Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any wearer of the new Eastman WaHorse Monarch A-2?

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I am torn inbetween an Eastman 1401P Warhorse or a Monarch 23378 in WarHorse...
Like both...
Any expercience with the Monarch? I am an authenticity nerd.
Help and photos very welcome
Thx to all TFL members and seasons greetings.

"ICH BIN EIN BERLINER" (JFK 1963, June 26th)

kowalski

Practically Family
Hi Cooper

if I can help in choosing ; only Eastman 1401P ;)
I'm looking for a long time this model, and I hope that it will soon I be a happy owner only russet goatskn LE (300 piece) edytion from plus minus 97y :cool:

Achsoo

New in Town
I am torn inbetween an Eastman 1401P Warhorse or a Monarch 23378 in WarHorse...
Like both...
Any expercience with the Monarch? I am an authenticity nerd.
Help and photos very welcome
Thx to all TFL members and seasons greetings.

"ICH BIN EIN BERLINER" (JFK 1963, June 26th)
Hi Cooper A2,
I have the ELC monarch. It's a beautiful jacket indeed, warhorse, 5 years old, but still outstanding.
In terms of authenticity ; I'm no expert on this, (i'm sure there are others on the forum that are more informed than me) however, it is fitted with the original Talon zipper, but this is dull nickel, I believe they were blackened originally? and the Goodwear version may have this addition.
Fit wise; it is a nice roomy fit but not too blousy, the arms are long and allow for good forward reach without receding up the wrist.
I am 6' 2" tall with a 46" chest, I have a 48" Regular, which I think fits just perfect.
The leather is a little stiff but has a beautiful rich character with some mis-matching of grain across the panels adding a period feel.
I can't compare to the RW1401, I have never had one, but for a russet A2 and after trying on a 1401 at Flying Legends, I found the Monarch to be more comfortable.
I hope this has been helpful?

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Hi Cooper A2,
I have the ELC monarch. It's a beautiful jacket indeed, warhorse, 5 years old, but still outstanding.
In terms of authenticity ; I'm no expert on this, (i'm sure there are others on the forum that are more informed than me) however, it is fitted with the original Talon zipper, but this is dull nickel, I believe they were blackened originally? and the Goodwear version may have this addition.
Fit wise; it is a nice roomy fit but not too blousy, the arms are long and allow for good forward reach without receding up the wrist.
I am 6' 2" tall with a 46" chest, I have a 48" Regular, which I think fits just perfect.
The leather is a little stiff but has a beautiful rich character with some mis-matching of grain across the panels adding a period feel.
I can't compare to the RW1401, I have never had one, but for a russet A2 and after trying on a 1401 at Flying Legends, I found the Monarch to be more comfortable.
I hope this has been helpful?
Thx, appreciate!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi Cooper,
I assume you read my review of ELC's RW1401 here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/eastman-roughwear-1401-a-2-jacket-holy-grail.84433/

I had a Monarch before this:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/eastman-monarch-size-40l-brand-new.82652/

My honest opinion is that they are both top notch, both as authentic as they come, beautiful jackets, same Warhorse hide, but the pattern (and collar) is the big difference... And I guess this also depends on your body type.
I am relatively trim and found that the Monarch was a little constrictive, mostly when moving my arms forward or up. Felt a little tight in the chest, under the arms. It was a size 40L, same as my 1401. I could have gone up to a 42, and I tried one on at the ELC pop up, it felt good, but was then felt a touch roomy overall...
The 1401 in a 40L fits brilliant. For me, def easier to wear and still a sharp pattern.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Would you say that the Eastman monarch a2 is a comparable fit with eastmans M-422A? I have a 42L m442a by Eastman and it’s just a touch tight on me (granted I know it’s supposed to be a trim fit) and I’m looking at an Eastman monarch a2 44L which appears to be about the same measurements according to HPA website.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Would you say that the Eastman monarch a2 is a comparable fit with eastmans M-422A? I have a 42L m442a by Eastman and it’s just a touch tight on me (granted I know it’s supposed to be a trim fit) and I’m looking at an Eastman monarch a2 44L which appears to be about the same measurements according to HPA website.

They are indeed about the same, but please be wary of the longs if you are counting on the precision of the measures. We have to be very specific when ordering these to get precision because just ordering a long or extra long has proven to yield a jacket that could have one of the two measures being between the regular and long.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
They are indeed about the same, but please be wary of the longs if you are counting on the precision of the measures. We have to be very specific when ordering these to get precision because just ordering a long or extra long has proven to yield a jacket that could have one of the two measures being between the regular and long.

So when I find a long, it may not be a true long (aka 1” longer than standard)?

HPA Rep

Vendor
So when I find a long, it may not be a true long (aka 1” longer than standard)?

Please remember that our listed measures are stated as being averages taken from no less than five jackets in each size and this is related to the fact that the tolerance on some seams, especially lengths, is +/- 0.5". If you start off with a garment that is minus 0.5" as a regular, the long continues in this same direction, and in the last years of recall I have seen more jackets with mixed lengths made as longs, which has led to ordering in very specific terms when it comes to a long or extra long. Simply placing an order for a long and getting exactly that in turn was more precise in years gone by, so if buying used, you need to keep this in mind.

Having said all of that, you have the size working for you in that a 44 is a fairly long garment as a regular, so unless you are 6' 4" tall or more, a split between long and regular should be fine. Good luck!

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
I actually am 6’4” which is why I’m always struggling to find a long enough jacket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo