Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever hear of 'Stetson Ermine Series B'?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Years ago, there was a Stetson Ermine with the seal and tails and documentation on ebay. The hat was a beautiful light silverbelly, and was in size 6 7/8. The starting bid was something like $3,000. It had documentation and pictures with it showing how it was given to a pre-Castro Cuban diplomat.

It was listed on there several times, but never sold.

Well, as Lefty has just shown us, it's now back on eBay! Same hat, same size, same original owner, same everything ... except that the starting bid has gone up by $500.

Dinerman posted it here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...No.5-10-made&p=1302194&viewfull=1#post1302194

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, apparently it may be the only one of it's type surviving. I'm surprised a collector with deep pockets hasn't bought it. Of course, the $3,500 is just the opening bid price. Who knows what his reserve is? It could be $8,000!

Even though I looked for it, I didn't see the size listed the first couple of times I checked out the auction. I really hate it when people post auction info in all caps! Makes it difficult to read, at least for me.

6 7/8s is a wee bit too small for me, I'm afraid. Guess I'll have to pass on this one. ;)

Tonio

A-List Customer
MRS. IMA WILLIAMS SHOWING A $150.00 HAT FROM WASHER BROTHERS

CD34A25E-EC3A-4E5A-9D4E-393FAC92CC11.jpeg

Fit for a monarch's head piece is this Stetson ermine beaver hat being offered by Washer Brothers. The price is $150, but it's virtually a life time buy. The hat, with its individual, hand-sewn leather carrying case, is being displayed here by Mrs. Ima Williams. Published in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram evening edition, October 6, 1941
—-

It would appear that there were different series of this hat, limited to 10 in each series.

Series E(?)
2DBA633D-EE0F-4846-AE99-7E531BE1E2BB.jpeg

Series J
684CC3F2-3EBD-4EA8-A449-AB20A3FA1D53.jpeg

Series B
4EBF28E6-4AD7-4802-9C40-9A45282A7189.jpeg

Series I
CEC02DE7-B159-4391-88AD-3E2580299168.jpeg

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
MRS. IMA WILLIAMS SHOWING A $150.00 HAT FROM WASHER BROTHERS

View attachment 162906

Fit for a monarch's head piece is this Stetson ermine beaver hat being offered by Washer Brothers. The price is $150, but it's virtually a life time buy. The hat, with its individual, hand-sewn leather carrying case, is being displayed here by Mrs. Ima Williams. Published in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram evening edition, October 6, 1941
—-

It would appear that there were different series of this hat, limited to 10 in each series.

Series E(?)
View attachment 162909

Series J
View attachment 162908

Series B
View attachment 162907

Series I
View attachment 162926
Great post Tonio.
I had no idea they made different a Series. I thought there was just 10 total.
Yeah!!! There’s 30 more out there.
So there is hope.....well, alittle more hope!
Thanks
B

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Years ago, there was a Stetson Ermine with the seal and tails and documentation on ebay. The hat was a beautiful light silverbelly, and was in size 6 7/8. The starting bid was something like $3,000. It had documentation and pictures with it showing how it was given to a pre-Castro Cuban diplomat.

It was listed on there several times, but never sold. I have no idea where it is today. Graham at Optimo said that it was among the finest hats ever made. The stuff of legend.
Dr. Max:
Does this post ring a bell??
Pity all the pics are gone in this thread!!
B

buler

I'll Lock Up
I don't think anyone could say how many were made. We know there are multiple series, according to the certificates, and that Stetson said there were only 10 hats per series. We know there was a series "B", so was there an "A"? What we do know is we have only turned up (seen photos on ebay) one genuine Ermine so far. They are rare.

I've located two other Ermine cases over the years and neither had the correct hat.

Great find on the photo!! Thanks for sharing, Tonio.

B

Last edited:
Anyone know what this emblem is? This one looks like it could be a hat but I know where there is a case with the quilted liner in the top & has some initials on the emblem. I did not identify it with Stetson & I don't recall what the initials were.

IMG_1928.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
The original post in the thread mentions Belber making the case the person bought. I see a few Belber logos in google images. I imagine you could find the match with some digging.

B

Things are looking bleaker by the day. I just found this recent news concerning the mink family, of which the ermine is a member.

Dean Taylor, D.V.M., State Veterinarian, Utah Dept. of Agriculture and Food reports nearly 10,000 minks have died of COVID-19 since late September. The mink symptoms begin with “open mouth breathing, discharge from their eyes and nose, and are not sick for several days before they pass away. They typically die within the next day” of symptoms.

According to the USDA, nearly 3 million mink pelts were manufactured in the United States in 2019. The biggest producers are Wisconsin followed by Utah. Mink farms beyond the United States have also reported COVID-19 deaths in The Netherlands, Spain and Denmark.

The mink now joins a growing list of 50 animals beyond humans that have contracted COVID-19 in the United States. The list includes lions and tigers, house cats, dogs, pigs, cattle, horses, and birds.

IMG_1200.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot