Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty sure it's the 50 star one. I wish I could have talked more to the WW2 vet that I bought it from, but he had lost most of his hearing from being on a Navy destroyer during the war.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
This wasn't a vintage WW2 flag. This veteran actually bought a lot of flags in the last few years and used them for different projects. I bought this one at his estate sale.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . . I do have a question, however. Is it fine to include real title names of films, music, cars, guns, manufacturers, food companies, and such, in a novel? Will I be breaking copyright laws by merely including passing references such as their names, and nothing else? I will not be putting anything in a derogatory or overly positive perspective, either. These are meant to be subtle references to real pop culture and things that actually exist.
You could ask the ghost of Ian Fleming. He made a habit of using real brand names in the Bond stories: Rolex watches, Ronson lighters, Bentley cars, Mark Cross wallets, Beretta and Walther pistols, etc. His idea, I've read, was to ground Bond in the world his readers knew (or wished they knew), so as to make Bond's high-flying adventures seem more real. Certainly the association with Bond hasn't hurt the Rolex watch company.

Or you could do what Rex Stout of "Nero Wolfe" fame did, and make up your own brands and even mix them with ones from our world. Stout featured "Marley" .32 pistols and "Wethersill" convertibles side by side with Colts and Cadillacs. A sort of alternate universe technique.

I'd say, unless you're writing something derogatory about the brand names in your text (such as "Smith and Wessons are lousy guns; they misfire all the time"), you ought to be fine.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Time to check in. How is everyone's writing going?

1) I finished my nonfiction article and currently have an editor of a major history magazine interested. He's looking at it now. :)

2) Gathering research for my next article and having way too much fun doing so.

3) Novel rewrite is going well.

You?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I am still researching the 1910's for my book, and haven't written. How does one go about getting a publisher?

Derek -
Depends on what kind of book it is. :) My best advice would be to find a literary agent if you're targeting the big boys (New York City publishers), or go with a small press. The book industry right now is in a huge state of flux, as e-books and self-publishing is really changing the ball game.

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
Sounds like good progress!

I'm currently pulled between finishing my mystery novel and a new screenplay. The novel is my sentimental favorite but the characters and plot of the screenplay are much better than what I have in the novel so far. Need to commit to one and get going!

1) I finished my nonfiction article and currently have an editor of a major history magazine interested. He's looking at it now. :)

You?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here

You?

Oh, I quit (all too soon) looking for agents for The Bunny King. I'll work on that another time. I'm no business man, I like to write. So back to writing.

I've finally started editing Among the Damned, and I've returned to writing The Fawney Rig. So far so good I guess. Unfortunately, I've noticed I've been having a really difficult time concentrating. Hope it's nothing serious, but who knows.

Derek WC

Banned
Depends on what kind of book it is.

It is set in the mid to late 1910's and I might have some sort of transition in the middle of the book where it goes to the 30's, possibly the book being over a time span, but I'm not thinking about a plot too much before I've finished researching. If you can remember my poem I wrote on here saying that I was basing the book off of it, I am not exactly sure what it is going to be. I know it is going to be in verse, and possibly about gangsters or some other type of hoodlum - it might be suspense/mystery too.

That's a mighty nice poem Mr. Derek WC.

Thanks!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm currently pulled between finishing my mystery novel and a new screenplay. The novel is my sentimental favorite but the characters and plot of the screenplay are much better than what I have in the novel so far. Need to commit to one and get going!

I had this problem about a year ago. The current novel I was working on was giving me fits, and I had another novel I'd started earlier that kept tugging at me. So I eventually abandoned the problem novel and went back to the other one...which is the one I'm working on now. However, I think I'm going to tackle the problem novel after I'm done with this one. I really like the story and my characters...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I quit (all too soon) looking for agents for The Bunny King. I'll work on that another time. I'm no business man, I like to write. So back to writing.

I've finally started editing Among the Damned, and I've returned to writing The Fawney Rig. So far so good I guess. Unfortunately, I've noticed I've been having a really difficult time concentrating. Hope it's nothing serious, but who knows.

It's been nothing but writing and rewriting for me. No agent searches, nothing. I gave up looking for agents for my last novel after hearing one too many times that "World War II doesn't sell." Whatever. ;)

Glad you're writing and editing. And the lack of concentration is probably nothing serious...I think we all go through little "blips" on the writing front. Sometimes it goes great, other times, it's like pulling teeth.

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's been nothing but writing and rewriting for me. No agent searches, nothing. I gave up looking for agents for my last novel after hearing one too many times that "World War II doesn't sell." Whatever. ;)

Glad you're writing and editing. And the lack of concentration is probably nothing serious...I think we all go through little "blips" on the writing front. Sometimes it goes great, other times, it's like pulling teeth.

Try looking for an agent right around the release of Captain America. I have a feeling it'll do very well in theaters and might make publishers more receptive to the period.

rokket

New in Town
I have over-analyzed and broken down many books and movies. There's so much info, and so many layers, your head can spin. But using Occham's Razor (the simplest explanation is usually right), the bottom line is the same. It's either fun or not. ("Fun" encompassing emotional roller coaster and gut wrenching emotion/fear). So though I've studied writing for 20 years, I almost think going with a wild story is the best. Whatever is fun and a trip works. Run Wild! I think of the TV show "24". They use some pretty dirty and simple, even hackneyed, old tricks. But they do it so well, in the end, you jump up and say YEAH! That was awesome!" It's like being conned and knowing it, but being thankful because you feel so good after.

Amateisgal: I think you're so right: write, and worry the other after you are happy with your story.

Pompidou: yes, hopefully a big movie will spawn more interest. With Band of Brothers, Pacific, Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima, maybe there is some interest on all fronts.

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
I've written a few short stories, some poetry, and fan fiction. I plan to write a novel soon. I'm just getting over this fan fiction kick that I've been on for the past few months. Some of my writings can be found on my website (link below) called Kristi's Writing Desk. I also have quite a bit of fan fiction over at fanfiction.net under the TV Show category. I've written stories for All in the Family, The Andy Griffith Show, Dragnet 1967, and The Waltons.

-Kristi

rokket

New in Town
Amateisgal - forgot to say the other day, your office looks great, esp like the Reading Corner.

Kristi - interesting shows and interesting mix. Good stuff. Time definitely to go for your own original material.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Rokket!

Pompidou - You would think a movie would spawn more interest in the time period, yet even when The Pacific came out, I still heard the same response.

I think my problem is that I don't write WW2 thrillers - instead, mine are set on the American homefront and not overseas, have nothing to do with the military, etc. There is probably more of a market for WW2 thrillers - like Jack Higgins, etc.

Kristi - Do you have an idea what your novel will be about?

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
Yes, I do. Right now, I'm thinking about having my novel begin in the mid-30s with my main character being 10 years old. As he grows up, he'll develop an interest in radio. I have some ideas, but haven't actually written anything out yet.

I love reading books that are set on the homefront during WWII. What is your novel about?

-Kristi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic