Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody know about this Stetson?

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I won an E-bay auction for a Stetson 4X. It's a bit beat up and I wonder what it looked like originally. I spent some time Googling, and think it might be a version of the Catera model. Any input will be appreciated.

I plan to practice my new skills at working with fur felt, including cleaning, reshaping and possibly brim trimming :eeek:.
I'm considering reworking it to look more like the Stetson weekend.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about your hat win can be found within the pages of the Lounge. Once you have it in your hands, you'll have more questions, but also the ability to do all the reading up and research you like. Chances are the answers you seek are contained in one of the sticky threads here (which is always posted at the top of the "Hats" forum page). Congrats, neighbor, on a great start!!

javadave61

Practically Family
You'll have fun working on this Stetson once you get it. I've picked up two different "mystery" hats on eBay that looked borderline unsalvageable in the original photos. I downloaded the photos, ran some color correction in Photoshop, and boosted the contrast to give me a better idea of what I was dealing with. Then, with both, I was able with soap and water, steam, and TLC to bring them to life and make them two of my favorite hats.

If the felt on that Stetson is good, which it looks to be, you'll be able to make it a beauty.

Here are some of my before and afters of my eBay finds.

s-l1600 (2).jpg IMG_4071.jpg

Royal Deluxe 02-2.jpg IMG_4738.jpg

Last edited:

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
That lining is the legendary horse drinking from the cowboy's Stetson. I have a similar hat that came from the Boot Barn at some point. When I bought it at a flea market I had serious doubts because it really looked bad. However, after a wash and a good brushing it came back a nice clean black and looks good. the "leather" belt-style hatband looks good but it's not real leather. Evidently they no long carry this hat, so I can't tell exactly how old it is, but from the look of it, it's going to last forever. I'd say it's a keeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21