Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone collect well-bound books?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
This isn't to do with libraries per se, but the contents of it, and I was actually contemplating posting a whole new thread regarding this, but decided against it for fear of posting it in the wrong section. But anyways, how I digress. I came across this wonderful little site the other day:

http://www.foliosoc.co.uk/offers/

I collect antiquarian books for their beautiful, meticulous quality and design, and which are so different from the mass-produced common covers which adorns the same books. This site preserves the old-fashioned style of quality binding and turns out excellent books the way they were meant to be. Worth a look for anyone who appreciates books. The prices seem a bit steep, but I think if you can afford it, why not?

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have a particular interest in Venetian bookbinding and illuminated manuscripts - not that I have the budget to indulge this passion. I was fortunate when growing up that I could detour on my walk home from school to stop in to a winderful book binding shop in NYC. I also had the good fortune to research at the Robbins Library while at the University of Rochester.

I do also appreciate the beauty of a well bound book and attend book fairs here in Massachusetts. I would love to sign up for the bookbinding class at the North Bennet Street School. They have a true full-time bench bookbinding program and they turn out true artists.

P.S. Have you had the opportunity to visit the Grolier Club in NYC? Some day I would love to have a membership at the Grolier. We have another club here in Boston, the Club of Odd Volumes, but they are more focused on publishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points