Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Love For Those Cheap Old Fidelity Leathers?

Bigbawz

New in Town
Fidelity was a big part of motorcycling and the Boston music scene in the late 70's. I believe they were sold at Boston Cycle Parts on Brighton Ave. and worn to hear bands at the Rat and Cantone's. Picked this up for $30. (fits sorta) recently and still ride bikes from that era
A friend of mine an aircraft engineer in Dubai has just restored that very Suzuki GS 1000. His black one a 1979 I reckon. All stock bar exhausts. Going back to his youth. We're all in our 60's now.
Apologies for the thread sidetrack. Can't load up a photo sorry
IMG_3368.jpg

Barnwell

New in Town
A friend of mine an aircraft engineer in Dubai has just restored that very Suzuki GS 1000. His black one a 1979 I reckon. All stock bar exhausts. Going back to his youth. We're all in our 60's now.
Apologies for the thread sidetrack. Can't load up a photo sorry View attachment 441444
That is the more expensive E model (dual disks and mags) with the paint scheme that earned it the nickname "skunk".

Bigbawz

New in Town
That is the more expensive E model (dual disks and mags) with the paint scheme that earned it the nickname "skunk".
It is quite likely a European released model as he found it in "dry storage" in an undercroft carpark in Dubai ie "abandoned" for many years! All the GS1000 models I remember as a young man in the UK had twin front disc brakes as stock OEM. He also has a Candy tone brown KZ900 Kawasaki in his collection. Again found in Dubai. That was a US market bike when new. May even have been USA built. Amongst his bikes is an early Honda Goldwing. Same story. Long abandoned but ZERO rust ! IMG_3367.jpg
IMG_2275.jpg

Got a Fidelity CR in Oxblood on the way. I sold off all my CRs last year (Cal 6 panel, white label Sportster, Vanson A, 4-pocket Shinki SB…). This is not on that tier of jacket but I dig the Fidelity fit. CRs are not my typical go-to but I wanted one for those rare days I did reach for one. This hide is thick, ages great and really offers a sweet bang for the buck.

Observe

One Too Many
Got a Fidelity CR in Oxblood on the way. I sold off all my CRs last year (Cal 6 panel, white label Sportster, Vanson A, 4-pocket Shinki SB…). This is not on that tier of jacket but I dig the Fidelity fit. CRs are not my typical go-to but I wanted one for those rare days I did reach for one. This hide is thick, ages great and really offers a sweet bang for the buck.
Funny, I was just looking at this thread earlier today, before your post. I've been doing some digging on the forums here, and looking at some Fidelity Perfecto clones on eBay, but none of them are checking enough of the boxes for me to pull the trigger. My crappy old Wilsons still has better measurements for me.

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
Funny, I was just looking at this thread earlier today, before your post. I've been doing some digging on the forums here, and looking at some Fidelity Perfecto clones on eBay, but none of them are checking enough of the boxes for me to pull the trigger. My crappy old Wilsons still has better measurements for me.
I've got a Fidelity perfecto copy. Too small for me. If you're interested let me know. Very broken in, but all the zippers were working, and no holes in the leather. Think it's a 42. I'm moving and trying to downsize. Got it for next to nothing, I'd let it go for $20 + shipping.

Last edited:

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
Found a little more info about the brand recently if anyone cares.
The main retailer for these jackets was a New England chain called Snyder Leather, with 10 stores throughout the region. The store near us was huge.
After the Melville corporation bought and merged Berman and Wilson Leathers, they moved into the Northeast, aquired Snyder in 92 and shut down all outlets of that chain by 94.
Somewhere either during that time or for a while after the black "Fidelity" tags appeared and then the different, thinner/softer leather. Possibly because they lost their hide supplier when most of massachusetts tanneries were shutting down around the same period.
The company is still producing peacoats and outerwear under the Fidelity name after being acquired by another corporation, but no leathers.

If anyone else has any other info, or could correct me on anything I've got wrong I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
I've got a Fidelity perfecto copy. Too small for me. If you're interested let me know. Very broken in, but all the zippers were working, and no holes in the leather. Think it's a 42. I'm moving and trying to downsize. Got it for next to nothing, I'd let it go for $20 + shipping.
Mind sending me a DM with the measurements? Thanks.

Nacho

Practically Family
Hey guys. Do you know if Fidelity’s ever used IDEAL slider for their cafe racers' zipper?

I’m interested in this one and it has all the hallmarks of a Fidelity: the label, three vents underarms, short body, etc. No red undertone though.

0A07BB1D-996D-47A4-9966-14111C16887F.jpeg

A79DA8C8-6180-4658-A2AF-A890392F9C05.jpeg
8066AE7F-E23E-4189-A80B-699565D2D19F.jpeg
18E600BD-08C0-4532-B9C2-A6E1658CCE99.jpeg

This one has IDEAL slider for the main and sleeves' zippers. I don't think they're replacement since the stitching at the zippers is still pretty good.

What do you think? Is this legit?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
Hey guys. Do you know if Fidelity’s ever used IDEAL slider for their cafe racers' zipper?

I’m interested in this one and it has all the hallmarks of a Fidelity: the label, three vents underarms, short body, etc. No red undertone though.

View attachment 506471
View attachment 506472 View attachment 506474 View attachment 506475

This one has IDEAL slider for the main and sleeves' zippers. I don't think they're replacement since the stitching at the zippers is still pretty good.

What do you think? Is this legit?

Thanks.
Oh, definitely a Fidelity. Vertical interior pleating. Collar snaps right on the corner of the collar. Vents, tags all what you'd expect. Strange that it doesn't have the riveted hang chain, but I've got one without it too.

Looks good. I always prefer the chest pockets to the hand warmers.

As far as the zippers go, keep in mind that they made these jackets for a long time during the same period that foreign parts (zippers, snaps etc) were flooding US markets and American companies were shutting down. So expect changes in suppliers.

Nacho

Practically Family
Oh, definitely a Fidelity. Vertical interior pleating. Collar snaps right on the corner of the collar. Vents, tags all what you'd expect. Strange that it doesn't have the riveted hang chain, but I've got one without it too.

Looks good. I always prefer the chest pockets to the hand warmers.

As far as the zippers go, keep in mind that they made these jackets for a long time during the same period that foreign parts (zippers, snaps etc) were flooding US markets and American companies were shutting down. So expect changes in suppliers.
Thanks, boss :cool:.

Likewise, the chest pockets look way cooler than the hand warmers.

I think this one has the same label and hook as the second jacket in your collection's pic (you gotta zoom in to see).

20220727_091647.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, what would you say about the leather and the fit on your Fidelity? Good-enough quality leather? Roomy or tight fit?

Thanks again.

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
Thanks, boss :cool:.

Likewise, the chest pockets look way cooler than the hand warmers.

I think this one has the same label and hook as the second jacket in your collection's pic (you gotta zoom in to see).

View attachment 506507

If you don't mind me asking, what would you say about the leather and the fit on your Fidelity? Good-enough quality leather? Roomy or tight fit?

Thanks again.
Thanks for linking my pic. I forgot I put that on here and my coats are 2000 miles away right now while I'm in Florida.
Yup looks like the same tags + loop to me.
As far as the leather goes, that was pretty consistent in the 70s-80s jackets. Never ran across any of the really early ones myself.
Those 90s ones with the black "Fidelity" tag had a thinner, different leather. Better than the Wilson stuff, but not as stiff as the 70-80s hides. Both are reasonably thick. Nothing insane like the Natal, Kerr, Dyer heavyweights.
I'm a thinner guy with a slightly larger chest for my frame and they fit me great.

Nacho

Practically Family
Thanks for linking my pic. I forgot I put that on here and my coats are 2000 miles away right now while I'm in Florida.
Yup looks like the same tags + loop to me.
As far as the leather goes, that was pretty consistent in the 70s-80s jackets. Never ran across any of the really early ones myself.
Those 90s ones with the black "Fidelity" tag had a thinner, different leather. Better than the Wilson stuff, but not as stiff as the 70-80s hides. Both are reasonably thick. Nothing insane like the Natal, Kerr, Dyer heavyweights.
I'm a thinner guy with a slightly larger chest for my frame and they fit me great.

Awesome. Thank you for the insights. Looks like I've got myself a nice 70s-80s Fidelity soon.

I'll probably post some pics here if I end up getting them (if you don't mind). The seller quoted me 280 CAD (~200 USD) so I might try to haggle it down a little.

Btw, I don't know if you know of Justin Theroux, but this dude rocks the hell out of Fidelity. Here is a quick pic.

IMG_4810.JPG

If you zoom in, you can see the red undertone that @Monitor & @JMax mentioned earlier. His jacket is probably from the earlier eras. Shit is unnreal, eh! :cool:

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
Awesome. Thank you for the insights. Looks like I've got myself a nice 70s-80s Fidelity soon.

I'll probably post some pics here if I end up getting them (if you don't mind). The seller quoted me 280 CAD (~200 USD) so I might try to haggle it down a little.

Btw, I don't know if you know of Justin Theroux, but this dude rocks the hell out of Fidelity. Here is a quick pic.

View attachment 506529

If you zoom in, you can see the red undertone that @Monitor & @JMax mentioned earlier. His jacket is probably from the earlier eras. Shit is unnreal, eh! :cool:

Thanks again.
Is that what people are referring to as red? Yes, that's the way they used to wear.
I was a young headbanger in the early 80s, and all of us had these coats. Literally everywhere. I can still find them around here on Craigslist + FB Marketplace in decent shape sometimes between $40 and 60 US. They were made less than an hours drive away, and you'd pass 5 or 6 stores selling them if you drove there.
Please do include some pics when your coat comes in.

Last edited:

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
I've been watching out for a Fidelity myself. Not seeing any lately in a larger size that aren't overly beaten up. thanks for the pics and info on this brand!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points