Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Vintage Borsalino. Opinions..?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
With all due respect to Dalexs, who I accidentally sniped on this hat, at a vintage shop that is! He showed up about an hour later and the proprietor ratted me out.

So, when I bought my vintage Borsalino a few months back, I mentioned that there was another, in a different style. After seeing so many go on eBay for $150 and above, and after visiting it there for these last 4 months or so, I decided to go back and buy this one for $55.

I really like the bow, though the style is a new one for me. I have been trying new things as of late.

So, it's a new style for me and I rather like it. I wore it to the Stockyard Steak House today and paired it with a Harris Tweed sportcoat.

I would love to hear what you all think. And Scott, before you say anything, it was only $55. :)

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Looks great, and what a deal!

HJ, I wish I looked as good in any style as you do! I have a similar '50's or early 60's Dobbs that was one of my earliest eBay acquisitions (with a vintage Rogers-Peet box, to boot). I dusted it off and tried it on, but the taper to the crown is a bit more angular than your Borso. Yours is definitely primo.

...is that a bottle Gordon's gin I see in the background? I respectfully withdraw last week's "puritan" remark! :cheers1:

Dalexs

Practically Family
Horrible looking. Brim is too small. Color is too dark. Ribbon is too wide.
You paid too much....

You should just return it and get your money back! :D

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
QUOTE=PutALidOnIt]Looks great, and what a deal!

HJ, I wish I looked as good in any style as you do! I have a similar '50's or early 60's Dobbs that was one of my earliest eBay acquisitions (with a vintage Rogers-Peet box, to boot). I dusted it off and tried it on, but the taper to the crown is a bit more angular than your Borso. Yours is definitely primo.

...is that a bottle Gordon's gin I see in the background? I respectfully withdraw last week's "puritan" remark! :cheers1:[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, a sylish taper can be a nice change. The challenge to this hat for me is the lack of a bash. I am so used to front pinches. I take to hats quickly, then wear them with reckless abandon.

And yes, that is "The African Queen" Bogart commemorative bottle. In those days, I drank Bombay Saffire, but I was a sucker for clever marketing and never let go of the bottle.

Since then, I have switched to vodka and single-malts. We puritans always have a hidden cabinent. :cheers1:

BellyTank said:
Sharp Hat HL- those old Borsalinos are great stuff- I have two... too;

-an Open Road-ish job in beige and a classic styled "Angora" in flecked grey.

Well stolen!

B
T
Thanks BT. Yours are beauts!

Dalexs said:
Horrible looking. Brim is too small. Color is too dark. Ribbon is too wide.
You paid too much....

You should just return it and get your money back! :D
Who loves ya' baby? :cool:

Hmmm... If I didn't know better I would swear this was you in that hat:

1958Borsalino.jpg

vintagebors32tz.th.jpg

Same side pose. :p

Regards,

J

maintcoder

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:

1958Borsalino.jpg

vintagebors32tz.th.jpg

Same side pose. :p

Regards,

J
Wow, that is damn near a dead ringer!

All kidding aside, that new hat looks good on you, HJ - very stylish and what a bargain!

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
That hat looks smart on you, Hemingway! Or that hat makes you look smart... or you look less stupid with that hat... or... whatever. :p I'm so used to seeing you with a wider brim, but I do think this hat suits you well. It's nice having a little variety in the styles of hats you own, isn't it?

(Don't worry, Dalex, I'll trip him and you run with the hat, okay? ;) :whistling )

bink

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If a person likes a hat and feel good wearing it they, by all means should do so. And don't discount it due to price. 99.999% of all the people that will ever see you in it have no knowledge of its cost or relative visual quality compared to a $500 hat.
Fedora.gif

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If a person likes a hat and feel good wearing it they, by all means should do so. And don't discount it due to price. 99.999% of all the people that will ever see you in it have no knowledge of its cost or relative visual quality compared to a $500 hat.
Fedora.gif

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Magus said:
Love it! And at a great price as well.

M
Thanks, Magus, I appreciate it.
I see you have one as well. Congrats! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll drop a comment on your thread.

jamespowers said:

Regards,

J
Ha! Ha! That is awesome! Mr. Powers (I love calling you Mr. Powers, like Dr. Evil!) That hat ad is great! You are a tremendous resource.
So, what year is it from?

maintcoder said:
All kidding aside, that new hat looks good on you, HJ - very stylish and what a bargain!
Thanks! I feel so lucky to have gotten it for $55! To think I let it sit there for 4 months before making my mind up! Next time I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll just DO IT!

Thanks, Sinatra, I appreciate it.

binkmeisterRick said:
That hat looks smart on you, Hemingway! Or that hat makes you look smart... or you look less stupid with that hat... or... whatever. :p I'm so used to seeing you with a wider brim, but I do think this hat suits you well. It's nice having a little variety in the styles of hats you own, isn't it?

bink
Thanks, bink, ---I think!
It is nice having many hats. I wear many different hats. No, really, I do, literally. I am not making an analogy!

geo said:
The hat looks great. You're lucky the hat was still there after 4 months.
Geo, you are so right. I am stupid for leaving it there. Now, I have learned.

Thank you, RedPop4! I appreciate it.

Absolutely, Twitch, no discount applies!

Dalexs, I will be telling that story at every summit and get-together for the next 30 years! Lucky you!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jamespowers said:
:eusa_doh: Did I forget to mention the year of the ad? Geez, it is from 1958.
Every time you call me Mr. Powers it makes me want to go: "Yeah Baby!" and I hear that stupid flute music. :p :icon_smil

Regards,

J
Thanks! You know, I'm such a dope; I could have figured it out for myself. It says, 100 years of hat making. I could have looked at the sweatband!
Thanks though, Mr. Powers. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff