Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Resistol Western experts?

citRon

A-List Customer
I have a black felt Resistol western I bought in 1997 or 98 for $109.99, it is an 'Ace High' model, sweat reads '4X Beaver'.
Is there any beaver in this or was it a marketing term or a 'finish' description?

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
You can tell by the price. Your hat is most likely pure rabbit. 4 beaver Resistols are very nice quality hats.

Justdog

Practically Family
Resistols

Uncle Vern said:
You can tell by the price. Your hat is most likely pure rabbit. 4 beaver Resistols are very nice quality hats.

Just took the plunge into Resistol, 5x Beaver , just excellent, 29 dollars inside sweat. Resistol Stetson are division of Hatco now are they not?

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
The best western hat store in America is eBay, and it's also "Resistol Central." As long as you can make sure the size is correct, the sweatband is intact and the hat isn't riddled with moth holes, you're good to go. Back in the Urban Cowboy days, Resistol went into manufacturing hyperspace and flooded the market with terrific, affordable cowboy hats. A lot of them are on eBay. And here in Austin, there are lots of good buys to be had in local thrift stores if you're patient.

I suspect that many old Urban Cowboys are dying and/or moving to smaller digs, and the hats and boots get pitched out to the thrift store, where I happily buy them. Plus, to some, western hats have always been an impulse buy, and their wives often take one look at a cowboy hat and banish it to the garage, if they even have one, to quote Charlie Daniels.
The new stuff is all stiff, lifeless crap unless you break down and order a custom lid made by the likes of someone like Major Moore. Don't even get me started on the lousy cowboy boots being foisted off on an unsuspecting public.

freebird

Practically Family
I picked up a Silver Belly Resistol 4x at a yard sale for 5 dollars a few years back.It appeared to have never been worn. It's one of my favorite western hats, really comfortable and nice enough for dress occasions.

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
You should see what goes on here in Austin with the cowboy hats and the Goodwill stores. For some reason, the Goodwill folks regard western hats with deep disdain. If you find a western hat there and you offer to buy it, they act as though you've just offered to remove a bucket full of baby poop from the store. They're even cheaper if they bent and crushed--they've never heard of steaming hats.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I got a Resistol 5X Rough Stock from eBay last year in perfect unworn condition, it's in heavyweight felt. This has become my favourite western in my meager collection.

Justdog

Practically Family
to quote Charlie Daniels.
The new stuff is all stiff, lifeless crap unless you break down and order a custom lid made by the likes of someone like Major Moore. Don't even get me started on the lousy cowboy boots being foisted off on an unsuspecting public.[/QUOTE]

Of the Charlie Daniels band?
Actually the Boulet are good value for the dollar, especially the US dollar

portolan

A-List Customer
My Favorite Resistol.....

Wonderfully soft......big big brim! Very popular in Chihuahua......been offered all kinds of things for it!

Resistol.jpg

VickHick

New in Town
I have a Resistol hat that I bought in 1975. I think it is a 3x, but not for sure. Wore it up through the end of the 80's. The sweatband started to come apart so I had a new band sewn in. I then had the had cleaned and blocked and put in back in the box is was purchased in. The hat looks almost brand new. It is a brown Cowboy hat. Any idea what it would be worth today. Think I payed 35 dollars for it brand new.

milandro

A-List Customer
I’ve just bought a Resistol Ohio model in light brown (or dark Tan you choose).
It is a hat with a fairly large “ western” brim and high crown. It came to me with a cattleman crease and a very high ribbon and the brim on both sides rather rolled.

This is a picture from before the conversion ( the ribbon has been changed with a leather band from another hat)

attachment.php

I wasn’t comfortable with wearing it in a urban context so I had it converted from a professional (Mr. Francesco Baldi owner of the shop “ Jos van Dijk “ in Utrecht, the Netherlands) by cutting down the brim to 8cm from the original 11cm. Once he did that I had to deal with the crown which resulted too tall and I reshaped the crease to a pinched teardrop ( rather John Wayne-ish).

I am now very happy with it.

I like the felt quality but there is no X designation so it may not contain any beaver. Anyone knows the composition? Attempts to get in touch with Resistol have resulted in two bouncing back emails (apparently they have a number of redirects there all of which bounced back).

This is my conversion
Resistol Conversion.jpg

:)This is my first post on this forum.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy