Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else stuck on WWII soldiers?

boondooglejane

New in Town
Because I honestly just can't contain how attractive some of history's most brave and bold were.

Or at least how attractive they were portrayed in audies.

I mean, I thought Eion Bailey was cute before... but then I saw Band of Brothers and wanted to swoon.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0hn2lgGrW1r3y5ldo1_500.png

I would date that. I would date the real or fictional David Kenyon Webster.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Pfc_david_webster_506.jpg

I'm sure he cleans up real nice. And he's a journalist so he gets extra points in my book.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/world-war-ii-us-soldier-ready-everett.jpg

Just look at their slightly scruffy faces in those gorgeous uniforms.

The media of the time portrayed them well. Anyone else remember good ol' Jefferson Jones from Christmas in Connecticut? He got me through a break up last winter. And in that one it is almost purely the uniform, because I don't think Dennis Morgan is all that attractive.

Then there's any time Cary Grant ever portrayed a soldier... Don't even get me started.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ublicity.JPG/170px-Cary_Grant_-_publicity.JPG

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
When I was flying airshows, I would hear that a lot from the older ladies. They all said how handsome their husbands looked in their uniforms. Worked for my dad! My mom would not even date him before the war, then he came back in his AAF uniform, with his silver air crew wings, next thing you know they were married!

boondooglejane

New in Town
Whoever designed that uniform helped to bring together more couples than eHarmony can brag about. And the fact that they risked their lives to protect their country and other countries may have had helped a little.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The sad part is, I think I look better in my WW II uniforms than I do in my current dress blues from the AF.
Mike
That is funny. I remember back in the 90s when the new Air Force uniforms came out, at air shows I would ask the young pilots what they thought of it, this is a family board, so I will not repeat what they said. Then I asked them which uniform they would like to wear, with out blinking an eye every one I talked to said the same thing, Pinks & Greens! Incredible, when you realize, it would have been their Grandfathers who were in WWII.

rjb1

Practically Family
A friend was in the Air Force in the 70's, and those uniforms looked awful. We almost wore out the jokes about what time was the bus leaving and did it go as far as Memphis. They looked a LOT like Greyhound bus-driver uniforms.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Stearman,

That is funny. I remember back in the 90s when the new Air Force uniforms came out, at air shows I would ask the young pilots what they thought of it, this is a family board, so I will not repeat what they said. Then I asked them which uniform they would like to wear, with out blinking an eye every one I talked to said the same thing, Pinks & Greens! Incredible, when you realize, it would have been their Grandfathers who were in WWII.

Try hanging around the Pentagon some afternoon. The place looks like the Good Humor Ice Cream factory with all the pretty uniforms they have these days. I swear, some of the new uniforms are downright embarrasing.

Renault

One Too Many
Not to hijack the thread but I was fond of the wool class"A's" we were issued in the Marines back in the. 70's. with our EM buckle inspection brass. Dang close to WWII issue.

But it was the Blues that always got the ladies!!!

Wifey and I 20 October 1979

mikepara

Practically Family
My Wife used to love it when I was in uniform. Strange lot you women. DSCN4084.JPG

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I have to say that the WWII uniform was one of the best looking pieces worn. The current ASU dress uniform isn't so bad, but I prefer the older looks, all though the ACU is what we mainly wear.

rjb1

Practically Family
We were doing a WWII reenactment at an active-duty military base and several of us reenactors were standing in the food line at the PX along with some modern real-Army guys. They asked us where we got our uniforms, and at first I thought they were accusing us of being improperly dressed, and "out of uniform".
It turns out they really liked the WWII look and wanted to know here they could get some for themselves. They were a bit disappointed when we told them that they were historical only and not something they could get issued to them.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
We were doing a WWII reenactment at an active-duty military base and several of us reenactors were standing in the food line at the PX along with some modern real-Army guys. They asked us where we got our uniforms, and at first I thought they were accusing us of being improperly dressed, and "out of uniform".
It turns out they really liked the WWII look and wanted to know here they could get some for themselves. They were a bit disappointed when we told them that they were historical only and not something they could get issued to them.

Ft. Campbell?

rjb1

Practically Family
No, but that's a good guess.
We (our reenacting unit) are affiliated with the 101st Airborne Museum at Ft. Campbell so we were there for a D-Day presentation week before last, and have done a lot of reenacting there, but the specific WWII-uniform incident mentioned was at Camp Atterbury in Indiana.

My best WWII-uniform story involving Fort Campbell was at an earlier D-Day presentation at which we had people wearing all the various uniform types worn by the 101st. I had on Class A's, and a WWII 101st vet came up and enthusiastically praised me for having the jump wings placed above the CIB, as they actually wore them, not as Army regulations specified. It was a point of pride for them, and he was very pleased that we were doing it right for the public to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy