Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any opinions on my $17 homburg?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
That's a phenomenonaly low price for that hat!

You scored, bud!

BTW, did you post these comments (you expert!):

Q: Hi. What a terrific old hat.It is not, however, a derby. As the words HOMBURG TWENTY imply, the style is a homburg. Named for the German town where the style originated, it is usually a fairly high-crowned hat, and is distinctive for its single center dent or crease running front to back, with a curled brim. Snyder notes in his book, STETSON HATS, that EdwardVII, King of England, popularized the style in England, and it was quite popular here through the 1940's. The brand of your hat is Disney (nothing to do with Walt)...a very old hat company, but under the Frank H.Lee hat company umbrella when that company was acquired by Stetson in 1960. Your hat's retailer/distributor was John David Inc., Fifth Ave. Measurement of inner circumference around sweatband relates to size because a man's hat size is the circumference of his head, measured in inches, divided by Pi (3.1428). 24 inches around your hat's sweatband would be just over a size 7 5/8. Anyway, am just browsing. Thanks.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
A solid lid...

Tough to beat a quality hat at a good price. Disney is a fine brand (that's a Disney Robin Hood Twenty in my avatar). Give us some better interior pix when you get it and we'll try to peg a date.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
It's a nice hat for the money , but the brim looks very small .I'd date the hat from the 1960's .:cool2:

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
snrbfshn Disney Comment...

Tough to beat a quality hat at a good price. Disney is a fine brand (that's a Disney Robin Hood Twenty in my avatar). Give us some better interior pix when you get it and we'll try to peg a date.

snrbfshn, or any of the rests of ya...,
The comment about disney hats, or should I say Mr. Disney hats reminds me that I had this question lurking in the back of my brain... Was Mr. Disney Hats a individual Hat Manufacturer or were they a sub-product of the likes of Dobbs?

In all my fascination with hats I have actually picked up a couple Mr. Disney Hats and when I received them, though the boxes had the Mr. Disney Hats art work on the outside, the shape of the boxes reminded me very much of Dobbs...
Were Mr. Disney Hats made by Dobbs? Anyone know.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Disney was a brand owned by the JH Hodson Company . I think it was started in the 1930's and lasted until the early 1960's when the line was most probably phased out . They made very colorful boxes that you see on Ebay sometimes .:cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy