Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Newbie

Blwinkl

New in Town
Hello Guys;

I am not particularly fond of hats; but have come to wear them out of necessity; Just want to avoid skin cancer and I am hair challenged (ha ha).

So, a few years back, I started wearing a Panama hat during games;

I have had the urge recently to get a hat for cold weather and for casual use.

I wonder if you guys might have a recommendation for me.

photo.php

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge. You will receive plenty of suggestion here, so be prepared.

Depending on what you are willing to spend, there are many options.
If you are uncertain about wearing hats/fedoras, I woulld suggest starting with a wool felt hat by Baileys. This should get you used to wearing a nice hat without busting your wallet.
Check out the Fedora Store.
http://www.thefedorastore.com/

barrowjh

One Too Many
Hat size is a key criteria - smaller sizes, say, 7 1/4 and below, can still land nice hats on ebay for cheaper than new, but the larger sizes - might as well buy new. Consider 'our' custom hatters, as they build hats that are nicer than factory-finished hats, and do it for less (at least competitive) to the suggested retail for the factory-finished hats. At times, you can score a great deal on factory-finished hats that are on sale. The custom hatters are very reasonably priced, but they don't carry an inventory, so they never have to 'dump' unsold styles via sales discounts, so their prices are steady.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. Is your question primarily about quality or style? or something else entirely? Proper fit is also critical.

If you can choose a fine quality and well fitting hat in a style that works for you ... Well you may even come to genuinely enjoy wearing them. :)

Blwinkl

New in Town
zetwal said:
Welcome to the Lounge. Is your question primarily about quality or style? or something else entirely? Proper fit is also critical.

If you can choose a fine quality and well fitting hat in a style that works for you ... Well you may even come to genuinely enjoy wearing them. :)

more along the lines of style i guess

i would like to have a hat that looks nice on me, and thus would increase my enjoyment; :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Style is obviously a very personal thing. Have you taken a look through the 'what hat are you wearing today' thread and others? You can get lots of ideas about what you like and don't like that way. You may also want to visit a haberdashery and try on various styles and colors. In my opinion, there's no better way to learn more about what looks and feels good on you in so short a time. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner