Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another vintage hat....butchered

Fedora

Vendor
LOL OK, here is a vintage Adam hat that I just reblocked and did a ribbon change on. Adam

Many of you will like the idea that I left the binding on the brim. Indy block and style with a classy brim. Hit the next button to get two more views. This is a very fine felt, comparable to the Knox 20. regards Fedora

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I had an Adam fedora that I wore as a work hat for a while, it was a bit small so I gave it to one of my daugher's friends. The felt was very dense and thin. Here's another one on ebay right now that's being sold by the same guy I just bought the Mac and the Dobbs from. It's a 7 1/4 and has the high crown and wide brim. Maybe someone here will get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14065&item=8115033668&rd=1

regards fedoralover

Fedora

Vendor
If you reblock the fedora in such a way so that someone would want to wear it again... how is that "butchered"?

Now that is the way I think RK.:D There are folks like us that think the Indy fedora is the end all for hats.;) Then there are other folks that like the variety of the vintage lines, and don't care for the Indy fedoras. Personally, I like tall crowned broad brimmed fedoras, Indy or non Indy. I have never been a fan of bound brims, although I have seen some that looked really good. Whenever I see a bound brim on a cowboy hat, it reminds me of the one that I got when I was 5 years old, that came with a bandana, cap guns and holster. :D For a moment, imagine you are watching Indy for the first time. As he appears walking through the jungle, you notice his hat. It is a bowler, or even a homburg, both with trim on the brim. Now honestly, would you be wearing a hat like that today if Indy had worn one. Not me. They did well when they picked his hat, style and color. Or worse, imagine once again he is wearing a little stingy brim 4 inch crown hat. Porkpie. Oh, it is brown. Would you be waiting for him to kick some serious booty, or would you be waiting for him to go into the 3 Stooges routine?LOL See what I mean? :cool: Even Crocodile Dundee had some brim on his short crowned hat, and the short crown was balanced out by having croc teeth as a hat band. If the hat has to be short crowned, put the remains of a vicious animal on it, somewhere. I have seen some folks around here and other sites that if they knew how ridiculous they looked in the hat they were wearing, they would volunteer for a trip to Iraq so they could get beheaded. Yep, that bad. No one ever tells them how comic they look, in fear of hurting feelings. So, being non politically correct, old Fedora is spilling the beans. I have talked about this off line with several folks, so I ain't out on a limb here. Just because a hat fits you, does not mean it is becoming on you. So please, everyone here. Put a hat on your head, look in the mirror. Ask yourself a serious question. What does this hat make me look like? LOL Fedora

rick5150

One of the Regulars
I LOVE the direction this post is going! Sort of a public service announcement. But wait a minute... Three Stooges? Crocodile Dundee hat? Hats looking ridiculous on people? What is all this about, I have one of those Crocodile Dundee hats and...Hey! Why don't you just post my name and picture. Oh yeah, you forgot to mention rattlesnake hatbands:D

Fedora

Vendor
LOL LOL LOL What a hoot. I just realized Rick, that you own that 3 Stooges statuette, you have a Crod Dundee hat, you have a vicious rattlesnake band........LOL I assure you, your tastes are very good. And whoever does your reblocks is a genius, ;) and an artist, ;) and handsome,LOL and just an all around perfect human being in all regards, and respects. [angel] Fedora

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree....

Originally posted by Fedora
.... Personally, I like tall crowned broad brimmed fedoras, Indy or non Indy. ..

I agree 100% plus

.. I have seen some folks around here and other sites that if they knew how ridiculous they looked in the hat they were wearing, they would volunteer for a trip to Iraq so they could get beheaded. Yep, that bad. No one ever tells them how comic they look, in fear of hurting feelings. So, being non politically correct, old Fedora is spilling the beans... Just because a hat fits you, does not mean it is becoming on you. So please, everyone here. Put a hat on your head, look in the mirror. Ask yourself a serious question. What does this hat make me look like? LOL Fedora

I remember saying the same thing a couple of times and I was shouted down and accused of being too critical of the Indy folks. You said it, the "balance" of the hat has to fit YOU. There are many hats I like that look bad on me.

Fedora

Vendor
There are many hats I like that look bad on me.

Me too. The hat has to fit the person. The old saying, one size fits all is not the way to go with hats. I guess that is why they offered so many different hats years ago. Well, now that I give it more thought, you can still buy these hats today too, although many would have to be custom jobs. regards, Fedora

Originally posted by Fedora
Now that is the way I think RK. There are folks like us that think the Indy fedora is the end all for hats.;) Then there are other folks that like the variety of the vintage lines, and don't care for the Indy fedoras. Personally, I like tall crowned broad brimmed fedoras, Indy or non Indy. I have never been a fan of bound brims, although I have seen some that looked really good. Whenever I see a bound brim on a cowboy hat, it reminds me of the one that I got when I was 5 years old, that came with a bandana, cap guns and holster. For a moment, imagine you are watching Indy for the first time. As he appears walking through the jungle, you notice his hat. It is a bowler, or even a homburg, both with trim on the brim. Now honestly, would you be wearing a hat like that today if Indy had worn one. Not me. They did well when they picked his hat, style and color. Or worse, imagine once again he is wearing a little stingy brim 4 inch crown hat. Porkpie. Oh, it is brown. Would you be waiting for him to kick some serious booty, or would you be waiting for him to go into the 3 Stooges routine? See what I mean? Even Crocodile Dundee had some brim on his short crowned hat, and the short crown was balanced out by having croc teeth as a hat band. If the hat has to be short crowned, put the remains of a vicious animal on it, somewhere. I have seen some folks around here and other sites that if they knew how ridiculous they looked in the hat they were wearing, they would volunteer for a trip to Iraq so they could get beheaded. Yep, that bad. No one ever tells them how comic they look, in fear of hurting feelings. So, being non politically correct, old Fedora is spilling the beans. I have talked about this off line with several folks, so I ain't out on a limb here. Just because a hat fits you, does not mean it is becoming on you. So please, everyone here. Put a hat on your head, look in the mirror. Ask yourself a serious question. What does this hat make me look like? Fedora

Hey, I like the three stooges. As far as wearing hats that look ridiculous on people goes, you have to remember that people wear things because they have stood in front of a mirror and think it looks great on them. To each his own actually. It is sort of entertaining to see such things. LOL
That being said, let's remember that many people look at us strange when we wear a fedora in general. They think all fedoras, homburgs, bowlers and straw hats are antiquated head wear. They also think we look ridiculous wearing them. I know when I walked into work today with my Whippet on there were some strange looks---so what?! :p
We wear our hats because we want to not because they are the height of fashion at the time. It sets us apart in the first place and opens us to ridicule even if it is the best looking hat on our head. The thing that looks ridiculous to be is the baseball cap. I can't stand it--never could. :( They don't afford any protection to your ears or the back of your neck. The materials are cheesy, cheap and remind one of a trailer park but different strokes for different folks. They do not know they look like one of the cast from Deliverance and they are entertaining to look at. LOL
My whole point here, in a nutshell, is that people will wear what they want, no matter what it looks like on them. The whole point of being an individual instead of following the crowd is that we stand out in a crowd whether we wear a fedora, homburg, panama, bowler, straw hat etc. I sort of have admiration for those that can wear a hat in public like many of us here. It takes courage and not paying attention to silly remarks. They are secure enough in their selves to be different and just don't care.
The Fouth of July is coming up soon. Do you ever wonder where we might be if a few brave fellows hadn't been willing to risk it all to be a unique and different country? :cool2:
Just some thoughts but I have lots of them. :D

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Disclaimer: the above was not meant to denigrate people who wear baseball caps. Keep wearing them---you amuse me. LOL LOL

STHill

One of the Regulars
Don't be messin' with the Three Stooges. Absolute comic genius.

JP, I totally agree with everything you said. Very eloquently stated.

Canadave

One Too Many
Hey, great new avatar. What is that guitar? I want to say Gibson, but that's probably not right.

The bracing and label position, seen through the sound hole seem odd...is that just the angle of the photo?

David

STHill

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Canadave
Hey, great new avatar. What is that guitar? I want to say Gibson, but that's probably not right.

The bracing and label position, seen through the sound hole seem odd...is that just the angle of the photo?

David

Thanks, Dave. You're right. It's a Gibson J-45. The odd look of the bracing is due to the angle. If you look at it straight on, the bracing forms a centered cross. Because the bracing is centered, the label has to be placed off-center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic