Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else ever feel like this?

Drappa

One Too Many
Rabben said:
Makeup is like clothing, put some time and effort into it, and everyone can look good :D
Except everyone has different perceptions of what makes one "look good". Some people actually don't think certain clothes or make-up styles look good, despite the effort.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Miss_Becky said:
Gosh, there must be something in the water, because I feel it too. I recently chopped my hair off because I didn't feel like messing with it anymore

...I just cut bangs again because I haven't styled in so long and bangs, I find, can be nice when not touched and when styled. But I've got tired mama syndrome. A one year old and just me, I'm lucky if I have time to... do anything! (Incidentally, baby is asleep on my lap as I very slowly type this.)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
Wow - I find that really offensive. Even to flippantly suggest that ugly = lazy, or to insinuate that to be beautiful you HAVE to do your hair and makeup is just repugnant.

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones."

That's a quote by Helene Rubinstein.

Said in the context of what she did for a living, I think it's a pretty good quote and I like to adhere to it. :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones."

That's a quote by Helene Rubinstein.

Said in the context of what she did for a living, I think it's a pretty good quote and I like to adhere to it. :D

Me too, and I think it's perfectly true, albeit that some women don't care, rather than it being laziness. I too have honed my vintage routine and it takes me almost no time. I have been very, very down for the last couple of months, but I've found that keeping up my glamorous vintage look, perhaps a bit less polished but still glam to everyone else, has helped me keep my spirits up. Just like the old stories about wartime lipstick supplies and morale. I have had a perm though, and that's helped as it makes it even less effort to get good hair & good hair always cheers me up!

Drappa

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Me too, and I think it's perfectly true, albeit that some women don't care, rather than it being laziness. I too have honed my vintage routine and it takes me almost no time. I have been very, very down for the last couple of months, but I've found that keeping up my glamorous vintage look, perhaps a bit less polished but still glam to everyone else, has helped me keep my spirits up. Just like the old stories about wartime lipstick supplies and morale. I have had a perm though, and that's helped as it makes it even less effort to get good hair & good hair always cheers me up!
Oh, I was thinking of getting a perm, but my hair is super straight and last time I had one I was 13 and it looked terrible after about two weeks. How did you find a hairdresser who got it right and vintagey? (Sorry this is OT)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
Wow - I find that really offensive. Even to flippantly suggest that ugly = lazy, or to insinuate that to be beautiful you HAVE to do your hair and makeup is just repugnant.

I have to agree with you, Puzzicato. While I can look at the sentiment behind Helene Rubinstein's quote and somewhat agree with it (i.e. putting time into making yourself look better will usually help you look a little better - of course!), I find the statement itself insulting. It implies that anyone who isn't up to society's standard of beauty is just lazy. And I have problems with that.

Back to the original topic. I'm with Smuterella: when I start feeling down, I don't feel like I want to do anything, much less go to the bother of putting on makeup! I'd rather hide away for the day. :eek: I don't know whether you're just busy, or whether you're feeling blue, but I've found that it helps me a *lot* to stick to my makeup routine, even if it's just putting on foundation/powder and some lipstick. I may even make a point to dress up a little one day, to make myself feel more put together.

Don't feel too badly about not being able to do a complete vintage look right now! Perhaps, to give yourself a fresh start, you could get yourself an easy-care haircut that will look good with a minimal amount of upkeep, but can also be dressed up with accessories, or curled, when you want a totally vintage look? Or try just wearing one or two types of makeup, the ones you like most and can put on quickly in the morning.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
ShoreRoadLady said:
I have to agree with you, Puzzicato. While I can look at the sentiment behind Helene Rubinstein's quote and somewhat agree with it (i.e. putting time into making yourself look better will usually help you look a little better - of course!), I find the statement itself insulting. It implies that anyone who isn't up to society's standard of beauty is just lazy. And I have problems with that.

Back to the original topic. I'm with Smuterella: when I start feeling down, I don't feel like I want to do anything, much less go to the bother of putting on makeup! I'd rather hide away for the day. :eek: I don't know whether you're just busy, or whether you're feeling blue, but I've found that it helps me a *lot* to stick to my makeup routine, even if it's just putting on foundation/powder and some lipstick. I may even make a point to dress up a little one day, to make myself feel more put together.

Don't feel too badly about not being able to do a complete vintage look right now! Perhaps, to give yourself a fresh start, you could get yourself an easy-care haircut that will look good with a minimal amount of upkeep, but can also be dressed up with accessories, or curled, when you want a totally vintage look? Or try just wearing one or two types of makeup, the ones you like most and can put on quickly in the morning.

Ladies do not think those who do not do their hair or make up daily do this out of Laziness it could be for numerous reason that are not with in your eyesight.

de-stressed

New in Town
RitaHayworth, sometimes for me, the weather really affects how much effort I feel like investing into myself. Where I live, it rains from October to April constantly. By the time December rolls around, I am really in need of some sunshine!

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Rabben said:
Makeup is like clothing, put some time and effort into it, and everyone can look good :D

My papa would say, "The barn door doesn't always need painting."

If the inside isn't feeling well, the outside will suffer. No amount of makeup or clothing will change that.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I have to say though, that a vintage look isn't any more high maintenance than any other style (aside from leaving hair natural and wearing absolutely no makeup)

It takes 10 minutes to set hair once you get used to doing it, it takes 5 mins in the morning to brush out a simple set, make up can be as simple as just mascara and lipstick - so 2 mins, max.

I'd actually like to respectfully disagree. There are a lot of ladies here who are really experienced with setting their hair who will never be able to do it in 5 minutes. I have a ton of hair, and it's very thick - if I don't set small sections, it will fall out no matter what I do, which means that it takes me about 30 minutes to set. Same with the brush out - so thick, it takes about 10 minutes just to loosen up the curls, nevermind styling it.

As for makeup, again, it depends on the person. Not everyone can get away with just mascara and lipstick. A lot of folks have various skin issues and require a base.

For me, I'm just picky - I kind of feel that if I'm just going to do mascara and lipstick and still look like cr*p, I might as well do nothing at all. But that's my own problem.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Well, I meant if you have practised - it used to take me over an hour to set mine - but I've been doing the exact same set now for a couple of years and you do speed up dramatically. It takes me longer if I'm trying something new, of course.

30 minutes still isn't bad compared to washing and straightening it every morning as most girls, on this side of the pond at least, are still doing.

I still firmly believe that vintage is not high maintenance or any more time consuming than other looks. :)

LisaFreemontStreet also has a great little 10 minute vintage tute for makeup - it works - I can get the whole shebang done in under 10 minutes now.

(Though I do wear exactly the same make up every day and have it laid out in the order I use it to speed things up!)

lareine

A-List Customer
Laying things out in advance really does help speed things up, doesn't it? Almost every night I lay out my clothes for the next day, underwear, footwear, makeup, and perfume. Those mornings I can go from asleep to cycling to the office in 15 minutes or less (I shower at night, have low-maintenance hair, and eat breakfast on company time). The mornings where I haven't laid out my things, it takes at least half an hour and I usually forget to apply something or end up with mismatched socks. No matter how tired I am at bedtime, it's usually worth the effort to place my next-day requirements in one easily accessible place.

Tatum

Practically Family
I would love to still be setting my hair every day, but when I know there will be plaster dust or sawdust involved, it definitely gets put off.

Girls, I have tried everything to keep the dust out of my hair when I do set it and work on the house, but nothing has worked. Have any of you been in this predicament, and what did you do?

Smuterella

One Too Many
lareine said:
Laying things out in advance really does help speed things up, doesn't it? Almost every night I lay out my clothes for the next day, underwear, footwear, makeup, and perfume. Those mornings I can go from asleep to cycling to the office in 15 minutes or less (I shower at night, have low-maintenance hair, and eat breakfast on company time). The mornings where I haven't laid out my things, it takes at least half an hour and I usually forget to apply something or end up with mismatched socks. No matter how tired I am at bedtime, it's usually worth the effort to place my next-day requirements in one easily accessible place.

Yes, are you me?

Though I don't cycle to work...yet. that is my next challenge.

lareine

A-List Customer
I cycle on a Pashley Princess Sovereign -- possibly the only one in New Zealand, or at least in Christchurch. I had to take the basket off because I need to be able to see and avoid broken glass in the cycle lanes, but it still attracts a LOT of attention. I get comments from people regularly when I'm stopped at a red light.

Last week I had to ride my husband's mountain bike as it needed to be moved from A to B without a car, and it was horrible. I felt so low and hunched over! Gotta love the sit-up-and-beg style of those older bikes. My Princess is quite new but her style is definitely not.

Sorry, I digress. As you were, folks!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've got a Pashley Princess classic - she is so heavy and I'm having some trouble getting comfortable with road cycling her as I find the weight makes her really wobbly.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
There seem to be a lot of us who go through cycles when we just don't feel like putting in the time and effort to get all done up. Even when I feel rotten and dull I try to do SOMETHING that will make me feel better, whether it's looking better or feeling better emotionally. If it's looking better I'm after, I'll try to find the thing I like least about my current appearance and figure out what I can do to improve that. Haircut? Eyebrow maintenance? Manicure? New lipstick?

I hope you find something that energizes you soon.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Wow Smuts - I've never been able to get up and dressed in under 45 minutes and I never managed to set my hair in under 30 minutes, even when I did the same exact set almost every night for a year or so. Since chopping my hair off into a non-setting style I still take at least 30-30 mins to do my make-up. I can't ever seem to get it any faster than that, unless I skip eyebrows or eyeliner or something.

Most days I wake up in the morning and the thought of even being awake seems pretty unmanageable, but once I am up I'd rather go to work with my face on. It definitely helps me face the day. No pun intended!

Smuterella

One Too Many
See, for work days I don't wing my eyeliner, I just use a smudge of pencil and my eyebrows aren't the work of art yours are, I just dust a little brow powder in the sparse bits. I can be up and out in 15 mins if I've prepped the night before.

those extra 15 mins of sleep is far more valuable to me than a full face of make up.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
30 minutes still isn't bad compared to washing and straightening it every morning as most girls, on this side of the pond at least, are still doing.

I still firmly believe that vintage is not high maintenance or any more time consuming than other looks. :)

I agree with that. To blowdry and then GHD my hair takes 1 1/2 hours, and a lot of women seem to do that every day!

I can do a full face of makeup in 15 minutes, although I wouldn't want anyone to be examining my eyeliner too closely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points