Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever try Ryler Stylers?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
Any photos will help!! I printed the instructions to the brush curling, and I think I have them figured out, but looking at it and doing it are two differing things.

I think I'll try it with curlers and see how it goes. I'll let you know what kind of results I get.

Sounds great and good luck! I will post my pics right here.

Here I had the blue rollers going in a southeast direction (away from the face, towards the nape of the neck) . Then I had the purple rollers going back in a west/southwest direction (towards the face and chin).

100_4870.jpg

Here is is brushed out, it is hard to see really how deep it is, but is was the deepest wave I've ever gotten. It was kinda rad. :-D

100_4873.jpg

Joli7211

Familiar Face
Rebecca D said:
Hey Joli,
Do you sleep in that style of pincurl? Do they get all smashed?

Well from what I understand from the pictures and directions it looks alot like how I'm doing pin curls, so maybe I'm doing pin curls all wrong... I sleep in them and they turn out ok in the morning. I really brush them out though, and I haven't done all over my head yet, so I don't know if they actually wave or if they crush.[huh]

jayem

A-List Customer
Wow... no. I don't think I'd try those. You can achieve an almost identical wave using pin curls, and you won't look ridiculous. The models hair looks a little too greasy for me.

Joli7211

Familiar Face
Joli7211 said:
Well from what I understand from the pictures and directions it looks alot like how I'm doing pin curls, so maybe I'm doing pin curls all wrong... I sleep in them and they turn out ok in the morning. I really brush them out though, and I haven't done all over my head yet, so I don't know if they actually wave or if they crush.[huh]

Ok, so I stayed up way too late last night watching a movie on TCM, so I didn't get my curls in last night. Darn those old movies! lol

Laura Chase

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
Sounds great and good luck! I will post my pics right here.

Here I had the blue rollers going in a southeast direction (away from the face, towards the nape of the neck) . Then I had the purple rollers going back in a west/southwest direction (towards the face and chin).

100_4870.jpg

Here is is brushed out, it is hard to see really how deep it is, but is was the deepest wave I've ever gotten. It was kinda rad. :-D

100_4873.jpg

That looks amazing, and very easy. Which type of rollers was this again?

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Hey, Red (when I say that I feel like the dirty men on the street who whistle at redheads!)! Thank you so much for the pictures. That set came out really, really well!

When I got home last night I was much too lazy to do a wet set, so this morning I tried the same set as the one in the Revamp link, only with my carusos. When I removed them, the wave fell into the pattern I wanted, but, darn it, I guess I used too much steam, because my hair –which was dry when I started- was really damp and limp. I hate it when I do that! I had to quickly redo my hair with a generic hot sticks set, and it’s just not as fun as finger waves.

I’m going to try the amazing set you posted, only with sponge rollers, so I can sleep on it. One question, though: are those purple rollers in the back rolled up or down?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Rebecca, the purple rollers are rolled down , toward the face. And the purple rollers are the same diameter as the blue rollers, maybe a bit shorter in length. I got them at different places and ran out of blue.:eusa_doh:

When you re-set the hair in the hot stiks, you didn't do it in the same pattern as when you did the Caruso? (just so I'm following correctly) I'm glad the set itself with teh Caruso's gave you the wave you wanted! I will have to look at that pattern and see what I can get out of it.

I've also been pondering on what would the wave look like if I used those tiny metal curlers. Maybe I could get more waves, of course they would be smaller as well. Has anyone else tried using the metal rollers?

If you do it again Rebecca, please take a pic and post! :D

LauraChase, Thanks! They are the magnetic rollers that you use clippies with. You can find them at Sally's if you have one near you. I also use the kind of clippies that disappear into the roller, if you are doing a tight set, then they won't get in the way like traditional double and single prong clippies do.

Thank you Miss 1929! :D

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Red, I didn’t do the hot sticks in the same pattern. I did the original set by wrapping the carusos tightly from the scalp and then onwards down to the tip, and that’s pretty difficult with hot sticks. Is that how you wrapped the curlers in your set? Or did you do roll them from the tip up to the scalp?

I have a bunch of those small metal rollers, but they’re probably not too comfortable to sleep on, so I never use them. I’d love to hear from someone who has used them, though.

I really wish I had a working camera right now, so I could show my blunders in fingerwaving. Anyone else trying this?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Oh ok, I was confused. I'm still trying to figure out how you roll from the scalp to the tips. I only know how to do that with a curling iron. And the hair is sliding through the iron. (that's why I need visuals, it's totally not computing in my head!lol )

When I did the roller set, I rolled from tip to scalp.
Oh and I have a hood dryer at home, so I don't have to sleep on them, I sucker my friends into coming over so I can guinea pig them. lol They look pretty in the end. ;) :D

Joli7211

Familiar Face
~*Red*~ said:
Oh ok, I was confused. I'm still trying to figure out how you roll from the scalp to the tips. I only know how to do that with a curling iron. And the hair is sliding through the iron. (that's why I need visuals, it's totally not computing in my head!lol )

When I did the roller set, I rolled from tip to scalp.
Oh and I have a hood dryer at home, so I don't have to sleep on them, I sucker my friends into coming over so I can guinea pig them. lol They look pretty in the end. ;) :D

You wrap the hair around your finger. I use a make-up brush handle instead of my finger, but I still place my finger at the scalp and wrap the hair around.

I've looked at the pictures again, it's not exactly how I do my pin curls. I tried it anyhow, and OH BOY! I've got waves ok... They're so deep I can't do anything with them other than look as if I have some freakish wavey 'fro! :eek: lol So I flattened everything out as best as I could and rolled all of my hair.[huh] Oh well!

Cinnamon

New in Town
Thanks for posting this. I just bought the Ryler Styler yesterday. I had not heard of it, however I too like hair gadgets and this one may work for me.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I've done several wave sets now, and, Red, your photo really helped! My best set yet was done by following your example, and using purple perm rods. Boy does that give a spectacular, deep wave!

Last night I did a set by using raised pincurls, and it turned out ok, but I think I can do better with a clean head of hair.

Thanks again for posting that photo!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
WOOWOO!!

Rebecca D said:
I've done several wave sets now, and, Red, your photo really helped! My best set yet was done by following your example, and using purple perm rods. Boy does that give a spectacular, deep wave!

Last night I did a set by using raised pincurls, and it turned out ok, but I think I can do better with a clean head of hair.

Thanks again for posting that photo!

Yay! I'm so glad it worked for you! :D :eusa_clap

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Red! you are waaaay too talented.
go and stand in the corner for ooooh.....about five minutes.:D

That set looks great!!!!:eusa_clap
lol ok... (walks to corner):D Thank you.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I have that iron too and find it really heavy/cumbersome and seem to end up burning my scalp a ton because it is so hard to maneuver.

advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24