Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone collect pistols?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just wondering is anyone collects pistols old or otherwise? I've got only a few from WW2 and earlier. Haven't seen anyone discussing old weapons. Am curious.

Section10

One of the Regulars
I have a civil war era gambler's hideout gun (belly gun) in excellent condition. It's a very small single shot .45 cal. muzzle loader cap & ball with an octagon barrel and a big hammer up on top. I have fired it, but I don't think anyone could hit a barn with it even if they were inside of one. It's the kind you press up against your opponent and pull the trigger.
I also have an Iver Johnson top break revolver in .38 S&W cal. which was given to me by an old lumberjack. He had with it some old .38 Special cartridges with the lead ground off to make them short enough to fit the gun. It's a miracle he didn't blow his hand off with them. I got rid of them real fast.
Also a .25 Cal. Raven arms auto and an early Ruger.22.

Barry

Practically Family
Twitch said:
Just wondering is anyone collects pistols old or otherwise? I've got only a few from WW2 and earlier. Haven't seen anyone discussing old weapons. Am curious.

My college roommate's father collected old guns and all sorts of WW2 artifacts. He owns three or four Thompson Submachine Guns. Two are shooters and one or two are historic aritifacts. I think one was used in some shootout with Dillinger. I always thought it would be cool to go get dressed up and pose with the guns.

Barry

green papaya

One Too Many
pistols

I use to collect guns, but after they started banning certain types and making more restrictions , I lost interest and sold most of them

I still have a few pistols like the M1911A1, Makarov, Tokarev TT33,
Browning High Power , Luger P 08

M44 Russian carbines and SKS rifles

got rid of all the AK's and AR15 style rifles

I like the curio and relic guns

Baggers

Practically Family
Ah, the joys of living in Texas

I don't have to deal with New Jersey or California type bans of weapons based merely on cosmetics. I don't have to deal with waiting periods either. I can walk out the door with my purchase after passing the Federal instant background check. And if I had a concealed handgun license, I wouldn't even have to deal with that.

For pistols, I have a Mk VI Webley .445 revolver that has been long ago converted to .45 ACP and moon clips (although it will also handle .45 auto rim without resorting to the clips), an example of the later WW2 Webley in .380 with WD acceptance stamps, a Russian M1895 revolver dated 1932, and just yesterday I picked up my early Christmas present to myself -- an ex Bundeswehr Walther P1 (post war version of the P38) that I'm thinking of re-blueing and buying a second barrel for that can be blank adapted. I also have a Hungarian (I think -- it's been a while since I've played with it) clone of the Browning p35 Hi Power, and a Russian Makarov.

Then, moving to the long guns, there are 5 or 6 Lee Enfields dating from 1917 to 1967 (guess what kind that last one is), a couple of Romanian AKs, an Olympic Arms AR 15 that's been modeled after the old CAR 16, and finally, a Belgian manufactured FN FAL.

As they say, "don't mess with Texas!"

Cheers!

Feraud

Bartender
NYC loves to give its residents a hard time about firearms. Someone thinks the guy paying fees and taking safety classes is not responsible.
Anyway.. I have a few military surplus rifles and blackpowder pistols. Mosin Nagant M44, M91/30. Approx. 3 Colt & Remington revolvers in .44 caliber. Fun stuff! :)

In '06 I am looking forward to getting a Yugo M48 or two..

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yes its a drag to want guns in NYC.
I'd love to have a little M1A1carbine w/ th paratrooper folding stock, but its not permitted. Its hardly more powerful than a pistol, but here its an assualt weapon. Tho I beleive you can have one in LongIsland.
I was at the range in Philly a few weeks ago. Easy to be a gunowner out there.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You guys have some nice and fun stuff! I meant no context of anything controversial but things like normal Lugers, Webleys, Mausers and such.

I have a few only- a 1945 CZ Podnik 6.35 mm pocket pistol, a 1915 Astra .32 auto brought home by a WW I vet, from about 1915 a Colt .32-20 revlover- my Grandpa's. Everything else I have is quite newer except a Derringer replica made in Germany in the 50s in .38. I purchased a factory new .380 Walther PPK in 1971 which is identical to the ones from the 1930s.

In long arms I have an M-1 carbine, K-98 Mauser rechambered to fire .30-06 and 1897 Winchester 12 gauge riot gun. A couple of my Grandpa's shot guns must be from the 30s at least.

It's a fun hobby with lots of neat stuff born in the golden era.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
I have a Webley MK VI .45 ACP and a 1917 Colt New Victory .38.
ww1pistols.JPG

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
M-1 Carbine (WWII & Korea used. I use now in WWII reenactments)

Parker Hale 2 band Enfield .577 caliber rifled musket
Italian Arms 3 band Enfield .577 caliber rifled musket

1858 Enfield 3 band Enfield .577 caliber rifled musket (Same is a relic that was brought up from a sunken Confederate Blockade Runner near Fort Fisher down from Wilmington, NC)

Deerslayer .50 caliber flintlock rifle

Griswold & Gunison .44 caliber Army cap & ball revolver CSA
Spiller & Burr .36 caliber Navy cap & ball revolver CSA

Cimmaron 1873 Colt Peacemaker copy .44-40 caliber with 7 1/2 inch barrel (My personal carry piece. The size of it usually keeps the peace without having to shoot.)

Don't get me started on my sword collection.

GG

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
NY wants their cops and crooks to be the only one's with guns...

Feraud said:
NYC loves to give its residents a hard time about firearms. Someone thinks the guy paying fees and taking safety classes is not responsible.
Anyway.. I have a few military surplus rifles and blackpowder pistols. Mosin Nagant M44, M91/30. Approx. 3 Colt & Remington revolvers in .44 caliber. Fun stuff! :)

In '06 I am looking forward to getting a Yugo M48 or two..

I don't think I could live there. My wife is from the Jersey shore, and I go up to visit ocassionally. What a freakin' mess. They do have some good pizza though. I usually can't wait to get the hell back down south.

Feraud

Bartender
Biltmore Bob said:
I don't think I could live there. My wife is from the Jersey shore, and I go up to visit ocassionally. What a freakin' mess. They do have some good pizza though. I usually can't wait to get the hell back down south.
From what I hear, N.J. is even more restrictive than N.Y.! The pizza is good tho'. :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Is it any reason why Winchester is closing?

The plant is Connecticutt is closing down. Why make arms in an area run with extreme leftists politicians who want to ban guns? It seems that economic development and common sense are not taught in the Ivy League Colleges anymore. I have a Ruger .357 for home protection. Not a classic, but it sure makes a nice hole.:cheers1: I've never been to the Northeast, but I'm sure it is like one big huge San Francisco. Or is San Francisco a small Northeast? Here in California, we have to pay $20 to take a 20 question test with questions such as; Is it ok to wear a gun as an accessory to your clothes?"

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I collect pistols. I posted a pic over on the Golden Era board under a similar thread about vintage firearms. It's a 1917 production British Webley Mark VI in .455 caliber. I'm glad to see from earlier in the thread I'm not the only Webley fan around. This is a neat old wheelgun, and it is similar to the Webley-Fosberry automatic revolver(yes, automatic revolver!) that Bogey mentions in Maltese Falcon.
standard.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
All I have left from my grandfather's collection is my trusty Colt .32 automatic. The best of the lot, but I wish I had got at least one of a pair of 5 shot .32 revolvers that were there. Very unusual pistols.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Darne, I sure like your taste in pistolas. The big Colts have always appealed to me, but I haven't broken down and gotten a New Service yet. Your custom NS Colts remind me of something Skeeter Skelton might have written about Dobe Grant and his guns. Ever read any of those stories? I like your Dad's list, too. Here's my favorite Colt...a Single Action Army in .45 Colt made in 1960.
standard.jpg

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Smiths

Twitch,

Try the Smith And Wesson Forum for excellent discussion and lots of good pics of vintage Smiths. I have a fairly recent vintage Model 10 w/ 5" barrel - probably early '70s but the design goes back to the 30's. I tend to collect in my head until the powerball comes thru.

m

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff