Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever converted regular sleeves to zip sleeves on a leather jacket?

lina

Practically Family
Just wondering how feasible/expensive it is. Seems like it would be a fairly simple procedure for a pro, as far as the cutting and the zipper installation. But I imagine getting matching leather (more or less) and making the gussets would complicate things a bit. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has ever had it done, and if so how it went.

Christopher Hansen

New in Town
Hi,

My mother has sewn professionally for years. My recollection of her sleeve work was shortening the length which was quit involved to do it right (bit of a perfectionist). Regardless, adding a zipper could get complicated depending on the shape of the sleeve in general, any lining, or just the piecing of the leather to form the sleeve. Of course, she always said anything is possible with enough patience and time ( time = money ).

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if the previous sleeve is just plain sleeve cuff, then sure it can, getting the same leather for the triangle gusset as you already said might be challenging

but if the old cuff has buttons thus button holes on the other end...then better forget it.

BTW, don't forget to ask them to taper the lower sleeve as well otherwise the zipper would only serve as decoration without real purpose

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
My honest opinion is that it can be done (jacket design permitting), but you can either have it done cheaply, or done well. Not both. In 99.99% of cases, I suspect it's probably not worth it compared to the cost of buying a new/used jacket which is specc'ed as you want.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My leather tailor here says you can do almost anything as long as you have deep enough pockets.....my guess is it could be done but as others have said, it would be crazy expensive.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I would think you would have to remove the existing sleeves and replace them. Unless one wanted to have a look similar to the B-2 or The Raider in those cases the zip takes the place of the button but then the cuff would have to be replaced because of the holes etc. Like Protein Nerd said "crazy expensive".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo