Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anticipating my first Montecristi!

Victor

One of the Regulars
I was at Art Fawcetts shop today picking up a reblock and mentioned that the weather is getting sunny and my Felt Hats are feeling a bit warm for summer. The talk turned to Panamas and Art showed me some hat bodies. He showed me the difference between Cuenca hat bodies and Montecristis.Showed the difference in weaves and in straw quality and color. I watched and learned and was hoping that something would click for me in selecting something.
All the Panamas looked very light colored ( particularly the Cuencas) and I was wondering if there was anything maybe in a slightly amber color, just a little darker but a decent weave. Nothing too expensive, just a moderately woven basic panama.Well, my eye went to a slightly darker half finished Montecristi in the pile and Art told me "this is a very fine Montecristi. but sort of messed up the color by heating it too much". I looked at the fineness of the weave and the shape of the block, popped it on my head and loved it immediately! It was my size, a great block and brim size and the color that I was looking for (if *slightly* uneven in shade).Now this was a hat that was a waaay finer weave than anything in my price range. I asked Art if it was for sale and how much. When he quoted me a price I couldn't say no. I won't quote the price without his permission but lets just say that it was an offer that I couldn't refuse! This hat was of beautiful and fine quality weave and I knew that this was going to be my hat. I've never owned a Panama Hat before and won't have to compromise with a lower grade to save money. It should be finished in a week and I am very much looking forward to the final product and will be sure to post pics when it is done.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
You bought a winner!!

Way to go! Welcome to the Montecristi club. Have Art hole punch your card after you buy 9 more the 10th is free. LOL. :)

I wish you well. :cheers1:

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars

Getting a Montecristi is like taking a step into a different world. You feel more refined and fashionable. I am looking forward to summer #2 in my MC hat. Hopefully, I will have a new summer suit to go with it and my spectator shoes.

Regards,
Pyro.

Victor

One of the Regulars
Yeah, now wondering what summer clothes go well with a Panama on a hot summer day

Victor

One of the Regulars
Picked up the hat today! I spent several hours at Arts shop while he finished the hat and told me all about his upcoming move to Oregon.(very exciting stuff!)
Its a beauty! Art called it a Fino Fino, and yes it IS one of yours, Bob .I chose a couple of different ribbons (puggerees) and thats why the pics look different.
detail
detail
detail
detail
detail
detail

Victor

One of the Regulars
Looks and *feels*just like linen. The pictures don't do it justice at all. Art tells me it is about 1000 weaves per inch! Now just gotta wear it for awhile to make it feel like "my" hat!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
You will buy another one !!

We are so lucky here! With Robert getting the hats for us at a very fair price ,and Art and his Vintage blocks and being a Master Hatter.

Most of us can wear a fine Montecristi hat that others only dream about. :)

Your hat sir would be over a $1000.00 at alot of other hat sites/sellers

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
That is a great looking hat. We're busier this year than we've ever been. People are starting to notice the quality/price issues and word of mouth is tremendous...thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran