Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else looking forward to sweater weather?

Hal

Practically Family
Are you folks that live in colder climates looking forward to your heat bills?I do like the cooler weather but the cost of fuel is going up.
Don't overheat your houses - I set my thermostat to 18C. If a winter suit is too warm indoors, the heating is too high.
As for clothing well I say I like the way the Gals look in the summer I like the way I look in fall /winter wool sport coats(solids and tweeds), hats, wool sweaters , cashmere overcoats /scarves ... YEP Much nicer wardrobe for Myself than summer wt cottons, tropical wool and seersucker.
Yes, it's something of a paradox - women look better in summer clothes, men in winter clothes.
The other day I caught sight of an article on the front page of The Daily Telegraph saying that the rain and cool weather of the past week had 'dashed hopes of an Indian summer'...I wonder why Medialand has to promote the idea that heat is always a good thing and we can't get enough of it. Do the people who write this really believe it? If so, are they reptiles rather than human beings?
Yes, and have you noticed that British weather forecasters always say "the temperature will rise to X degrees at best"? Surely temperature is not a matter of morality - there are no "good" or "bad" temperatures - and if global warming is happening we should not be being conditioned by Medialand to think that heat is a good thing.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes, and have you noticed that British weather forecasters always say "the temperature will rise to X degrees at best"? Surely temperature is not a matter of morality - there are no "good" or "bad" temperatures - and if global warming is happening we should not be being conditioned by Medialand to think that heat is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have noticed. And I am at a complete loss to understand it. In London, where I live, I cannot understand anyone wanting anything other than cool weather! Have they not used the Underground in summer, for instance, when people are literally fainting sometimes.

Edward

Bartender
It's the presumption that I like, want, or enjoy warm weather that I hate, loathe and despise... Money no object, I'd spend my year between different locations and rarely be anywhere where the temperature was North of 18 Celsius. While we're on the matter, a pox on those cretins who whine all Winter about the cold, then as soon as it gets slightly warm howl about any expression of preference for cooler weather. May it rain on all their holidays.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
It's the presumption that I like, want, or enjoy warm weather that I hate, loathe and despise... Money no object, I'd spend my year between different locations and rarely be anywhere where the temperature was North of 18 Celsius. While we're on the matter, a pox on those cretins who whine all Winter about the cold, then as soon as it gets slightly warm howl about any expression of preference for cooler weather. May it rain on all their holidays.

Edward, I wholeheartedly agree with every word you say! I don't know how old you are, but when I was a schoolboy in the 1970s/early 80s (not so long ago) I don't remember this manic cult of summer and hot weather. Do you? It seems to be a new and media-led obsession.

I'm so glad to read that others are driven crazy by the presumptive preference for warm weather that weathermen and anchors in general take. I've thought back and can't sight examples, but it seems that there was always a bias toward this warmer-is-good thinking (but again, I can't defend that view with evidence). I live in the Northeast by choice because I like having four seasons and like that three of them are not hot. I know not everyone can simply choose to live where they want, but surely many can. Hence, why do so many people in the NE complain about it getting cold, etc., when the weather has been this way for all their lives (and much longer)? My girlfriend and I can't wait for the first true fall day when we can use our fireplace (much more enjoyable than the manufactured cold air coming out of our loud air conditioner).

Edward

Bartender
Edward, I wholeheartedly agree with every word you say! I don't know how old you are, but when I was a schoolboy in the 1970s/early 80s (not so long ago) I don't remember this manic cult of summer and hot weather. Do you? It seems to be a new and media-led obsession.

I started school in September 1979. I'm not sure I much recall it being such a big deal in the Eighties... though in 1984 when we hit 24 degrees, hotter than France at the time, it was considered something else again. Bearing in mind this is Norn Irn, where anything much over 15 Celsius in 1984 had overweight men wandering around in cut-off jeans and no shirt (bad paramilitary tattoos model's own). What seems more recent to me is this business of people going looking for extreme heat holidays, especially people who go to Dubai and the likes for just that. There does seem to be more negativity about colder weather now than I recall in the past, even more negativity about rain. It does vary by where you are, I think , but I've seen people down here not go out for the day because of rain; holidays in Scotland when I was a kid, or just at home, you'd put on a mac and carry on... Quite honestly, not being at school was a far bigger deal to us than the temperature. I don't honestly recall even thinking about it much until I was well into my twenties.

Hal

Practically Family
What seems more recent to me is this business of people going looking for extreme heat holidays, especially people who go to Dubai and the likes for just that.
Some friends have a son who lives in Queensland and who normally visit him and his wife and children in May or September. One year when they visited at Christmas, the son apologised that the temperature had not gone above 31C - the parents were glad that it hadn't!
There does seem to be more negativity about colder weather now than I recall in the past, even more negativity about rain. It does vary by where you are, I think , but I've seen people down here not go out for the day because of rain; holidays in Scotland when I was a kid, or just at home, you'd put on a mac and carry on...
Yes, and when it was cold, you'd just put on an overcoat and carry on. But proper outerwear seems to be becoming a threatened species in the UK.
When did you last see any publicity showing young and attractive people wearing winter clothes (apart from adverts for ski holidays)? I haven't seen any for many years now.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Bring it on, we have been having mid 90's F weather here and no rain for the last couple of months. A cold front moved through and we are getting much welcomedlight rain this morning and temp is about 75 and is only predicted to hit about 80 today. Not yet sweater weather, but I will be glad when it arrives.

A pox on British people, is what I say - Whingeing Poms every one. They whinge all winter about the cold, whinge all spring and autumn about the rain and wind, and whinge all summer about the heat. Whingeing is a way of life. I really don't think people have strong views about it, Ed, they just want to whinge about something, and the consensus and agreement among people is to allow and participate in any amount of whingeing about the weather. Second by a short distance is whingeing about public transport (some of the best in the world, btw), then after that "rip-off Britain".

I love heat, and I love cold; the hotter the better (preferably overcast) and the colder the better (preferably in driving snow and gales). Ice storms are AWESOME.

Metatron

One Too Many
Agreed, and wardrobe wise, there is interesting stuff to wear on either side of the spectrum.
The only thing I will whinge about is waking up to a dark, grey morning.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
If it EVER gets to sweater weather here in The Swamp, I'll be all over it. People around me burble about how much they love summer (which here can last for 8-10 months). Well, lemme tell ya, I worked outdoors in Loozyana heat, delivering from an un-air conditioned truck, for most of a decade, and I know there's no glamor to sweating. If any of these summer-lovers had to work outside for even one morning in August, they'd sell their shriveled raisin souls to get back into the A/C.

And yes: Women do look better in summer clothing, men in winter.

Metatron

One Too Many
I think women look better in any season. ;)
But seriously, look around you and you'll find that 9 times out of 10, the girl is well dressed and is wearing clothes that fit her,
where men are all over the place, nowhere near as consistent.
Not to stereotype genders or anything but...!

winterland1

Practically Family
A pox on British people, is what I say - Whingeing Poms every one. They whinge all winter about the cold, whinge all spring and autumn about the rain and wind, and whinge all summer about the heat. Whingeing is a way of life. I really don't think people have strong views about it, Ed, they just want to whinge about something, and the consensus and agreement among people is to allow and participate in any amount of whingeing about the weather. Second by a short distance is whingeing about public transport (some of the best in the world, btw), then after that "rip-off Britain".

I love heat, and I love cold; the hotter the better (preferably overcast) and the colder the better (preferably in driving snow and gales). Ice storms are AWESOME.

I like your attitude. I always try to enjoy something about every day as far as the weather. We can't complain here in Minnesota. It has been a lovely Indian summer. Clear crisp evenings and in the 70's during the day. Starting to finally cool into the 50's in the evenings. No longsleeves or sweaters so far during the day but I have been digging out the sweaters for the evenings when out and about.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Is anyone else looking forward to cool autumnal mornings and evenings, and the chance to put on a nice thick wool sweater again?

I am longing for autumn/fall - for this pleasure, and for the colours and gentle light.

Yes, I agree with you, I much prefer this time of year, cooler weather, lovely colours and getting out the winter sweaters again.

Best Wishes.

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm looking forward to wearing my new varsity cardigans. I need a jacket to wear over them in the rain, though. (The cardigans are hip-length.) A chore coat will do the trick, but it isn't the most fashionable article of clothing ever invented. Any suggestions?

53Effie

A-List Customer
It has cooled off nicely here in my part of Oregon...low 20's at night and around 50 in the daytime. I have wearing sweaters for the past couple of weeks and thoroughly enjoying it. It has been a nice autumn here.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
It has cooled off nicely here in my part of Oregon...low 20's at night and around 50 in the daytime. I have wearing sweaters for the past couple of weeks and thoroughly enjoying it. It has been a nice autumn here.

Yes, I would agree with that, I have been enjoying the autumn weather and wearing my sweaters too. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy