Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

Still waiting to hear back from a few agents and publishers on this last round, but in interim, I'm getting everything ready. If I don't get a bite in the next month month or two, I'll go either the Lulu or CreateSpace route. I know there's a cocktail-culture market for the book, and it's an untapped one at that. My problem's always been being five years ahead of the curve.

Derek WC

Banned
Undertow said:
Will it be an entire novel, short story, or essay?

It's going to be a short story. I've got the first part nailed, but I'm kind of stuck on a specific part. It's set it WWI in Western Europe. Kind of a horror/mystery story, going with the rumors of Nazi's coming alive after they've been killed.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Derek WC said:
It's going to be a short story. I've got the first part nailed, but I'm kind of stuck on a specific part. It's set it WWI in Western Europe. Kind of a horror/mystery story, going with the rumors of Nazi's coming alive after they've been killed.

So you mean WWII, right? You're first post mentioned WWI as well.

I don't think the Nazi party was formed until the late '20s, if memory serves me. In those early days, they were nothing more than crackpot drunks locked away in the backrooms of pubs. Not much to worry about. ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
So you mean WWII, right? You're first post mentioned WWI as well.

I don't think the Nazi party was formed until the late '20s, if memory serves me. In those early days, they were nothing more than crackpot drunks locked away in the backrooms of pubs. Not much to worry about. ;)

Bingo.

For some reason, this brought to mind Indiana Jones when he says, "Nazis. I hate these guys."

Undertow

AmateisGal said:
Bingo.

For some reason, this brought to mind Indiana Jones when he says, "Nazis. I hate these guys."

Haha, yeah. The '20's era German Workers Party crowd was typically defeated with flat beer, undercooked wurst and the occassional angry Frau at home. ;)

Derek WC

Banned
While the Nazi party was not formed until a little while later, it was the same concept with the Nazi's of the second great war: they still saw them as evil.

Undertow

AmateisGal said:
My status on Facebook today:

"Dear Literary Agents who Keep Rejecting Me: Your loss."

:mad:

:eek: Well, I know just how you feel. I keep telling myself not to give up, but I haven't sent a letter out in a while, and I just don't feel up to it.

I'm focusing on my current material - which I'm sure is utterly boring - and working to finish previous projects.

How are you doing, Jack?
How far have you got on your story, Derek?

AmateisGal said:
My status on Facebook today:

"Dear Literary Agents who Keep Rejecting Me: Your loss."

:mad:

That is the spirit. What keeps me going is that I have absolutely no fear of rejection. I keep thinking of the old gag, "I've been thrown out of places better than this."

What's funny is that the industry considers a sell-through of 3,000 units a success. That's it: 3,000. That's the acceptable profit margin. As I'm going through my final proof here, I keep thinking, "I know with just a little marketing, I can sell at least that," and yet no one wants to touch it. Am I deluded? I don't think so. Cocktail culture is so incredibly huge right now that every other schnook who's put three ingredients together seems to have a blog or a book deal. At least I learned my craft well enough to put a sentence together.

I've been doing a lot of research on the self-pub route. Seems the best place for P.O.D. is Lightning Source, who make no promises of getting you distributed to book stores but will if they particularly like your work and will at least get you listed on Amazon if they don't. You just have to EVERYTHING your self, such as what I'm doing. Layout, typesetting, proofs, cover, ISBN, Publishing logo.(Still can't figure out what I want to call the imprint.)

I'm waiting to hear back from one publisher that I sent to on Monday. If that one's a no go,then I'm on my own.

Regards,

Jack

Undertow

AmateisGal said:
How is the writing going, gents?

Ugh, big slow down. I've been really busy the last three weeks. I wrote that Textile Compendium for the Lounge two weeks ago. I started on tearing apart, cleaning and sewing back together some hats last week. And I'm trying to slog my way through some ammo reloading this weeks (with 3 different calibers!).

And I've been busy at work! :eek:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Ugh, big slow down. I've been really busy the last three weeks. I wrote that Textile Compendium for the Lounge two weeks ago. I started on tearing apart, cleaning and sewing back together some hats last week. And I'm trying to slog my way through some ammo reloading this weeks (with 3 different calibers!).

And I've been busy at work! :eek:

It's been really SLOW at work for me, so I took advantage of it yesterday and wrote 2,000 words. And of course, when I got home, instead of writing more, I took a nap. Ha!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"...The main thing is to write
for the joy of it. Cultivate a work-lust
that imagines its haven like your hands at night
dreaming the sun in the sunspot of the breasts."

Seamus Heaney

Early morning thoughts of Celine (and Joyce). Qu'est-ce qu'ils faisaient, eux?
:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot