Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever try Ryler Stylers?

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
RBD, what diameter of iron would you compare that width? (if the barrels were single) I think mine is smaller, and I might want a bigger one. Thanks!

Not so sure on the diameter. I'll have to check when I can. I think it's 3/4 inch.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Well, I got the Ryler Stylers. They are not what I expected. They are really big, and they are all attached? I thought they'd be separate. Anyway, I've been really sick so I haven't had a chance to play with them. And the event is Sat so I may not try them. I'll let you know. And I'll take some pictures of them, they really do look weird.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Hey Red (or anyone else)!
This was my great Aunt Alice:

Do you think I could get this hairdo by using curlers or pin curls? Any ideas? I love that she has waves going all the way down and doesn't have a lot of fluff and curliness on the bottom, which is something I just can't figure out. When I use curlers, I always have super curly ends.

Maybe we should start a new thread about hair curling patterns?

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Rebecca D said:

Do you think I could get this hairdo by using curlers or pin curls? Any ideas? I love that she has waves going all the way down and doesn't have a lot of fluff and curliness on the bottom, which is something I just can't figure out. When I use curlers, I always have super curly ends.

Such a beautiful photo! Looks like fingerwave probably done by somebody else using setting lotion and maybe fingerwaving clamps.

roots66

One of the Regulars
Rebecca D said:

I've been thinking the same thing! It'd be really convenient and helpful. (Not that there aren't a lot of pics already in the "hairdos" thread and elsewhere, but they're not the most easily searchable threads.)

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
roots66 said:
I've been thinking the same thing! It'd be really convenient and helpful. (Not that there aren't a lot of pics already in the "hairdos" thread and elsewhere, but they're not the most easily searchable threads.)

I'd join in on that thread. Sounds like fun.

Blondie

Practically Family
This may help with your marcel waves !
fingerwave2.gif

fingerwave3.gif

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:

Hey Rebecca! Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, for some reason I couldn't reply to anything this morning! It wouldn't let me!

Anyhow, I agree with RBD, and these waves are definitely not done with pincurls or rollers. Although the bottom, is curled, so I would say fingerwave the top and pincurl the rest. Also you could a do a serious wet fingerwave and pincurl set, and then when it's dry brush it out so it is soft. The only thing is, when you set it wet you would have to make the waves closer together, because when you brush them out, they become a looser wave.. or larger? The pattern will stay, let's just say it will settle some. ;) And then when you brush out the pincurls, just reform by brushing sections over your finger.

texasgirl

One Too Many
So, I tried out the Ryler Stylers on Saturday night and I took some pictures.

Here is how I placed them. They are pretty easy to use. You just place the hair over the rod and clamp it down
hairsoiree001.jpg

hairsoiree003.jpg

hairsoiree002.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I took them out
hairsoiree006.jpg

And after a brush!!!
hairsoiree011.jpg

So I decided to get out my trusty hot rollers. I placed about 5 really small ones around to try to get the ends all curled under.
hairsoiree012.jpg

hairsoiree013.jpg

So after styling it came out okay.
hairsoiree015.jpg

hairsoiree017.jpg

Conclusion:
I would say these do not really make that S wave we try to achieve. It's more of an up and down wave than a back and forth wave if that makes any sense. I think they would be great for 80s crimped hair! I mean, I think it came out okay. I wasn't embarrassed or anything and I got lots of compliments. But I don't think they really do the wave right. So I'm off now in search of the ever elusive metal wave clips that I keep getting out bid on :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Texasgirl, You improvised and came out with a beautiful hairstyle!! I like how they give a little volume too. Even if it isn't the "s" wave we try so hard to achieve, you hair still looks fab!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24