Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King’s Umbrella Hat Company

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Updates as a hat is being made are always fun. My King’s Umbrella felt is pounced and blocked and the brim is cut. We’re waiting on the ribbon to arrive (we’re looking at a light blue option).

Meanwhile this other ribbon in the photo also looks quite lovely - Alan said it is called “sea haze” and is “in the grey-green-blue family.”

I’m very pleased with the block and brim break here. This is a 5-3/4 inch crown with dimensional brim.
Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 1.23.43 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 1.23.39 PM.jpeg

hambone71

Practically Family
Updates as a hat is being made are always fun. My King’s Umbrella felt is pounced and blocked and the brim is cut. We’re waiting on the ribbon to arrive (we’re looking at a light blue option).

Meanwhile this other ribbon in the photo also looks quite lovely - Alan said it is called “sea haze” and is “in the grey-green-blue family.”

I’m very pleased with the block and brim break here. This is a 5-3/4 inch crown with dimensional brim.
View attachment 587374
View attachment 587377
I can already tell, it's gonna be a good one. Mines next on the block. I'm excited about the fancy hat box too, and the fancy calligraphy.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I can already tell, it's gonna be a good one. Mines next on the block. I'm excited about the fancy hat box too, and the fancy calligraphy.
I have to admit the box was the final straw on this decision. I hope Alan isn't losing money on this start up (I mean, free shipping on top of everything else?) and I wonder how long he will be able to provide the fancy boxes (maybe forever, what do I know?), but I sure hope I get one!

hambone71

Practically Family
I have to admit the box was the final straw on this decision. I hope Alan isn't losing money on this start up (I mean, free shipping on top of everything else?) and I wonder how long he will be able to provide the fancy boxes (maybe forever, what do I know?), but I sure hope I get one!
He must not have a lot if money in those "barn find" felt bodies. I hope he has quite a few left, though, because I may need another one. :oops:

He must not have a lot if money in those "barn find" felt bodies. I hope he has quite a few left, though, because I may need another one. :oops:

He’s already out of hat bodies big enough to make hats in my size. I’m thinking of sending him a FEPSA felt body, but then I’m trying to not buy more hats for the rest of the year…except for those already in the works.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
What a beautiful color combination. I'm not big into blue but that is a fantastic look.

Not the final bow work, just a quick mock-up from Alan to verify ribbon choice and bow style. I love this - simple and light and it stops just short of Miami Vice (in my opinion, at least).

A matching whippet style brim binding to be added as well and are are just now talking wind cords. Hooyah!

View attachment 589247

hambone71

Practically Family
Not the final bow work, just a quick mock-up from Alan to verify ribbon choice and bow style. I love this - simple and light and it stops just short of Miami Vice (in my opinion, at least).

A matching whippet style brim binding to be added as well and we are just now talking wind cords. Hooyah!

View attachment 589247
That is gonna be one sweet hat, my friend. Did Alan say if he had more Bone felts? The more I look at this, the more I likes!

Mine is off the block and ready for the brim binding.

Screenshot_20240211-000629_kindlephoto-147146781.png

hambone71

Practically Family
I have landed on this ribbon color and also nix'd the brim binding. I have opted for a raw edge instead. If the binding were a closer match to the felt, I'd move forward with it but ultimately, I felt I may have too many browns going on.

We're also in discussion of a frayed rear bow. Not quite sold on that yet.

Screenshot_20240211-114311_kindlephoto-185272873.png

I have landed on this ribbon color and also nix'd the brim binding. I have opted for a raw edge instead. If the binding were a closer match to the felt, I'd move forward with it but ultimately, I felt I may have too many browns going on.

We're also in discussion of a frayed rear bow. Not quite sold on that yet.

View attachment 589403

I rarely opt for raw brim edges, but they can be just the ticket. I wonder if anyone is offering a wafer brim edge…?

I rarely opt for raw brim edges, but they can be just the ticket. I wonder if anyone is offering a wafer brim edge…?
It is possible it just depends on how much the hatter sands down the brim edge. A brim plater helps as well as the hydraulic pressure does compress the felt. I think a brim plater is on most hatters wish list but at $12-15 grand out of most or our capabilities. I think at the very least hatters sand down the hard right angle that the rounding jack produces on the cut.

It is possible it just depends on how much the hatter sands down the brim edge. A brim plater helps as well as the hydraulic pressure does compress the felt. I think a brim plater is on most hatters wish list but at $12-15 grand out of most or our capabilities. I think at the very least hatters sand down the hard right angle that the rounding jack produces on the cut.

Are they really that expensive? I didn’t think they would be cheap, but that’s ridiculous. I know Kevin @ChicagoWayVito has one among with a full set of sized plates. I’m going to as Gannon for a wafer edge on my first hat from him using FEPSA rabbit felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner