Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have an Akubra homburg?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
497611681_jYzj4-S-1.jpg

Goose, the homburg looks very natural on you. I think it fits your facial type well and the crease is more stylish that the customary flat brim. Well Done!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
My Akubra Homburg arrived today...

Looking for comments from you expert HOMBURGer Helpers.
Think it works for me?

Thank you in advance...

497611681_jYzj4-S-1.jpg

Goose, The bottom line is, it works for you!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

macfly

Familiar Face
Looks sweet! i cant wait. mine should be here any day.
if you have the time, could you post some pics from other angles?
as i understood it from the hats direct page this is an open crown hat..
did you have trouble getting the bash right? is it very soft and formable without steam?
thanks.

Esov

New in Town
I'm no expert, but I think it does work for you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that it still remains unanswered whether the Akubra Homburg is a typical homburg hat. If anyone cares to elaborate, it will be appreciated.

Goose.

Practically Family
Hi Hataholics...

Thank you all for the comments on the Akubra Homburg on my noggin.
Regarding the shirt, I won't be posting that on the Homburg Nation thread...I'd probably be deported as an illegal alien ;)
I'll submit my application for citizenship there later.

Nope...no sax. But how does a ukelele or harmonica sound? ("terribly" if they're in my mitts!)

The brim binding is stiff. Doesn't allow for snapping down.

The crown is very soft. Imperial grade. Works as easy as my Sydney.
Dry bashed. The center dent and the C crown were done during the picture session. Last night, I left it with the center dent, and it held. The problem is my forehead/top of skull, keeps growing like Herman Munster's (high and flat), so the center dent wants to go to a C crown, but I don't think that's the way I would wear it.
So, it's a work in progress.

Here are some more pics as requested.

Click the pics:
. . . . .

carldelo

One Too Many
Goose. said:
HOMBURGer Helpers.

Ouch, that's funny but hurts. The hat looks pretty natural on you - should look much better with a jacket, I wager. What's the brim width on that thing? Seems stingy compared to other homburgs, but I don't see them much. I echo the question above about how 'standard' the Akubra is relative to other versions. But in the end, if it works, it works. Your post kind of makes me want to try one of my own.

Goose.

Practically Family
Esov said:
I'm no expert, but I think it does work for you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that it still remains unanswered whether the Akubra Homburg is a typical homburg hat. If anyone cares to elaborate, it will be appreciated.
carldelo said:
Ouch, that's funny but hurts. The hat looks pretty natural on you - should look much better with a jacket, I wager. What's the brim width on that thing? Seems stingy compared to other homburgs, but I don't see them much. I echo the question above about how 'standard' the Akubra is relative to other versions. But in the end, if it works, it works. Your post kind of makes me want to try one of my own.
Thanks Esov and Cardelo…
Sorry for the “ouch”…just entered my mind as I was typing that.
Yeah, I was wondering if this “qualifies” as a Homburg. Better find out before I submit my citizenship application to the Homburg Nation. So any input is appreciated.

The brim is 1.75” from sweat band to underside of the bound edge. Underside of that bound edge to brim edge is 0.5”.
Total brim 2.25”

You should try one Carldelo…I really like mine. Wearing it as I type…what a goober lol

macfly

Familiar Face
Thanks for posting more pics. Im getting excited for mine but I really love the look of the bash hot the Hats Direct site...with the side dents...but i am thinking it will have to be done just right since i have seen others with side dents that dont seem to work as well. guess i will be playing with it a bit.
looks nice. hope it fits my face.

Esov

New in Town
Thanks for posting these pics, Goose. As I said in a previous thread, I was interested in the Akubra Homburg, but your photos convinced me that I should try one. I contacted HD and, lucky me, they do have one my size in stock. I guess they owe you a commission!

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I was watching an Akubra homburg on eBay.au recently- I think I could have gotten it, no problem........but they just seem kinda dressy for me. Same with a bowler. Now that's just me- Goose pulls it off with the Hawaiian shirt, but I don't think I could.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
The brim is 1.75” from sweat band to underside of the bound edge. Underside of that bound edge to brim edge is 0.5”.
Total brim 2.25”...

Thanks for all the pics, Goose. I vote for the center crease if you can get it to work. Maybe you're going to deep?

Now about this brim. I would personally prefer a little more brim width. It's turned up on the sides quite a bit. I don't recall this as being usual for the Homburg style - some upturn yes but not this much - but maybe I'm wrong. I'd be curious how this hat would look if you could bring the sides down a little. It would entail a fair amount of water or steam and massage with the stiff brim.

However, if you're happy with it the way it is, Goose, then I'm happy too :D.

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey CRH...I read ya spot on with your comments on the curl. When I first saw it I was somewhat surprised. Maybe I'll give bringing it down a try as I am curious. If it doesn't start going limp with age, as it's owner has, then I may try the water gig. Will post here when I do.

As for the bash, I have it as a center dent and seems to be holding. I showed the center dent to reflect the softness and, while at first the hat wanted to stay that way when I wore it, I spritzed it while wearing it with a center dent. Has held up.

Tried the dent gig as shown on the Hats Direct web site...that lasted five minutes. Felt sacrilegious. Though wearing that hat with jeans and a t-shirt today might be a sin to some, what the heck, I eat meat on Friday.

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey CRH...Thanks! I read ya spot on with your comments on the curl. That's why, to me, the comments and advice I read here means more to me than some shallow compliments I may hear on the street. The clientele of this watering hole seems objective, educated, and honest. If these jeans make me look fat, you'd tell me.
Friends don't let friends wear funky hats.

Anyway, enough group "I love you too man" hug jazz... ;)

When I first saw the side curl, I was somewhat surprised. Maybe I'll give bringing it down a try as I am curious. If it doesn't start going limp with age, as it's owner has, then I may try the water gig. Will post here when I do.

As for the bash, I have it as a center dent and seems to be holding. I showed the center dent to reflect the dry bash ease. At first the hat wanted to stay that way when I wore it, I spritzed it while wearing it with a center dent. Has held up.

Just for grins, tried the dent gig as shown on the Hats Direct web site...that lasted five minutes. Felt sacrilegious. Though wearing this hat with jeans and a t-shirt today might be a sin to some, what the heck, I eat meat on Friday.

Daoud, I searched but failed to find any pics of you...not an exhaustive search as I'm working a report while jumping to and from this site...but I would wager that it would be fine on you.

Esov and MacFly...can't wait either to see your Akubra lids when the land on your head. Pics please.

macfly

Familiar Face
Damn! got home and there's the slip from the post...but the hat is now in customs waiting for me to pick it up. but its closed for the weekend!
oh well. sucks knowing its sitting there all weekend with no love.
soon enough.

Goose.

Practically Family
What a bummer MacFly...

Will you be able to get it Monday?

Looking forward to your review/pics. But I'm certain not as much as you are waiting to get it on your head :)

macfly

Familiar Face
Hmmm. ok. well I have to say this is a very different type of hat than I am used to. not sure it really works for me. Have to work on finding a bash I like. Will try to post some pics later with some different ideas. interesting that many people wore this for dressy things even though they might have worn fedoras otherwise. they just seem made for different face types.

macfly

Familiar Face
Alright....after messing around for awhile I decided that for me the side dents work best. the brim out of the box is rolled up pretty tight. im going to be relaxing it a bit to spread it down/widen it...i do better a wider brim. but here's an idea how it looks.

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
macfly said:
Hmmm. ok. well I have to say this is a very different type of hat than I am used to. not sure it really works for me. ...
Based on the profile pic, I think it looks fine on you.
Where's the front facing mug shot though?

Don't know when I'll be wearing a suit agin, but that hat looks good with your suit MacFly.

So, now that you've had it a bit, what's your verdict on the lid?

macfly

Familiar Face
meh...right now i'm not convinced. might try wearing it out today to try to get a better feel. just very different from the styles i usually like..safari and more typical fedora. who knows maybe it will grow on me. definitely wont be one at the top of the rotation list. i guess its kind of like owning a tuck. dont wear it every night but when you need it you're glad you have it!
guess it adds some spice to the collection though and it is a well made hat. pretty much most of what i own now is akubra.

macfly

Familiar Face
wore it out today with a jacket and tie..i guess its growing on me but i just kept having images of a funeral director or some charles dickens character running around grey london going through my head. i kept feeling like i should have a long umbrella or cane with me! its just a very formal feeling hat. i would have a hard time really dressing this one down but for suits it does give me a british feel. anyone else get certain feelings while wearing a homburg?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael