Anna Nicole, but I don't hate her. Never did. I just find her life choices crazy and somewhat sad.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
"It’s contrary to every moral instinct we have."

Ah, well, there's a statement that I'm very ready to judge. I've never experienced or heard of any instinct that is inherently 'moral.' Could someone explain what the heck the professor was thinking of?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Apologies for the sudden highbrow turn here...

I guess if you believe that morality is essentially a set of immutable principles from on high, then truly moral people would see them as being almost like instincts...not subject to philosophizing, mediation, or intellectual messing around.

The idea certainly lends a feeling of security and stability.

OK. Back to Anna...

anna1.jpg

Marc Chevalier said:
"It’s contrary to every moral instinct we have."

Ah, well, there's a statement that I'm very ready to judge. I've never experienced or heard of any instinct that is inherently 'moral.' Could someone explain what the heck the professor was thinking of?

Makes sense to me in the context in which it was quoted.
"Why do we go around telling each other don’t be judgmental? It’s a bizarre thing to say. It’s contrary to every moral instinct we have. My most important goal in rearing our children is that they should be judgmental..."

In order to deem something good or evil you have to make a judgement and we pass that system on to our children. It becomes inherent. You decide who you want to trust, who you want to be around and a host of other things based on moral judgements. These are also known as standards to which we hold things and people up to. They are never going to go away unless people start moving around the goal posts so the standards don't mean anything. The Idiotensia likes to move goal posts. Standards would then mean nothing. Fortunately they are tied to the "moral instincts we have so they cannot be erased so easily. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy