Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I am currently researching info on the Edgecombe Guards. They were a militia unit in NC at the beginning of "The War Against Northern Aggression". I am writing a book about their history. I am a reenactor for that time period and my unit portrays them. I am also looking into doing either an adventure story set in the 30s to 40s or even a Noir for that time period. I have also thought about doing a modern Noir where the detective is fascinated with movie detectives of the golden era and has that kind of style. Kind of like The Man with Bogart's Face type deal. He could be named Spade Marlowe because his parents were big Bogey fans. I think that would be a fun character to write.

=GG=

Sounds fascinating! Go for it!

Rathdown

Practically Family
Haha! I wish! Still have to get an agent and then a publisher to buy it. :)
My wife sold her first book without an agent, and wasn't represented until an agent approached her long about her 20th-something book. A cover letter, a dyn-o-mite sample chapter, and a good outline will still attract an editor's attention.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My wife sold her first book without an agent, and wasn't represented until an agent approached her long about her 20th-something book. A cover letter, a dyn-o-mite sample chapter, and a good outline will still attract an editor's attention.

Only problem with that is that more and more publishers - at least the big ones - won't even look at you unless you have an agent. Since I'm interested in those particular publishers, I figure I need an agent. :)

Rathdown

Practically Family
My wife's first 20-odd books were published by Ballantyne Books and Del Ray Books, all of which was done without agency representation (and all of which, I believe, are still in print). Rather than try to find an agent, you need to meet an editor....

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Yes - that would be the way to go. :) I'd say it's only been in the last 5-7 years or so that the major publishers have started going to agent-only submissions. She may have been fortunate and got in on the game before that.

Ideally, I should go to some conferences and meet editors, but since I have no extra funds for that, I have to do it this way, I guess. :)

Stormy

A-List Customer
I'm an aspiring writer hoping to take a fiction writing class/seminar. I'm just never sure of what to look for in a course. Has anyone ever taken a class or could offer titles of some good writing guides? I've written a few good short stories. At least my students say they are good.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Personally, I didn't get much from King's book:
My recommendations would be:

The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Egri
The Art of Creative Writing by Lajos Egri
The Art of Fiction by John Gardner
On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner
The Spooky Art by Norman Mailer
Story by Robert McKee
The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker

Taz-man

Familiar Face
I am working on a novel set in rural Virginia at the end of World War Two. The main character will have trouble with PTSD and it will be how he gets past his demons and get on with the rest of his life.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Ah! Just found my answer (I asked whether you were writing fiction or nonfiction in the WW2 thread...).

Awesome subject. I highly recommend a book called "Soldier from the War Returning" by Thomas Childers. It addresses the difficulties of PTSD and other issues vets faced when they came back home.

Taz-man

Familiar Face
Thanks for all of your help. I am still in the research and development of the characters stage right now. It has been a long process and I haven't even started writing yet.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I am working on a novel set in rural Virginia at the end of World War Two. The main character will have trouble with PTSD and it will be how he gets past his demons and get on with the rest of his life.

Have you ever read Sidney Lanier's The Marshes of Glynn?
And, if you have, did you listen to Lanier's words as you read them?

The Civil War generation was largely silent; however, Lanier is quite exceptional. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Just thought I'd pop in to drop the name of a publisher that accepts submissions from un-agented fiction authors. I was catching up with an old friend when it came up that one of his relatives, an author, is now in the publishing biz. That's all I got....for what it's worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner