Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever put a wider ribbon on a Camp Draft?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
I am looking to add a grey hat to my collection. I love my 2 Camp Drafts and am considering a Mid Grey but swapping out for a wider ribbon and maybe a 1/4 to 3/8 in. trim of the brim. Any pics? GTDean, I would like to see your Mid Grey CD in person sometime.
Thanks
Jed

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Tawny campdraft with ribbon from federation.

100_0253-1.jpg

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Darn nice lids, fellas. Now how should I go about getting a wide ribbon on a Camp Draft? Did jazzncocktails do it himself or send it off? I want it to look nice so is DIY an option or just suck it up and send it to a hatter? If sending it off, any recommendations who to use?
GTDean, I will shoot you a PM sometime. I'd really like to check one out before ordering.

billyspew

One Too Many
dawgvet said:
Darn nice lids, fellas. Now how should I go about getting a wide ribbon on a Camp Draft? Did jazzncocktails do it himself or send it off? I want it to look nice so is DIY an option or just suck it up and send it to a hatter? If sending it off, any recommendations who to use?
GTDean, I will shoot you a PM sometime. I'd really like to check one out before ordering.

I think he did it himself - I think he got the ribbon from hatsdirect.

I've done it a couple of times - as long as you've got enough ribbon to have a couple of attemptes you should be able to as well. Make sure it's a ploy/cotton mix - vintage basically - you'll be able to find it on the 'bay. There's some instructions here somewhere, important bit is to "swirl" the ribbon by wetting and ironing it into a curl that matches the taper of the hat.

I had no previous experience with a needle and thread, other than (badly) sewing on the odd button.

Jed,
I have used Major Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters for ribbon work & had excellent results. Just let me know, got a Mid-Brown & Green one, too. The Glen Grey is a touch more blueish than photos show. I've got a grey Squatter for comparison sakes.
Also, that guy up at Sacketts may do ribbon work if he's in a good mood.
dawgvet said:

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Single-bow Wide Ribbon Camp Draft

This arrived today:

4296939048_edfceeb387.jpg

According to the seller, the wide ribbon was applied to hide a discoloration in the felt above the stock ribbon. Here's the auction listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...26176&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

It's a great looking hat. My first Akubra, but probably not my last, this hat threatens to knock my Knox Westlite off it's pedastal as my go-to hat.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Now that's a good-looking fedora! I'm really thinking of a grey Camp Draft with a black wider ribbon. Input from the fellas?
Jedidiah

Tone

A-List Customer
Hey! With that wider ribbon, they look just like a FED IV - but in correct proportion, too, though!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Single-bow Campdraft

Here are a couple of head shots - it's very stiff, like a western hat - I'm getting a lot of nice comments on it.

4296935542_942f3cef67.jpg

4296187013_f1eb0b65a5.jpg

It's a bit more on the brown side than these photos make it appear - this is supposed to be Tawny Fawn I think (or is it Fawny Tawn?)

High Pockets

Practically Family
Salty O'Rourke said:
Here are a couple of head shots - it's very stiff, like a western hat - I'm getting a lot of nice comments on it.

4296187013_f1eb0b65a5.jpg

It's a bit more on the brown side than these photos make it appear - this is supposed to be Tawny Fawn I think (or is it Fawny Tawn?)

THAT'S what I'm looking for!! If you don't mind, Salty, how wide is that ribbon?
I'm hoping to achieve a 1930's look by adding a nice ribbon about that wide with a big bow, and cutting down the brim bit.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
High Pockets said:
THAT'S what I'm looking for!! If you don't mind, Salty, how wide is that ribbon?
I'm hoping to achieve a 1930's look by adding a nice ribbon about that wide with a big bow, and cutting down the brim bit.

It is 1 7/16.

Tone

A-List Customer
Originally Posted by Salty O'Rourke

Good looking hat, Salty. Did you buy it second-hand? Has that 'crown was steam-shaped' feel to it, kind of. Great color, though. A definite favorite!

HP
Hmm. I thought the FED IV was supposed to "be" Akubra's 1930's hat. Out of curiosity why aren't you just grabbing one of those?

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
High Pockets said:

The brim is 2 3/4" - I'd think long and hard before cutting it down for fear it would look out of proportion to that tall crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo