Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Annoying phenomenon

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
A Steampunk is a person who fantasizes about living in the Victorian era but doesn't want to give up modern conveniences. Hence, a happy compromise: a steam-powered brass and wood cellphone in the hidden tail pocket of one's frock coat. Harmless fun.

My nephew is a hopeless steampunk. At least it's retro!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just one more OT moment. For the unSteamPunkwise. It started officially with a movie called The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The idea is, it's Victorian times, but these genius types have invented gadgets that do 20th century things. But they have that elaborate cast-iron 19th century look to them. So things that would have been gasoline or electric driven, are steam driven. Makes for some pretty hilarious and cool and goofy creations.

mike

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Just one more OT moment. For the unSteamPunkwise. It started officially with a movie called The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The idea is, it's Victorian times, but these genius types have invented gadgets that do 20th century things. But they have that elaborate cast-iron 19th century look to them. So things that would have been gasoline or electric driven, are steam driven. Makes for some pretty hilarious and cool and goofy creations.

I don't know about that... the first time I heard specifically about steampunk was in reference to Honour Among Punks:

http://www.readaboutcomics.com/2003/07/10/honour-among-punks-the-complete-baker-street/

This preceded Alan Moore's comic series by many years.

Feraud

Bartender
Steampunk Ghostbusters. :)
ghostbuster-steampunk.jpg

Steampunk gear is so creative when done right.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Al I know is that if I actually came across a genuine art deco eames era danish, I would not want to eat it.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:

I know I was hearing people talk about steampunk before that movie came out. I've heard Back to the Future III attributed to the style, too, but that might be pushing it.

Talbot

One Too Many
When looking for car stuff...

...it always seems like everything is ratrod and gasser. I just had to pick up this set of tags from one auction:

model A model bdeucegasserflatheadhotrodrat rodcustomstreetroddragsterhilbornsprint caredelbrock fenton Ford chevrolet mopar thames anglia barn door shotgun bantam blower willys halibrand altered magnesium 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930, 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1946 1947 1948 1955 1956 1957 pickup roadster coupe 5w 3w I beam axle nostalgia 392 hemi enderle traditional scta muroc bonneville eelco injection stromberg mooneyes 3 window 32 duece dragster Speedster racing Street rod Hot rod Drag racing Dry lakes racing Midgets Stewart Warner Circle track Gasser ord gemsa hadees offy almquist winfield rutherford roof racing miller eddie meyer bell auto fenton crager hildebrant hildabrant thickstun tattersfield spalding kong navarro evans grancor hilborn schiefer offenhauser edmunds harman collins crower riley trans dapt scot super charger mcCulloch McCullough supercharger Graham-Paige frenzel wilcap wil-cap wico lsr land speed drop tank bellytank belly tank land speed el mirage muroc scta lakester salt flats p-38 p-51 dry lakes cyclone pat warren quickchange quick-change frankland winters cae firestone roadster

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
What was that tag novel on? I have no clue from the tags, it could have been a coffee mug for as much info as that gave.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Sincerely-Dee said:
I believe it's safe enough to say that many eBay sellers (I'm not saying all) don't really care about the tags that they put on them... they're just in it for the money.

So true! I bellydance and the things that get "bellydance" tags put on them on ebay make me blush!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24