Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else looking forward to sweater weather?

Edward

Bartender
I'm certainly looking forward to the end of Summer. Had I my way, there would be two weeks of Summer, no more, and nothing more than 24 Celsius. I do like to wear linen sometimes. Otherwise, longer Spring and Autumn. I do greatly envy those in the Arctic Circle their days of darkness, but the "midnight sun" is too high a price to pay for that. Needless to say, I could easily go nocturnal and never miss the sun.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Edward are you perchance a vampire?;)
I'm certainly looking forward to the end of Summer. Had I my way, there would be two weeks of Summer, no more, and nothing more than 24 Celsius. I do like to wear linen sometimes. Otherwise, longer Spring and Autumn. I do greatly envy those in the Arctic Circle their days of darkness, but the "midnight sun" is too high a price to pay for that. Needless to say, I could easily go nocturnal and never miss the sun.

Metatron

One Too Many
I lived in Cyprus most my life so English summers are very mild by comparison... And very pleasant.
So this weather is fine by me, autumn is ok, spring is wonderful,
but winter definitely gives me seasonal affective disorder.
I don't mind the cold, and it's a great feeling to be in a cozy pub, or in bed knowing it's freezing outside,
but the lack of light just messes me up! [huh]

winterland1

Practically Family
We are actually getting some 90 degree weather now here in Minnesota. I will take it. It has been a decent summer but not a lot of real warm days. Winter will be here soon enough. I am all for a nice long indian summer.

Hal

Practically Family
...I do look forward to breaking out the tweeds, overcoats, proper shoes and hats!
Hear, hear! I'm with you all the way.
I'm certainly looking forward to the end of Summer. Had I my way, there would be two weeks of Summer, no more, and nothing more than 24 Celsius. I do like to wear linen sometimes. Otherwise, longer Spring and Autumn. I do greatly envy those in the Arctic Circle their days of darkness, but the "midnight sun" is too high a price to pay for that.
I agree with you with respect to the temperatures but not with respect to the day-length; I find increasing day-length (as early as February) invigorating, so prefer spring to autumn for that reason. Once I was in Iceland in June with continuous daylight and temperatures of 8C - great!

Last edited:

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Yes! I've been longing for it.

We've had very mild temperatures here for a few weeks now, along with lots of rain. I've been loving the cooler weather, but at the same time I'm apprehensive that blistering weather is right around the corner.

simonc

Practically Family
my winter boots have just arrived
8wUD7t3.jpg

and they will be joined with this
5OdrnzI.jpg

Come at me rain and wind, I defy thee.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I am so pleased to see that so many people agree with me. It can seem almost like a 'thought crime' to hate summer, especially in the UK. But not only do I look forward to the autumn and winter clothes, but to the gentler light and the cool (and cold!) temperatures. In summer I get a variant of the 'SAD' that some people experience in the winter!

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I am so pleased to see that so many people agree with me. It can seem almost like a 'thought crime' to hate summer, especially in the UK. But not only do I look forward to the autumn and winter clothes, but to the gentler light and the cool (and cold!) temperatures. In summer I get a variant of the 'SAD' that some people experience in the winter!

You and me both TC.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Well we have had a mild summer here in E. Texas, the green part. I do not think we hit 100F this summer, the last two weeks have been delightful for this part of the country, low to mid 90's.

All that said, I am ready for fall, and I fit into the crowd that would like two weeks of summer. Winters here are generally so mild, more like spring or fall one day, then maybe a couple of colder days then back mild, rarely anything really cold.

John J

Familiar Face
Fall is My favorite time of year!!

I do like to kayak and bicycle in cooler weather better than in the heat, I don't mind temp dropping I just don't care for it getting Dark earlier.

As for clothing well I say I like the way the Gals look in the summer I like the way I look in fall /winter wool sport coats(solids and tweeds), hats, wool sweaters , cashmere overcoats /scarves ... YEP Much nicer wardrobe for Myself than summer wt cottons, tropical wool and seersucker.

Yep love fall.

"John"

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The other day I caught sight of an article on the front page of The Daily Telegraph saying that the rain and cool weather of the past week had 'dashed hopes of an Indian summer'. But is anyone really hoping for an 'Indian summer'? Most of my friends and colleagues apart from a small number have been complaining about the heat of July and August. Even the other week when I was getting my hair cut (doesn't take long!) the Albanian barber said that he was tired of the heat going on 'day after day, week after week'. I agreed with him and he then mentioned that almost all customers have been complaining.

I wonder why Medialand has to promote the idea that heat is always a good thing and we can't get enough of it. Do the people who write this really believe it? If so, are they reptiles rather than human beings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy