Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AmateisGal said:
Goal Update

Goal: To finish chapter six - GOAL MET

Total word count this weekend: 4,000

Not too shabby...:)

Wow, no kidding! See, I should have been working towards my goal, but instead, I've been researching fabrics so I could update my fabric glossary on the Lounge. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

I promise I will work towards my goal!! :rage: lol

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Wow, no kidding! See, I should have been working towards my goal, but instead, I've been researching fabrics so I could update my fabric glossary on the Lounge. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

I promise I will work towards my goal!! :rage: lol

Ten lashes with a wet noodle! :whip:

:D :D :D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I had a full out with a literary agency and I just got the rejection this morning. :(

Sometimes, I really, really get tired of this game...

Undertow

AmateisGal said:
I had a full out with a literary agency and I just got the rejection this morning. :(

Sometimes, I really, really get tired of this game...

:mad: Darnit!

I know, it makes you just want to give up, doesn't it? And then some agent goes and says, "Blah blah, your idea isn't right for this market, blah blah."

But then you go to a book store and see 17 different books about dog's wearing bow ties! Who reads this stuff?! :rage:

Well, keep it up kid! I know we're behind you!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
:mad: Darnit!

I know, it makes you just want to give up, doesn't it? And then some agent goes and says, "Blah blah, your idea isn't right for this market, blah blah."

But then you go to a book store and see 17 different books about dog's wearing bow ties! Who reads this stuff?! :rage:

Well, keep it up kid! I know we're behind you!

You are SO right. When I was in Barnes and Noble the other weekend, I found a ton of World War 2 books. I thought, what do you MEAN you can't sell WW2?

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Sorry to hear that, AG. The rejections on the fulls are the hardest.

I've started to look into self-pub, and have even begun formatting it in Adobe InDesign. I'm hoping this will be a car wash sort of thing - that after I put in two weeks of typesetting and another two for cover design, all the hard work, I'll get an agent.

The more I research the market, though, the more I realize what a complete mess it's in. It also hit me that I have so little interest in the zeitgeist of the 21st Century (whatever it is) that I shouldn't be wondering why agents and publishers have so little interest in my work. How many of them know or care about the culture or zeitgeist of another era? If any of them did, I should think we'd have at least one or two of them as FL members, but that doesn't seem to be the case, does it? Well, if nothing comes from the last batch of queries I sent out, I'll go the self-pub/Amazon route and market myself on all the vintage/cocktail sites.

Better luck to all.

Regards,

Jack

Undertow

Senator Jack said:
Sorry to hear that, AG. The rejections on the fulls are the hardest.

I've started to look into self-pub, and have even begun formatting it in Adobe InDesign. I'm hoping this will be a car wash sort of thing - that after I put in two weeks of typesetting and another two for cover design, all the hard work, I'll get an agent.

The more I research the market, though, the more I realize what a complete mess it's in. It also hit me that I have so little interest in the zeitgeist of the 21st Century (whatever it is) that I shouldn't be wondering why agents and publishers have so little interest in my work. How many of them know or care about the culture or zeitgeist of another era? If any of them did, I should think we'd have at least one or two of them as FL members, but that doesn't seem to be the case, does it? Well, if nothing comes from the last batch of queries I sent out, I'll go the self-pub/Amazon route and market myself on all the vintage/cocktail sites.

Better luck to all.

Regards,

Jack

Now there's an idea, Jack!

I realize self-pub'ing can be both expensive and exhaustive, but if you fit in a niche, and you're not "representable", you could very well make something of it.

And wouldn't that be nice, the car was effect! You've been selling your novel for a few months when someone sees it and offers you big money to publish it and/or turn it into a movie.

I've thought about going down that road myself, because I don't honestly think any right-minded business would want my current novel. On the other hand...I don't think any right-minded person would want my novel either. lol :eusa_doh:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
LocktownDog said:
Anyone into writing historical non-fiction? This place may be interested.
http://www.dragoonpublishing.com/publications.html

Y'know, if I would ever get my act together and write a complete book on the German POW camp at Fort Robinson, Nebraska, I would definitely be interested in a publisher like this. I did my graduate thesis on it and it's a fascinating story.

For some reason, though, I've been dragging my feet. I know the curator of the Fort Rob museum isn't going to write the book and I don't know of anyone else that is attempting it. I've got almost everything I need as far as material goes, though I'm sure I'll probably find the need to go unearth more.

Non-fiction is a different beast than fiction and I'd much rather write the latter. :D

Undertow

AmateisGal said:
Non-fiction is a different beast than fiction and I'd much rather write the latter. :D

OMG, isn't that the truth! I was commissioned to write a bigraphy about a disabled woman and her struggle to receive equal treatment at a state facility. Long story short, it was an interesting story, but I just couldn't tackle it for the life of me. [huh]

Undertow

Undertow said:
Ok, so with AG's suggestion in mind, my goal for 09/03 will be to send 3 query letters to 3 unsuspecting agents lol , and to complete chapter 2 of my little detective novel. Anyone else taking the challenge? ;)

Well, I got the second part done! Unfortunately, I didn't query a single agent. I don't want to say I've already given up, but many of my first choices are shot now. I have a few remaining, but at this point, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best to wait. Wait for what? I don't know.

On the other hand, a friend of mine who's involved in all sorts of wheelings and dealings (everything from his own shirt company to leather masks, art, videography, etc) says he has someone lined up to publish one of my short stories into a children's book. lol Well, hey, if the kids are reading about 1930's animal butchery, you bet! I have to check into this further and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Yay on meeting part of your goal! :)

I was woefully inadequate on writing over the long weekend. I had all the time in the world - no plans to interfere - and I wanted until Monday morning to start. Sigh...

I have a huge problem with resistance, as Steven Pressfield talks about in his book, The War of Art.

Undertow

AmateisGal said:
Yay on meeting part of your goal! :)

I was woefully inadequate on writing over the long weekend. I had all the time in the world - no plans to interfere - and I wanted until Monday morning to start. Sigh...

I have a huge problem with resistance, as Steven Pressfield talks about in his book, The War of Art.

Hey, that sounds like a cool book! Thanks for the recommendation.

I enjoyed Zen In the Art of Writing. That book really inspired me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW