Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever try Ryler Stylers?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I accidently came across these while searching for something else. www.adiscountbeauty.com/page404.html

Since I'm a sucker for any type of hair gadget, I had to buy them.My hair is short, so I got the small size, they look real goofy on, but they give a nice wave and are easier to use (for me anyway) than the marcel wave clips that I had been using.

crwritt

One Too Many
RetroMom said:
I accidently came across these while searching for something else. www.adiscountbeauty.com/page404.html

Since I'm a sucker for any type of hair gadget, I had to buy them.My hair is short, so I got the small size, they look real goofy on, but they give a nice wave and are easier to use (for me anyway) than the marcel wave clips that I had been using.

How long did it take to get your hair dry wearing them? Mine dries so slowly I need a bonnet dryer and I doubt they would fit under it. Still, that is a very pretty wave effect. Somewhat Lillian Gish.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Well I don't recommend trying to sleep in them!:)

I usually set my hair slightly damp, after I have added my setting lotion. My hair is unfortunately, very fine and thin so it doesn't take too long to dry. But having said that, I only use these rollers when I know I can keep them for most of the day and take them out in the evening, spray lightly and go to sleep in a hair net to hold the wave.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those have got to be the funniest looking things I've ever seen. They don't look all that comfortable, but they do look like the achieve a great wave. I think I'm gonna have to give them a try. They actually look like they are pretty easy to use, and definitely easier than trying to wave my hair piece by piece with a wave iron.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have some, they work okay.

I prefer the look of fingerwaves though. Ryler stylers make the same kind of waves as waving irons, but they seem kinda 2 dimensional to me.

Still they are easier to do by yourself than fingerwaves.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
RetroMom,
I have fine thin hair also. I currently use a triple barrel curling iron to get my waves, but these looking interesting. Do you think a person could speed up the drying process with a blower dryer and a diffuser? I have some large metal wave clips, but I'm all thumbs trying to use them. I even have a barber friend who gave me a textbook that describes how to do finger waves and I'm still struggling with that. Even pin curls are kind of tricky for me.

I think we ought to have a Powder Room sleep-over and we can do each other's hair. (At least that's what I did when I was young.);)

Joli7211

Familiar Face
1rylerstylers.jpg

You know? I'm not sure that I'd sleep in this...:eek: Lovely effect though. :D

Blondie

Practically Family
would love to see some pic of a hair do from someone on here who uses them,
how do the bottom ones stay in and not slide out ??

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Blondie said:
would love to see some pic of a hair do from someone on here who uses them,
how do the bottom ones stay in and not slide out ??

You could wrap the end of the hair around the bottom rod a few times and secure with a claw clamp to make sure the ends have curl, and it would keep the rollers in too.

Blondie

Practically Family
KittyT said:
You could wrap the end of the hair around the bottom rod a few times and secure with a claw clamp to make sure the ends have curl, and it would keep the rollers in too.
Good thinking 99 !!!!!!!!!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I just ordered some of these! I've given up trying to get some of those metal ones, for the time being anyway. But I have an event in a couple weeks, so I'll post some pictures of them in my hair and how it turns out!

Sunland Sare

New in Town
i've got them, they're soooo uncomfortable; you look like a complete goomber with them in; they're difficult to get the hang of; they dont create quite the right wave.... i could go on forever....

but they're cheap and they'll do when you dont have a lot of time on your hands

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had em, used them once, and threw them out:eusa_doh: They were just too uncomfortable, and I didn't get a good wave out of them. I'll stick to my vintage wave clips from now one, they're even more comfortable than the rylers!! That says a lot!!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
I have the Ryler Stylers, and I'm not a fan of the wave it produces. They just don't give that deep ridge I'm looking for.

Has anyone ever tried the Brush Curling method?

http://www.revampvintage.com/30sbrushcurling.html

I want to try it tonight, but I'm wondering if you can use sponger curlers set in the same way to get a more deep wave. Anyone know?

I haven't tried the brush curling method, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they are talking about. ( I need visuals to understand more)
But I have been working on using curlers to make waves, and I recently did one on a friend, and they do in fact, make nice deep waves with good ridges.

I will have to look at the way it was set in the revamp site, but I set mine in a wave pattern. Let me know if you need a pic..

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Any photos will help!! I printed the instructions to the brush curling, and I think I have them figured out, but looking at it and doing it are two differing things.

I think I'll try it with curlers and see how it goes. I'll let you know what kind of results I get.

Joli7211

Familiar Face
Hmmmm... Those brush curls look alot like a pin curl in my opinion. At least how I do them anyhow. If you look at the curls at the back that is how my pin curls come out before I brush them out a bit. Maybe I'm doing pin curls all wrong!:eusa_doh: lol Mind you, I haven't been doing my whole head like this, just 2 rows along the hairline. Hmmm... I need to redo them tonight... I may just try it all over and see what that does. [huh] I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy