Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any modern hat makers who make real Milan and/or Boater hats?

Yes, You’re right I realize now I wasn’t connecting all the dots in my thought process. OP was referring to the original wheat Milan.
This is a hemp Milan probably similar to Akubra hemp straw hats that I have.
I just know I do not care at all for synthetic - polypropylene straw hats. My head suffocates.

I like the hemp hats. They're heavier than the real thing, but still pretty airy.

I like the hemp hats. They're heavier than the real thing, but still pretty airy.
When we travel in central Washington state there is an agricultural section with fields of hemp AND large signage fronting the fields informing us city folk that this is NOT smokable marijuana. It is hemp for industrial purposes please leave it the hell alone.

Just received notification from Wellema Hats that he is now accepting orders for his Milan straw offering.

Looks like he is ready for it ...

1680819029594.png

Stetson have a boater in the current line in a very traditional weave. The darker colour may not appeal to all; I find it quite beautiful. Serious reduction, obviously clearing stick this late in the season, large only (58-59), Euro 59.00:

https://stetson.eu/en/boater-palm-boater-with-uv-protection-brown

If this was available one size down, I'd have one on the way to me already...
It always confuses me....how can a hatter sell a hat as a 58-59? I am a 59cm........58cm do not fit me. So I never buy hats listed this way as there is a high probability it will just not fit.

Edward

Bartender
It always confuses me....how can a hatter sell a hat as a 58-59? I am a 59cm........58cm do not fit me. So I never buy hats listed this way as there is a high probability it will just not fit.

It makes more logical sense in a cap than a brimmed hat, certainly. My own experience suggests, though, that a 58/59 - in my case 56/57 - fits the upper size well, and the lower size sort of in a hat like this. Shame there's no mediums left at that price, or I'd have a good go at finding out! Not so keen on the band on that one, but easily replaced. I do like the darker straw. I have two good boaters already, but they're both a lighter, 'natural' colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm