Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any police officers/ex-police officers on here?

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
I better qualify my comments. Bear with me.

I am an old guy.
72 years old. (I feel like 92. But who's counting)
Maybe not the oldest person here.
Probably one of the newest.

I have ten years of active duty split between the Marines and Air Force.
I became a municipal police officer in 1963/4. (when Baggers carried "jacks, claws and saps").
I became a Detective in 1966.
Gideon,(no relation) Escobedo and Miranda were very new concepts.
Good guys were. Bad guys were. Sometimes they switched roles.
I was recruited to become a Deputy U.S. Marshal in 1970; working the Fugitive Squad and Witness Protection.
In 1972 they (the Marshal's Service) assigned me to D.A.L.E. (Drug Abuse Law Enforcement)the agency that covered the drug violations subject between the phasing out of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, and the newly formed Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
After a year I was recruited to an "alpha-bet" agency doing investigative/intelligence things. Bored, I applied for a position with the U.S.Customs Service and was accepted as a Patrol Officer.
Two years later I was a Port Investigator, then a Supervisory Patrol Officer.
a little luck bought me a job as an Intelligence Officer, and then Special Agent.
I investigated mostly money laundering, technology transfers, and drug and weapons smuggling violations, but have a pretty sound range of fraud and general investigations as well.
I honorably retired after a total of thirty four years and eleven months, in law enforcement.
After retirement I worked as a Grant funded Intelligence analyst for a couple of local Police departments, but I have found that my ability to put up with administratively created BS has completely evaporated.

I have a particular interest in personal weapons, and rarely pass a week without firing 300 or more rounds, from a large caliber handgun(which I carry everyday, as I have since getting out of the police academy in 1964)
I recently have added frequent firing of an AR-15 type carbine.

Off the subject at hand, I am an avid fan of Jazz; with a large collection of Stan Getz, Kenny Barron, Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderly, Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, and other "vintage musical geniuses".

I chew cigars, drink Talisker or Lagavulin, and like Jack Vettriano prints.
I have a pretty neat collection of vintage clothing stuff. A lot of it purchased when it was new and in style the first time. I still wear it.

Man,...this is like therapy.

Flora

Familiar Face
I will say I had a very good time reading through all of this. I used to want to be a cop, but when I heard of all the stuff cops sometimes have to handle I got way scared! So congrats to all the cops on here because you managed to do something in your lives that I'd never be able to do, and I've been fighting since the age of 10! (at a league, and I'm 16). I was also made an offer for the army by someone before but I'm definitely too scared for war as well lol. So to anyone doing such dangerous jobs, also firefighters, then many props to you! :D

I would like to know if there are any criminals..ex-offenders...or retired bad guys among us. I have had my suspicions...but not really sure. Please fess up...and detail some of your experiences...and remember...what is admitted here..stays here for the most part....:D
HD

Flora

Familiar Face
HoosierDaddy said:
I would like to know if there are any criminals..ex-offenders...or retired bad guys among us. I have had my suspicions...but not really sure. Please fess up...and detail some of your experiences...and remember...what is admitted here..stays here for the most part....:D
HD
I crank called the police once and got in shit for that. Hey, I was a kid, it was a fun time! :p
Also I helped out a buddy with a place to stay when he got in trouble with the law. Didn't have the heart to let him go to jail at the time.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
! Crank called the Police when I was a kid.

Flora said:
I crank called the police once and got in shit for that. Hey, I was a kid, it was a fun time! :p
Also I helped out a buddy with a place to stay when he got in trouble with the law. Didn't have the heart to let him go to jail at the time.

As a patrolman I used to work a fairly nasty piece of geography. As a newbie I got the 3 to 11 shift. (with Wed and Thurs off)
THAT meant that Friday nights (payday) started my week. Crank calls were pretty few and far between. People in my Rosa Zona were too busy sticking steak knives into each other, shooting holes through each other or pouring boiling lye over each other to want a Bagger to show up for fun.lol
It bugged the Dispatchers a lot more than the street hogs who had to respond.
Still and all, it is not a very clever thing to do. After all, one never knows when one actually **NEEDS** some assistance, and goodwill is a comodity that spoils like cream left sitting in the sun.:D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Anyone have the feeling that over the years, as police work has become more sophisticated and regimented, and civic awareness has decreased even among peaceful citizens, the force is more and more "separate" from the people it's out there to protect?

(If this isn't the place to raise this question, I apologize and will withdraw it.)

Flora

Familiar Face
Gideon Ashe said:
As a patrolman I used to work a fairly nasty piece of geography. As a newbie I got the 3 to 11 shift. (with Wed and Thurs off)
THAT meant that Friday nights (payday) started my week. Crank calls were pretty few and far between. People in my Rosa Zona were too busy sticking steak knives into each other, shooting holes through each other or pouring boiling lye over each other to want a Bagger to show up for fun.lol
It bugged the Dispatchers a lot more than the street hogs who had to respond.
Still and all, it is not a very clever thing to do. After all, one never knows when one actually **NEEDS** some assistance, and goodwill is a comodity that spoils like cream left sitting in the sun.:D
haha, you should try where I live. lol
Also, I know it wasn't a smart thing to do. I was a kid, therefore a dumbass :D

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the favorable comments.

:)
BegintheBeguine said:
Interesting posts, Gideon Ashe. I would like to hear more. Welcome from me to the Lounge. No, I'm not in law enforcement but I have called them on several occasions, unfortunately. Glad you all are there and thanks.

By the by, I have a remarkably beautiful but totally brainless Siamese Sealpoint just like the Piwacket you ( and Ms.Novak) are holding in the avatar.
Her name is BatSheba <call name Sheba>.
She is lucky to be installed in our family. None other would keep her safe and secure.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Well, after reading the great posts by Mr. Gideon Ashe, I feel that my time/experience with the Police Department (with good reason) pale in comparison.

I tip my hat to you sir (and a hearty Semper Fi!), and defer questions in your direction.

Welcome!

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Mr.Ashe was my father

Gaige said:
Well, after reading the great posts by Mr. Gideon Ashe, I feel that my time/experience with the Police Department (with good reason) pale in comparison.

I tip my hat to you sir (and a hearty Semper Fi!), and defer questions in your direction.

Welcome!
I appreciate the respectfull reply. Very decent of you.
Everyone's life experiences are of value from the individual views as light bends through the crystal. Mine are no greater than yours. Just more of them based on the Chauncy effect of "being there".
If my experiences are well "tanned" it does not mean that yours are "pale".
Semper Fi, indeed.
Wear your armor, backup(if they let you) and check six.:D

Nashoba

One Too Many
Gaige said:

Welcome!

I"ll second Gaige on that Gideon. Your experience far eclipses mine as well. I'm facinated by the full and amazing career you must have had. And I'll add a second hearty Semper Fi as well :)
Welcome to the Lounge, I can tell you're going to be an amazing source of information....

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
What a warm and plesant welcome.

Thank you all for the kind greetings and warm welcome.
I assure you that although I may have a time and possibly an experience advantage, I am NOT Fearless Fosdick and Sgt.Joe Friday rolled into one.
I have had a few memorable evenings, and maybe more than one or two cold perspiration inducing events, but nothing that many others have not had.

I simply have been a very fortunate individual, and have been at the correct place at the correct time, and not buggered up the choices allowed me.
As Napoleon is alleged to have said (paraphrasing),..."Give me a lucky General over a brilliant one anytime".

Best advice for anyone in or wanting to enter law enforcement, other than wear your armor, record EVERYTHING on paper, practice with your weapon until your default accuracy is damned deadly, carry a backup handgun, and,................Take action! If you see something and your choice is to drive on or ignore the incident. Stop and investigate. Action rather than laziness will get you into more S--t than a dispatcher's respond to, ever could. And that is a GOOD thing as Martha Stewart would say.
That makes it YOUR generated case/call and although many times it will amount to nothing, nada, zippo, effes, zero, BUT sometimes it will be a biggie.
Those get you noticed as a "do'er and a potential candidate for bigger and better things." Never be slothful or lazy.

Whoops! Sorry. Almost sliped off my soap box.

The best day to you all.
Gideon Ashe:eek:

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Gideon Ashe said:
Best advice for anyone in or wanting to enter law enforcement, other than wear your armor, record EVERYTHING on paper, practice with your weapon until your default accuracy is damned deadly, carry a backup handgun, and,................Take action!
Gideon Ashe:eek:

AS a lawyer who spent 12 years as a prosecuting attorney (D.A.), I can only say "Amen". Your notes will save you in court, but if you don't do the rest as recommended here, you don't get to court. It always made me both laugh and cringe when I as a prosector would outshoot most of the officers during qualifying. When I'd show up for a search warrant wearing armor and two handguns, they thought I was strange. Just wanted to go home at the end of the night.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
WOW such great responses to my post! Gideon Ashe...I tip my hopefully soon-to-be police hat to you in respect. What an impressive career! I am heading up to the town today to check my exam results, so I'll let yall know as soon as I do!

Gideon Ashe, what part of Miami are you in (just out of curiosity). I'm from there, originally. My stomping grounds are Coral Gables, North Miami Beach, Westchester, and some parts of the City of Miami...also the somewhat newer Dolphin Mall is where I hang out when I'm down there sometimes.

jh225

New in Town
6String,

Not to burst your bubble and best of luck to you if you decide to follow through, but after 20 years of being in Law Enforcment, I can tell you this............The job is NOT the same (or even a close facsimally) as to what it was back then.

Everywhere you turn now, you will be scrutinized, second guessed, and thrown under a bus. I am not saying that myself or other overstep the line, but just trying to do your job will get you in front of your bosses.

Your local could be different, but the above is true for every single dept. I know of.

Overworked, underpaid, WAY underappreciated (especially by the admin), and "just another body" are the things that come to mind.

Again, no bubble bursting intended, just plain facts of life.

If I had to choose again and had a crystal ball, I would have done something else.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
jh225 said:
6String,

The job is NOT the same (or even a close facsimally) as to what it was back then.

Everywhere you turn now, you will be scrutinized, second guessed, and thrown under a bus. Again, no bubble bursting intended, just plain facts of life.

If I had to choose again and had a crystal ball, I would have done something else.

Sigh,........!!!!!
Yes.
I agree.
Now is not then. Maybe it never was.
Maybe I was too thick to know the difference, or did and did not care anyway. Who knows? :eek:

Surely, I am the product of my own life and followed the breadcrumbs I thought I saw.
Anyhow, LE was good to me.
It supported me and my family.
Gave me new adventures every single day and let me be a part of things others watch TV to experience vacariously.
I enjoyed it.
Maybe too much.
But given the opportunity the money and if, IF IF things were different (but they were not), I would rather have been an architect, a professional Jazz musician, a commercial artist, an actor (a LOT of that in LE) a artisan of some type; something else.
I dont know what.
Something.

Anyway. You are an adult. Do what you think you like.
It (LE) will pay your bills for a while.
If you do not care for it. Go to law school.
Every-swinging-richard does anyhow.
And the world can always use one more attorney.lol

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Gideon Ashe, what part of Miami are you in (just out of curiosity).

I am currently in the part of "greater Miami", better known as North Broward County.
The Fort Lauderdale area to be a bit more specific.

Plans are in place to build a bit further north, around Vero. Quieter, less density of population and more bucolic. Building site acqusition to be finalized in the next month or so, AFTER we have a chance to review the rain absorption factors of the property. Cannot be too careful, can you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24