Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antique shows/shoppes or online

moustache

Practically Family
Having attended a very large antique show yesterday,i wondered how many FL'ers buy their vintage clothes.I know many make their own but figure that is the small minority.
Do you buy them at local vintage shoppes,antique stores,online or thrift stores??
I have found many delightful deals attrift stores for pennies.Compared to the travelling antique shows and shoppes,it can be a real bargain.
I saw some wonderful clothes and shoes yestreday,but the prices were,for the most part,very high.I understand that they will be that way to an extent,being a show dedicated to older things.
But $300 for a pair of Allen Edmonds that are used??Granted,they were immaculate.Seems a bit over the top for me.Guess if someone is willing to buy it...I tried to dicker with him and bargain but he was staying with said price.
Back to the thrift stores i go.

Curious of other Lounge members thoughts.And ideas i might not have explored.

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Grace

Vendor
I'm a vintage dealer by trade, and travel quite a lot to find my inventory. It comes from all over. Sometimes I get lucky and find a really nice piece in an Antique shop. Sometimes I find great pieces at thrift stores. Most of my inventory comes from private calls. Pieces that I love and fit me, I keep them for my own closet.

I view what I do as a rescue mission, because if I weren't saving these pieces, chances are they'd end up in the dumps (as happens far too often around here).

Most of the vintage I buy retail comes from eBay, or other online venues. I even bought my vintage wedding dress on eBay! (mainstreetvintage.com is a good one)

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks

Grace said:
I'm a vintage dealer by trade, and travel quite a lot to find my inventory. It comes from all over. Sometimes I get lucky and find a really nice piece in an Antique shop. Sometimes I find great pieces at thrift stores. Most of my inventory comes from private calls. Pieces that I love and fit me, I keep them for my own closet.

I view what I do as a rescue mission, because if I weren't saving these pieces, chances are they'd end up in the dumps (as happens far too often around here).

Most of the vintage I buy retail comes from eBay, or other online venues. I even bought my vintage wedding dress on eBay! (mainstreetvintage.com is a good one)

I have thought of estate sales as well but the few i have attended concentrated on vehicles,jewlery,and most of the more expensive items aquired by the estate.I have never seen clothes.Maybe i need to expand a bit more.Thankfully,gas is starting to come down a little bit.Makes the driving to sales more enjoyable and gives me more money to buy!!

I have done ok on ebay as well but don't buy clothing there save my bowties.

JD

Grace

Vendor
Alot of times, the people running the estate sales get rid of the clothes long before the sale. I guess they figure no one will want them.

At a recent estate sale, I asked what happened to the clothes, and was told that the ladies wish was to not have her clothes pawed through.
So they took them to a thrift store. [huh]

Barry

Practically Family
moustache said:
Thanks for the link.

JD

I will say that I found it to be pricey. Also, the jacket that I bought was still listed but had already been sold. I had no way of knowing this. It wasn't a big deal because I did receive the jacket in the end. The previous purchaser returned it because the jacket did not fit very well.

Barry

nulty

One of the Regulars
I think the majority of folks find the vintage items through the same routes..sales, goodwills and online...

I think it depends on locale and intent. If there is a specific item you are in need of and it's not showing up at the usual spots it doesn't hurt to approach a local delear and voice your dilemna. Often , as has been mentioned, clothing gets tossed before it makes the shop. I know 2 dealers in town who will rescue and set aside certain items that they know I will buy...

They sell and you buy so it's symbiotic...

For the most part it's hunt and peck but that's part of the fun of it.

Good will's are becoming increasingly unproductive as of late..I'm skunked there more often then not.

Grace

Vendor
Good Will is nothing but a big, greedy corporation. The head honcho took home over $1m paycheck last year.

They actually have a 'spotter' position that works the back, and is trained to pick out the 'good' stuff. Then they put the 'good' stuff on their online auction site.
Did you read about the painting they put on their auction site and sold for something like $169k? I forget exactly, but if you google it you'll find it.

moustache

Practically Family
true...but

Grace said:
Good Will is nothing but a big, greedy corporation. The head honcho took home over $1m paycheck last year.

They actually have a 'spotter' position that works the back, and is trained to pick out the 'good' stuff. Then they put the 'good' stuff on their online auction site.
Did you read about the painting they put on their auction site and sold for something like $169k? I forget exactly, but if you google it you'll find it.

then again Exxon took home how many billions and we still buy gas.What major corporation is not greedy??
I figure that Goodwill has helped me with more of my vintage clothing than any other.Heads and CEO's of corporations always take home fat salaries.And we,the public,cannot control that individually.So i will continue to search my local thrift stores each week.It is fun to do so anyway.

And as for the spotter:I would do the same.Just smart,IMHO.

JD

Grace

Vendor
As a company who was started solely to help the less fortunate, I think they've lost sight of what they're supposed to be doing.
They're over priced any more, anyway. A newer dinner plate priced at $4? A hideous and badly home-made 80s prom dress for $75? There are still the less fortunate who shop there out of necessity.

And now with the eBay in the picture, everyone thinks their shit is worth something. I swear to you, if I hear 'Oooooo you know how much I could sell that for on eBay...' one more time, I'm going to snap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda