Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any motorcyclists into Vanson motorcycle jackets? Recommend me one.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
That's nice.
How do they deal with balooning? is the back also perforated?

These sport rider models all (I think) have two rear zip vents low down on the sides on the back of the jacket to deal with the airflow ‘exhaust’. There a similar arrangement on many of the more sporty bates jackets and I guess some other brands too. They seem to work surprisingly well. I think only the Vanson hurricane model has perforations on the back as well as the front (the entire jacket is made from perforated leather, but there’s no venting adjustment of course).

The heavyweight nature of vanson leather jackets, which you’re of course far more familiar with than most given your wonderful collection, and the close fitting nature of these sport rider models probably helps with minimising ballooning too. Granted it’s not perforated, but I’ve never had any real issues with my CSRX ballooning even on very hot days touring abroad on motorways with the (aftermarket added) chest zips open, the main zip at half mast and doing illegal speeds t keep cool on an unfaired bike. I guess being canted over when riding like this helps somewhat, as does having to slow down after a while when my neck muscles can’t take trying to keep my head on my shoulders any longer!

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
As promised , the Vanson Comet perforated for today's coastal Harley ride. 27C but humid , or "muggy".
PERFECT jacket for today , any other leather would have stuck to me at the red stoplights.
On the move at 80Km/H this was excellently "breezy". Indeed at 110 Km/h it would have been "too cool"
On today's ride the max roadspeed was 80 Km/H in any case so as said , perfect for today.
Photo taken after our mid morning Beer stop , one pint of "Captain Sensible" pale ale ( that's me haha...)
Photo used in other threads so no forum whingeing peeps !

Vanson perforated Comet 23rd January 2021.jpg

As promised , the Vanson Comet perforated for today's coastal Harley ride. 27C but humid , or "muggy".
PERFECT jacket for today , any other leather would have stuck to me at the red stoplights.
On the move at 80Km/H this was excellently "breezy". Indeed at 110 Km/h it would have been "too cool"
On today's ride the max roadspeed was 80 Km/H in any case so as said , perfect for today.
Photo taken after our mid morning Beer stop , one pint of "Captain Sensible" pale ale ( that's me haha...)
Photo used in other threads so no forum whingeing peeps !

View attachment 303276

Was wondering where you been but all good! :D Y'know, I'm finally starting to figure out Australia weather 'cause of your daily reports. I always thought it's 40c there or more in the wasteland, where the motorcycle gangs attack oil rigs. Agreed, Vanson is the best for any kind of undesirable weather. I've been told Perforated leather even somehow stops rain from going in but dunno.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Hey hey "Mad Max" indeed. Late 70's extravaganza. Not filmed in WA but all in country Victoria in the east. A cult movie series to the max indeed ! No Vanson jackets in that movie I suspect....
I have not "tried" my perforated Vanson in the rain but suspect it would wet thru'. I try not to ride in the rain mostly because the roads atte too slippery after long dry periods AND the bikes get too dirty! That plus it is like a Japanese game show where you lie in mud and eat live worms ! NO THANKS haha..

Richiefell

New in Town
great thread! I've been lurking on here for months now..mostly just reading review/fit comments regarding Vansons Jackets.. its funny how initially i wanted to get the left field collab... but the Gambler & Daredevil have really been growing on me. I just moved from Philly area to Austin Texas so i have more riding days ahead of me.. does anyone have any feedback of these two styles??? Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
Hey hey "Mad Max" indeed. Late 70's extravaganza. Not filmed in WA but all in country Victoria in the east. A cult movie series to the max indeed ! No Vanson jackets in that movie I suspect....
I have not "tried" my perforated Vanson in the rain but suspect it would wet thru'. I try not to ride in the rain mostly because the roads atte too slippery after long dry periods AND the bikes get too dirty! That plus it is like a Japanese game show where you lie in mud and eat live worms ! NO THANKS haha..

Definitely no Vansons. The jackets in MM were interesting in and of themselves - a very distinctive cut, neither British nor American (though very much American inspired) that was characteristic of jackets on sale / made in or produced for the local market at the time. In the first film, I gather a lot of jackets were actually vinyl owing to their budget restrictions!

Peacoat

Bartender
I have the Vanson Enfield in Competition weight from about 10 years ago. Initially stiff and uncomfortable, but it softened nicely after probably a year. That and the Johnson are my two favorite riding jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112