Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone for Pink Gin?

macawber

Familiar Face
Until the late 90's I did a lot of overseas travel, to India and one trip to Kenya. Whilst visiting a National Park in central India, I stayed at lodging called "Kipling Camp". It was run by an elderly man of english parentage though born and raised in India. He was one of those who stayed on after the British left. I won't go into my stay there just to say it was one of my more memorable experiences, close encounters with Tigers, etc. The old bloke had a love for one drink, Pink Gin, he asked me if I would like to try it. I tried it and have to say its my favourite drink after a scorcher of a day now. Whilst I was in Africa, I found they served this drink also. I believe its a relic of British Empire days, whatever its a great drink, though more than two and your well on your way. Have any of you tried it?

swinggal

One Too Many
I had a Pink Gin at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore years ago and have made a few at home since. I'm a big Gin and Tonic fan and love drinks containing 'Bitters' so it was right up my alley...so to speak.

I'm also a big fan of a really well made Lemon Lime and Bitters on a hot day. Very refreshing, and non-alcholic for those who don't indulge.

macawber

Familiar Face
Swingal
I too was at the Raffles whilst in Singapore, didn't have a drink but really enjoyed the ambience of the place. I also like anything with bitters in it, I like the lemon lime and bitters mixture on hot days, very refreshing.

Phil_in_CS

Familiar Face
I'd like to know also; Gin and Tonics are satisfying, but a change would be nice in these hotter than hell days.

I know it gets hot in other places, but here in central TX at the end of July, we still have almost 2 months of upper 90's ahead of us.

Feraud

Bartender
I did a web search. The recipie for Pink Gin state 2 oz. Gin(obviously) and a splash of bitters.
Another recipie calls for the Gin and cranberry juice, excluding the bitters.
I am not sure what an accurate Pink Gin consists of.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
The Gin n' Bitters is the authentic recipe. I've also had a Gin and Tonic with a dash of bitters, which can be quite nice.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
You put a small amount of bitters in a glass, then roll it around the until you coat the inside of the glass with the bitters, then pour off the excess, add your favorite Gin.

Junipero Gin, is really nice, and Julian Segarra makes a really nice Gin, though it's very hard to find other than ordering from Spiritscorner.com.
(Segarra Gin is made in Spain, by an incredible Brandy Distiller)

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Okay, I am not much of a drinker. Alchohol brings on a migraine for me. So please excuse my ignorance here. But I have to know what 'bitters' are?

Chad

Leporello

New in Town
Pink gin or "pinkers" was commonly drunk by British naval officers. The most usual way of making it is to shake a few drops of Angostura bitters into a glass, throw away the bitters leaving just a residue in the glass, top this up with a generous measure of gin and water and ice to taste.

I'm a very occasional drinker and provided I'm in the right company pink gin is one of my favourite tipples. However, it's not something I would choose to drink in a London pub. Some of the less sophisticated macho British males tend to regard anything pink with suspicion. Life's complicated enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot