Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King’s Umbrella Hat Company

Sad end....I ordered a hat from King's Umbrella but alas his felts are on the small side and he could not get me the 5 3/4" crown and 2 3/4' brim I wanted out of them. Oh, well....didn't need that new hat anyway.

It arrived:

IMG_9518.jpeg
IMG_9517.jpeg
IMG_9523.jpeg
IMG_9524.jpeg
IMG_9525.jpeg
IMG_9526.jpeg
IMG_9527.jpeg
IMG_9529.jpeg
IMG_9531.jpeg
IMG_9528.jpeg

All shaping was done dry on my regular fence post. The felt has a great luxurious feel to it, and it’s different from an other felt I’ve experienced. It’s very soft and has minimal stiffeners. I’ll steam and refine the shaping, but the felt does not disappoint. The specifications are shown in one of the photos, but I’ve measured and remeasured the crown and it’s just shy of 6 ¼” open. The build quality is first rate. The binding butting is flawless, the seating of the sweatband is perfect, etc. The sweatband is the softest most supple leather I’ve ever experienced in a hat. It has decorative stitching and it’s laced, but it’s the comfort that is a revelation. I’m astonished that this is only the forth hat he has made.

The wood hat box, complete with inner support ring, is covered in velour and the whole box is an over-the-top addition to a very affordable hat (the price includes shipping too).

Their supply of felt large enough to work for me is exhausted. He is considering FEPSA and other sources. I’ve promised myself that I was not going to commission another hat this year (a few still in the works), but I’d be sorely tempted if this hatter said he had a nice felt in my size.

It arrived:

View attachment 583801 View attachment 583802 View attachment 583803 View attachment 583804 View attachment 583805 View attachment 583806 View attachment 583807 View attachment 583808 View attachment 583809 View attachment 583810

All shaping was done dry on my regular fence post. The felt has a great luxurious feel to it, and it’s different from an other felt I’ve experienced. It’s very soft and has minimal stiffeners. I’ll steam and refine the shaping, but the felt does not disappoint. The specifications are shown in one of the photos, but I’ve measured and remeasured the crown and it’s just shy of 6 ¼” open. The build quality is first rate. The binding butting is flawless, the seating of the sweatband is perfect, etc. The sweatband is the softest most supple leather I’ve ever experienced in a hat. It has decorative stitching and it’s laced, but it’s the comfort that is a revelation. I’m astonished that this is only the forth hat he has made.

The wood hat box, complete with inner support ring, is covered in velour and the whole box is an over-the-top addition to a very affordable hat (the price includes shipping too).

Their supply of felt large enough to work for me is exhausted. He is considering FEPSA and other sources. I’ve promised myself that I was not going to commission another hat this year (a few still in the works), but I’d be sorely tempted if this hatter said he had a nice felt in my size.
Is that the Mushroom coloured felt? That is the colour I tried to commission but he said he could not acommodate my 7 3/8 size, 5 3/4" crown and a 2 7/8" brim. I love the colour.

Is that the Mushroom coloured felt? That is the colour I tried to commission but he said he could not acommodate my 7 3/8 size, 5 3/4" crown and a 2 7/8" brim. I love the colour.

If you zoom in on the photo of the lid there are a couple documents. The oval one on the left shows the specifics. The felt is hickory…not sure if he came up with the name or…?

hambone71

Practically Family
If you zoom in on the photo of the lid there are a couple documents. The oval one on the left shows the specifics. The felt is hickory…not sure if he came up with the name or…?
Hickory is the color I chose as well. Gotta wait on the block, though. Glad you posted. The color on yours looks even better than in the photos they sent me.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Another great looking Michigan hat.

It arrived:

View attachment 583801 View attachment 583802 View attachment 583803 View attachment 583804 View attachment 583805 View attachment 583806 View attachment 583807 View attachment 583808 View attachment 583809 View attachment 583810

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda