Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever hear of 'Stetson Ermine Series B'?

Stetsonian

New in Town
I bought the following leather hatbox off of eBay well over 5 years ago. It was custom made for Stetson by a company called ‘Belber’ to hold hat #7 of what they called - The Stetson Ermine Series “B”. There is a certificate inside the lid that is encased in a protective leather and clear plastic frame. Next to the certificate are 3 black & white ermine tails attached with a gold Stetson seal. The certificate states that this was hat #7 of 10 in the series, and that the tails are from the actual ermine skins used to make the hat. (The hat was a combination of beaver & ermine) Unfortunately, the original hat was not in the box but a beautiful Stetson Beaver Twenty-Five was. The case – although in poor shape today – was very well made with fine materials. I can only imagine what this hat must have cost in it’s day and what lucky clientel got to be chosen for such a small production run. Amazingly, about a year after winning this, another of the ten cases came up for bid on eBay. I bid on it too, but was beat out. If I recall correctly it was in a little poorer shape than mine and didn’t come with a hat. So I was just wondering if anyone here at the Lounge has ever heard of such a hat or if some lucky lounger happens to have a Stetson marked as ‘Ermine Series B’?

Thanks,
Jay

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the lounge Jay

I've never heard of this series but it wouldn't surprise me that a limited productin was done. Unfortunately, Hatco, who is a rep from Stetson just left for a vacation today and I suspect he would be the key man to fill you in on this box and series. If you don't get a great deal of response, maybe you can bring it back up in a couple of weeks to give him a chance to research it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Jay --

I'm not sure I can answer your question, but the Beaver/Ermine combo did ring a bell for me. The following excerpt is from Amon: The Texan Who Played Cowboy for America, by Jerry Emmons. It might shed some light on the price of such lids, along with the types of folks who wound up with one:

"Harry Truman, whom Amon did not like because of Truman's anti-Texas position on offshore oil, was given only the standard Shady Oak hat, as were Presidents Coolidge and Hoover, who, being Republicans, weren't considered very important. There was another very special Stetson worn by Amon and a few of his peers, among them FDR and Churchill. It was pure beaver, embellished by ermine, and cost $150. Hornby and Freiburg, a Chicago men's store, displayed one of the fancy hats. The accompanying sign read: 'This $150 Stetson is the finest hat we know of. It is a duplicate of the one worn by Amon Carter, picturesque and influential Fort Worth publisher.'"

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
We will never be able to say that we've seen everything when it comes to hats. You may not have the hat original to that spectacular box, but the one you did get is still a prize.

JtL, you and Brad Bowers are probably the two guys with more book knowledge of hats than anyone on the Lounge - not that you don't have the hands on experience as well, but you share that with quite a few others. You guys really impress me. I'm really trying to catch up. I've got 2 Debbie Henderson books shipping out this week, and I think that Amon is going on my list.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Stetsonian said:
I bought the following leather hatbox off of eBay well over 5 years ago. It was custom made for Stetson by a company called ‘Belber’ to hold hat #7 of what they called - The Stetson Ermine Series “B”. There is a certificate inside the lid that is encased in a protective leather and clear plastic frame. Next to the certificate are 3 black & white ermine tails attached with a gold Stetson seal. The certificate states that this was hat #7 of 10 in the series, and that the tails are from the actual ermine skins used to make the hat. (The hat was a combination of beaver & ermine) Unfortunately, the original hat was not in the box but a beautiful Stetson Beaver Twenty-Five was. The case – although in poor shape today – was very well made with fine materials. I can only imagine what this hat must have cost in it’s day and what lucky clientel got to be chosen for such a small production run. Amazingly, about a year after winning this, another of the ten cases came up for bid on eBay. I bid on it too, but was beat out. If I recall correctly it was in a little poorer shape than mine and didn’t come with a hat. So I was just wondering if anyone here at the Lounge has ever heard of such a hat or if some lucky lounger happens to have a Stetson marked as ‘Ermine Series B’?

Thanks,
Jay

Years ago, there was a Stetson Ermine with the seal and tails and documentation on ebay. The hat was a beautiful light silverbelly, and was in size 6 7/8. The starting bid was something like $3,000. It had documentation and pictures with it showing how it was given to a pre-Castro Cuban diplomat.

It was listed on there several times, but never sold. I have no idea where it is today. Graham at Optimo said that it was among the finest hats ever made. The stuff of legend.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Ermine hat was produced by Stetson in 1939. They made 10 of them . Each hat was individualy boxed and was made from Ermine. One did pop up on Ebay but was a 6 7/8. Im sure that if another one exiists and is a normal size, it would fetch a lot of money. I offered 1000.00 for the one on Ebay and was turned down .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I spent a while putting together all sorts of google searches for this and came up with nothing. I'd really love to hear and see more about this.

Stetsonian

New in Town
Stetson Ermine Series 'B'

Thanks for all the replies gents, I feel a little more knowledgeable about this box now than I was before. I too would sure like to see what one of these hats looks like. Art, you're right, I should try getting Hatco's attention to this post once he returns to see if he has any insight to add. And JTL, it's funny that you mentioned Amon Carter since it was probably only a month or so ago that I first heard of him. One of his famous 'Shady Oaks Farms' hats was up for bids on eBay and I decided to do a little Google research on him. Interesting character! Thanks again for all the info from everyone!

Jay

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 100, eat your heart out!

JtL, as always, is right on the mark. Check out this ad. (The images I've found in the NY Times archives don't convert from pdf to other formats that well.)

October 9, 1941.

The text reads:
Flash quits city wearing $150 hat
Gordon dons his prize as star of World Series for motor trip to Oregon home.

The Stetson hat that Young's awarded Joe Gordon for being chosen the outstanding player of the 1941 World Series is the finest in the world. It is made of Siberian ermine and Rocky Mountain beaver. For men who are interested in a hat of this unequaled excellence, Young's will be pleased to create one to order.

Stetson Ermine-Beaver $150

stetsonermine1941.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Sept 1941 ad

Here is an ad from Sept 4, 1941 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette for the Stetson Ermine-Beaver. Wish I had the hat to go with it.

B

stetson_ermine.jpg

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I think the people who has the said legendary hat ought to wear this with it:

Earl_coronation_robes.jpg

In private of course (unless they are an Earl of the UK enroute to a coronation)...

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The one hat that poped up on Ebay was owner by a military man if I remeber correctly. I have to look in my collection of Hat Life magazines to find the ad for the hat.
I'm sure that this was a fantastic hat.

steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot