Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
How interesting and exciting! Good luck with that, I hope this one gets accepted like your other article did. That one was a great and fascinating read. :)

-Kristi

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
How interesting and exciting! Good luck with that, I hope this one gets accepted like your other article did. That one was a great and fascinating read. :)

-Kristi

Thank you so much! Yes, this next one has already been accepted. Look for it in the fall! I will announce which issue it will be in when I know. :)

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
How much time do they give you from when you send your article, to when it is officially accpeted? This is after rewrites, if any. Do they pay you if your article is submitted? Just wondering, because there are some places that pay and others that do not.

-Kristi

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
From what I've seen of submitting pieces to magazines and journals, you're paid if the article is accepted and published. But you don't get paid for merely submitting it.

Right now, I wish I could find somewhere to send my stories. Problem is, the word-lengths are an issue. I wonder if they'd take them in installments or chapters...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Submitting an article unsolicited is called writing "on spec" -- if the piece wasn't commissioned by the publication, they have no obligation to pay for it, read it, or even send it back. If an article is specifically commissioned by the publication, on the other hand, they might pay before publication depending on their individual policy. Everything I've ever had published in a magazine has been pay-on-publication, but I've had a couple of pieces in books that were paid on acceptance, sometimes years before the book was actually published.

The "Writer's Market" will usually list the specific pay policies of the publication you're looking at, as well as whether they accept unsolicited manuscripts -- many do, but some don't, so it's best to be sure before submitting.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Yep - mine were "on spec." The first one I sold was after I sent a query letter asking if they'd like to see it. They did - I sent them the finished article and they decided to publish it.

Plus, once you get a relationship established with a magazine, it's a lot easier to work with them.

Shangas - I wish you luck in getting your short fiction published. I love how the magazines from the Golden Era had so much fiction published in them. A lot of writers made a good living that way.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
How much time do they give you from when you send your article, to when it is officially accpeted? This is after rewrites, if any. Do they pay you if your article is submitted? Just wondering, because there are some places that pay and others that do not.

-Kristi

The time frame really depends on the magazine. This was a paying market.

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
What do you write in a query letter--do you just introduce yourself and give a brief description of what your article is about? I'm thinking of writing to a couple of magazines. I've never had anything published in a magazine before.

-Kristi

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Kristi - There are some really good examples online of how to write query letters to a magazine. For me, I started with a paragraph to hook the editor's interest, outlined what the article was about, and included a brief bio of my published work and experience.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Shangas - I wish you luck in getting your short fiction published. I love how the magazines from the Golden Era had so much fiction published in them. A lot of writers made a good living that way.

Thanks!

Yes, a lot of famous writers started out that way - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Charles Dickens among them.

Problem is, I can't find many of the same such magazines/journals here in Australia. I have found one, but I'll need to tailor my writing a bit to fit it into their parameters.

Oh, and I sent off my piece to the Reader's Digest this week after a few alterations and edits.

*Crosses fingers for money*

In the meantime, I'm on the sixth page of writing my new murder-mystery short-story/novella.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!

Yes, a lot of famous writers started out that way - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Charles Dickens among them.

Problem is, I can't find many of the same such magazines/journals here in Australia. I have found one, but I'll need to tailor my writing a bit to fit it into their parameters.

Oh, and I sent off my piece to the Reader's Digest this week after a few alterations and edits.

*Crosses fingers for money*

In the meantime, I'm on the sixth page of writing my new murder-mystery short-story/novella.

Well done on sending your work out!

Y'know, I had a brainstorm once, to start a magazine dedicated to publishing short stories set in the Golden Era - a real magazine, not an e-zine or online publication. Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere near the money it would take to do something like this. But it sure would be fun. I'd love to give short stories a rebirth in popular magazines instead of just lit journals.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was growing up "Yankee" magazine, "The Magazine of New England," published some of the best short fiction in the business, in all styles -- atmospheric, suspense, humor -- and I really looked forward to every issue. And then they got a new "hip" editor who turned it into a glossy "lifestyle" publication for people who want to pretend they were born here, and the fiction was the first thing they dropped. Apparently the kind of people who read magazine fiction aren't the kind of people hip, upscale advertisers want to reach.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
When I was growing up "Yankee" magazine, "The Magazine of New England," published some of the best short fiction in the business, in all styles -- atmospheric, suspense, humor -- and I really looked forward to every issue. And then they got a new "hip" editor who turned it into a glossy "lifestyle" publication for people who want to pretend they were born here, and the fiction was the first thing they dropped. Apparently the kind of people who read magazine fiction aren't the kind of people hip, upscale advertisers want to reach.

Short fiction has virtually disappeared in mainstream magazines. Ladies Home Journal used to be huge for publishing fiction - and even whole novels. Same with Saturday Evening Post and many, many others. I think I still remember reading fiction in the LHJ back in the 80s, but it disappeared shortly after that.

There is a much bigger short fiction market in the magazines in England. Shangas, you may want to check that out...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have found one magazine based in Australia. I sent an email to the submissions editor or whatever her title was, last year, to ask about sending things in (as some of the criteria on the website were a bit hard to understand).

Effectively, their word-limit for pieces is, in her words, about 8,000 words (by my reckoning, about 16 pages of text).

Which is fine, but my pieces tend to be longer than that, sometimes not by much, sometimes by a great deal.

My last story was 57 pages (and 25,000 words)!!

So if I send something there (and I do hope to, in the future), it'll have to be something really short. And I'm not very good with really short stuff...

Pompidou

One Too Many
When I first started writing with the intent to publish, everyone urged me to stick to the short stories I was good at - that there were "lots of" magazines that published those things. Doesn't seem to be true. I don't think the right way to produce a full novel. My stories always want to end quickly. I watch DVDs by skipping to the good parts, and I write the same. If I ever get my poem serial published in a magazine or paper, I'll let you know which one.

Nobody really even subscribes to magazines these days, so it may not be worth it, but I'd welcome the idea of a third party valuing my work, or not - there's a lot to be said for a good downtrodden underdog story, and you don't get one by winning.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I started a western fiction magazine (FAR WEST) back in 1978, and over the course of five years (and five golden spur awards for short fiction) managed to loose a little over $500k before calling it quits and killing off the title. Surprisingly people still buy, subscribe to, and read magazines (there are probably 300 titles on sale at my local Books-A-Million store); the difficulty for a publisher comes when trying to balance the cost of production (staff and paying writers, overheads, etc.) and the cost of printing (both ink and paper are petrochemical products) and sales. Most magazines achieve about 30-35% newsstand sales (for every 100 copies put out on the stands about 30-35 copies are sold); printing costs can be as high as 40% of the cover price, and distributors generally take a 30% commission, leaving the publisher with about 30% of the retail cover price-- out of which he has to pay the writers, pay his staff, and -- hopefully -- pay himself. So, if you distribute 100k copies to newsstands, you might sell 35,000. If the cover price is $5 that's total sales of $175,000, of which the publisher receives about $50,000 from which he has to pay all of his costs. A small publisher would probably get by with a staff of eight, with an average paycheck of about $1,000 per week (a low figure for the publishing industry). This works out to a spend of $32,000 per month for staff, which leaves the publisher with $18,000 per month for things like rent, heat, electricity, employee health benefits, and -- oh yes -- buying in the stories that he publishes. A 5% bump in the price of oil, and a publisher can be out of business in 90 days...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I started a western fiction magazine (FAR WEST) back in 1978, and over the course of five years (and five golden spur awards for short fiction) managed to loose a little over $500k before calling it quits and killing off the title. Surprisingly people still buy, subscribe to, and read magazines (there are probably 300 titles on sale at my local Books-A-Million store); the difficulty for a publisher comes when trying to balance the cost of production (staff and paying writers, overheads, etc.) and the cost of printing (both ink and paper are petrochemical products) and sales. Most magazines achieve about 30-35% newsstand sales (for every 100 copies put out on the stands about 30-35 copies are sold); printing costs can be as high as 40% of the cover price, and distributors generally take a 30% commission, leaving the publisher with about 30% of the retail cover price-- out of which he has to pay the writers, pay his staff, and -- hopefully -- pay himself. So, if you distribute 100k copies to newsstands, you might sell 35,000. If the cover price is $5 that's total sales of $175,000, of which the publisher receives about $50,000 from which he has to pay all of his costs. A small publisher would probably get by with a staff of eight, with an average paycheck of about $1,000 per week (a low figure for the publishing industry). This works out to a spend of $32,000 per month for staff, which leaves the publisher with $18,000 per month for things like rent, heat, electricity, employee health benefits, and -- oh yes -- buying in the stories that he publishes. A 5% bump in the price of oil, and a publisher can be out of business in 90 days...

Wow. Thanks for this rundown. I knew it was expensive, but had no idea it could be THIS expensive. I'd love to start my own fiction magazine, but I'd have to already be rich to do it. ;) So, for now, it will remain but a dream...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Time to check in. How is the writing going?

I am currently plotting out the next novel (and can't WAIT to write it), and shopping around the last finished manuscript. I've had some agents bite, but no one has yet allowed me to reel them in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ