Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King’s Umbrella Hat Company

Are they really that expensive? I didn’t think they would be cheap, but that’s ridiculous. I know Kevin @ChicagoWayVito has one among with a full set of sized plates. I’m going to as Gannon for a wafer edge on my first hat from him using FEPSA rabbit felt.
My fellow hatter here has one on order. You have the plater itself then the additional cost of the plates, one for each size and separate sets for long and regular oval. I think he is in for somewhere over $12K.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
That is gonna be one sweet hat, my friend. Did Alan say if he had more Bone felts? The more I look at this, the more I likes!

Mine is off the block and ready for the brim binding.

View attachment 589299
This looks fantastic Phil! What are the dimensions? Another superb looking block from Alan and a very handsome felt!

About bone felt: when I asked Alan about it he indicated that he had this one left (the one that I took) which was one of two and the first one was already gone. Beyond that I couldn't say.

hambone71

Practically Family
This looks fantastic Phil! What are the dimensions? Another superb looking block from Alan and a very handsome felt!

About bone felt: when I asked Alan about it he indicated that he had this one left (the one that I took) which was one of two and the first one was already gone. Beyond that I couldn't say.
Mine is a 5 1/2” open crown and 2 5/8” raw edge brim. That 2 5/8” brim seems to be my sweet spot for now.

hambone71

Practically Family
I have not heard an update. Alan’s work schedule for hats does not seem consistent and I’m in no rush. I am anticipating maybe an update again next week but maybe I’ll be surprised before then?
I'm not in any big rush either and certainly don't want him to feel rushed. I kind of figured he'd have yours done this week, though.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I'm not in any big rush either and certainly don't want him to feel rushed. I kind of figured he'd have yours done this week, though.
Well we are paying him so there is a reasonable expectation of timeliness. I’m honestly surprised he didn’t get mine done yesterday (Sunday). Maybe he was hot on another project yesterday - I mean we here on the Lounge aren’t his only customers.

But I think you and I chatted before about the suspicion that Alan only does hat work on weekends. Still no idea if that’s true but I’m still operating on that assumption.

If I don’t hear anything by Saturday morning, I will message Alan Saturday afternoon. He now has everything he needs to finish my hat so delays at this point will be concerning.

hambone71

Practically Family
Well we are paying him so there is a reasonable expectation of timeliness. I’m honestly surprised he didn’t get mine done yesterday (Sunday). Maybe he was hot on another project yesterday - I mean we here on the Lounge aren’t his only customers.

But I think you and I chatted before about the suspicion that Alan only does hat work on weekends. Still no idea if that’s true but I’m still operating on that assumption.

If I don’t hear anything by Saturday morning, I will message Alan Saturday afternoon. He now has everything he needs to finish my hat so delays at this point will be concerning.
Yeah, I'm thinking he probably has a day job and his hat making is a weekend/spare time gig. He's fairly quiet during the week, but come the weekend, he's filling my inbox with messages and photos. And I'm good with that.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Yeah, I'm thinking he probably has a day job and his hat making is a weekend/spare time gig. He's fairly quiet during the week, but come the weekend, he's filling my inbox with messages and photos. And I'm good with that.
Same… and he was really on top of it Saturday. In fact, we sorted it all out by the end of the day - which is why Sunday was surprising when I heard nothing.

But yeah, I fully expect movement this weekend. I’m in no way feeling impatient about it. Alan’s been great to work with.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Holy cow what a hat!

I don't think I've ever seen a hat quite like this. It will certainly be a challenge for my personal style to pull this off... but I am excited to give it a try.

Everything about this hat screams summer to me, maybe like a salesman at a summer fair or a dandy at a summer resort back in the 1920s. It feels very old school, like from the Jazz Age.

I should receive this by the end of next week.

Certainly a small crimson feather would give it a patriotic flair.

016208A5-FD8C-4B72-B8F5-87ABC29446BF.jpeg

0A69D9B3-786B-4E82-9F1F-0CEB9301CDF8.jpeg

DEC8630D-D0C4-4361-A5D2-9DCED972293C.jpeg

698DEC90-172A-40C4-9E38-11D514F7E5EE.jpeg

Holy cow what a hat!

I don't think I've ever seen a hat quite like this. It will certainly be a challenge for my personal style to pull this off... but I am excited to give it a try.

Everything about this hat screams summer to me, maybe like a salesman at a summer fair or a dandy at a summer resort back in the 1920s. It feels very old school, like from the Jazz Age.

View attachment 591579
View attachment 591580
View attachment 591581
View attachment 591582

Bold! It looks like something Gatsby might have worn, and it shouts “summer” to me too. Can’t wait for see it shaped on being worn.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely! I'd say it's time to promenade along the boardwalk!

Holy cow what a hat!

View attachment 591579
View attachment 591580
View attachment 591581
View attachment 591582

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Holy cow what a hat!

View attachment 591579
View attachment 591580
View attachment 591581
View attachment 591582
What a fabulous hat, how the brim's blue ribbon gives it such unique flair. I might just steal that idea and get my milliner to check your fabulous hat out.

"It will certainly be a challenge for my personal style to pull this off... but I am excited to give it a try."

Just go for it, mine doesn't have the brim ribbon, but it gives you the idea of how a light/white or cream hat can "lift" an outfit, and as you suggested, a summer one.

Striped blazer & tie 001.JPG

hambone71

Practically Family
Looks like I'm up now. This will ship Friday.

And for anyone interested:
Handmade Custom Fedora
Felt; Beaver blend in color "Hickory"
Size; 7-1/8 Custom
Crown; Full, 5.5" Open Height
Brim; 2-5/8" raw with a 501520 flange
Trim; 1-11/16" vintage grosgrain in color "Serpent" with frayed offset double bow and wind cord with vintage button
Liner; pure silk in color "Straw"
Sweatband; vegetable tanned goat skin with silk sweat guard and silk reeding in color "Chocolate", vintage style rayon lacing in color "Stark White" and matching hand tied bow

Screenshot_20240220-182309_kindlephoto-878628192.png
Screenshot_20240220-182143_kindlephoto-878543827.png
Screenshot_20240220-182229_kindlephoto-878586429.png

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

Handmade Custom Fedora
Size; 7-1/8 Custom
Trim; 1-11/16" vintage grosgrain in color "Serpent" with frayed offset double bow and wind cord with vintage button
Sweatband; vegetable tanned goat skin with silk sweat guard and silk reeding in color "Chocolate", vintage style rayon lacing in color "Stark White" and matching hand tied bow

View attachment 592568 View attachment 592569 View attachment 592570
That is a darn good looking hat. You and Alan put that together brilliantly! Can’t wait to see it on your head brother.

The ribbon was a particular good choice in every regard - color, style and width all perfectly blend into the felt color, size and block. “Serpent” oooh! That’s good medicine in some cultures!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Another beauty!

Handmade Custom Fedora
Size; 7-1/8 Custom

View attachment 592568 View attachment 592569 View attachment 592570

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner