Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have an Akubra Casual?

Duper

Practically Family
I was thinking I might like a nice crushable hat. The Akubra Traveller's brim may be larger than I want. Also I might like a carbon grey hat for a change as well. If I could swap out the Akubra Casual's ribbon for a nice leather hat band I may have just what I'm looking for.

Do they fit differently because they are a not using a fabric sweatband? Do they shrink to any degree?

It is much easier to search out 'Stockman" on the FL than it is "Casual".:eusa_doh:

griffer

Practically Family
This is my rain hat, my goto hat, my everyday hat.

While it saddens me that it is modern and unlined, I find the fit and durability to be fantastic.

I have it in charcoal grey, and I love it with my black wool overcoats.

I steamed it and gave it a hand-formed diamond crown with a severe pinch, though.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Don't have the casual but I do have the Traveller and I believe they use the same Pilofelt material.

Do they fit different from a leather sweatband? A little, they tend to hug the shape of your head a bit more easily.

Anything can shrink under the right conditions, but I haven't noticed any shrinkage in my Traveller.

And yes, I think the Traveller's brim is a little too large to wear the same way as I would my Federation IV.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
I have a Casual in Carbon Gray. It did shrink a little more than the two Akubra Fedoras I have. I have a stretcher on the way now to take care of that. It's not too tight to wear though, and as Griffer stated - this is my everyday hat too. I bought a Stetson Dega milan straw hat for summer wear, and the Casual is actually cooler to wear on a hot day than the Stetson.

I'm thinking of ordering the black one also, but would probably get a 61 rather than a 60. I can always use the felt strips if necessary to make it fit until it shrinks down a little. I did have to rebash mine as it set right on the top of my head in back. Just wet it and rebashed it again as a center dent, but raised it up a little.

And they do have a fabric sweatband, that does seem more snug to me.

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for the info guys, especially about the ordering a size up. I have placed an order with Noggintops for a carbon grey Casual.

Goose.

Practically Family
You're welcome and, "welcome" to the FL :)

I'm sure you will look super Duper (couldn't resist :eusa_doh:)

Post pics and your thoughts of it when it lands on your noggin from Noggin' please

ValEag

One of the Regulars
I forgot to welcome you also Duper, so welcome!

I'm sure you will look super Duper (couldn't resist )

Somehow Goose, I just knew you were gonna say that!!:p

Goose.

Practically Family
Yeah ValEag...too easy and predictable. But still had to do it. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your cocktail waitress.
Great to see you post! Hope all is well.

I like my Casual (had to keep the post thread related ;))

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Are they really any good?

What do those that own them make of them?

I recently had a look at the casual and had three issues with it.

1. it has a VERY low tapered crown - I'm a 59 or 60 and even the larger hat sat very high on my head
2. none of the brims on the 5 or so in the store seemed to quite sit right
3. the "pilofelt" looked more like wool to me than bunny

Am I being too harsh?

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Are they really in good? Yes!

Elvis - I guess this is simply relative to what you like and want in a hat. While I suppose it is not a dress hat, for some that want that everyday go to hat, as mentioned in this thread, they serve that purpose well.

I'm not really a vintage hat collector (yet!), but this hat is worn almost daily and fits my needs well. That's really all that matters to me. I've changed the crease and tweaked the brim a little, and though I can tell a difference in the felt between this one and other Akubras I have, the looks and feel of the Casual just suits me.

(Thanks Goose - all is well.)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Glad to hear you like it ValEag!
It's a hat that I had always liked the look of in the promotional pix and the crushable idea was appealing for overseas trips, but a hat can look a hell of a lot different when it's on your head. The fact that the ones i tried were acorn didn't help my enthusiasm either - I'm more a grey/charcoal kinda guy.

I've seen it discussed a few times around the lounge but have never seen a shot of it on someone's noggen. Perhaps some pix may be in order from casual owners?

Goose.

Practically Family
elvisroe said:
... Perhaps some pix may be in order from casual owners?

Well here ya go :)

476984037_8uYz5-S-1.jpg
474356524_bo9EB-S.jpg
594538822_XEKYZ-S.jpg

Remember, get a size up (I didn't). And a single word that I have come to not care for, but it's just a preference; "taper".

elvisroe

A-List Customer
thanks Goose, and I just found ValEags comparison pix between that and the fedora - they all look fine, perhaps it's just my long face that doesn't make 'em work[huh] I'll try and locate a grey one to get a better idea.

Obviously no one's had any issue with the brims?

Good to know you can reshape them too, I had wondered if the pilofelt might be a bit resistant to change.

Duper

Practically Family
Picked up my new Casual at the post office today. Fits perfectly. I love the feel of the felt. Very soft. I know it is packable because it came in a box with a number of other items and was a little squashed already. It popped right back into shape with very little coaxing. Thanks for all the help fellas, especially on the sizing.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Glad to hear you got it Duper. Did you order one size larger then?

And let me be the first to ask for the obligatory pics!

Duper

Practically Family
Hi ValEag, I ordered 1 size larger as suggested and it fits great. I'll try to post a pic in a few days. I haven't done that yet on the forum. I'm still a newbie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy