Anyone into tent camping?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Blowtorch, May 31, 2017.

1. cm289

cm289 One of the Regulars

I love tent camping but don’t get to go as often as I’d like. Here’s a shot from a Cub Scout campout in April: rained 2” the first night and snowed the next day, but thanks to the tarp I had over us we were as sound as a pound-[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBH, Eva Granch, Ticklishchap and 3 others like this.
  2. Renault

Renault One Too Many

A certain Mr. Godfrey sent me a health and welfare email about a week ago. So you may blame him for my return inspiration. Lots going on here. He's quite a fellow! Thank you Mr. G!

3. Mr. Godfrey

Mr. Godfrey Practically Family

Ahh, Renault, you always have such stylish camps my friend.

And it is good to have you back, young man.

Renault likes this.
  4. Mr. Godfrey

Now that's a cool and exciting camp for young people, one they will remember, eh! Reminds me of a time I slept under a bush because of the snow. Love it.

cm289 and Renault like this.
  5. Renault

Renault One Too Many

And you're a pretty classy guy yourself G!

Mr. Godfrey likes this.
  6. Mr. Godfrey

That's a nice looking bell tent and I hope you have great adventurers in it?. Your right those patrol tents are so heavy but last ages if treated well. I have three in the scout hall loft as we only use nylon these days, for weight, ease for drying and the scouts to have more room.

7. Mr. Godfrey

Thank you kindly, I take my inspiration from such good eggs such as yourself. I did get a wool M1916 shirt after seeing yours and it is has been a great asset at camp this year as part of my layering.

Renault likes this.
  8. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'm planning a camping trip/road trip out in the Redwoods later this month, actually. It's going to be tent camping at a local campsite in the Redwoods, and I'm driving out there from Chicago, so it's gonna be a really fun trip!

9. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

My thoughts exactly!

10. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

I spent last deer and elk seasons in a well-built, properly equipped wall tent. My new hunting partner loves tents. :rolleyes: This coming deer season I will be in a guided hunt cabin and during elk season I will be on a river cruise in France. We'll see how 2020 turns out . . .

cm289 likes this.
  11. Warden

Warden One Too Many

I ended up having to help our local Scouts troop camping, the very day a storm hit us. Thankfully I was in my British Army WW2 'pup' tent. Stayed nice and dry :)

(the pic is an Instagram pic, so you have to click on the link to see it)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwwL_P_gW-s/

cm289 likes this.
  12. Edm1

Edm1 Familiar Face

I do a lot of camping with the Boy Scouts. Usually average 30 or more nights a year. 90% is in a hammock the rest in a tent. I love my hammock. Stays drier than a tent, much more comfortable and Ive been cozy warm down to 15 degrees. I’m willing to go colder, but weather hasn’t cooperated. Probably 75% of the camping is back country on hikes..the rest is sorta car camping...

Eva Granch and JJackie like this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

For the past 5 years my wife and i have spent 2 to 4 months of each year touring the western US in our motorhome We have now completed the mission and are thinking of devolving back to a 4 x 4 pickup and and tent like camper. There are multiple versions out there now. Aluminum and carbon construction ...they weigh 300lbs. With a set up like this we can get off the beaten path and access the sites we could not in our 30' tiny house.

RBH likes this.
  14. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

My campsite when I was in the Redwoods last week:
    [​IMG]

Eva Granch, Bamaboots, cm289 and 2 others like this.
  15. cm289

Camped out a few weeks ago under a tarp. Something I’ve always wanted to do. Was a little afraid a skunk might visit in the night, but it wasn’t bad. Looking forward to doing again sometime.

[​IMG]

RBH and crawlinkingsnake like this.
  16. JJackie

JJackie New in Town

Nice one. I love hammocks too. But have you tried using one of those fancy tent air conditioners? I heard that it can keep the air in your tent fresh and dry, see for yourself https://cleverwander.com/p/best-tent-air-conditioner-for-hikers-who-want-an-exceptional-experience/ and I'm thinking of getting one before my next trip. Someone might call me not a real hiker, but I don't care. Comfort is very important to me.

17. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake A-List Customer

Beautiful site. Where were you located? I'm now thinking (thanks to your post) of once again hiking into the Dolly Sods Wilderness area in West Virginia.

cm289 likes this.
  18. cm289

This was in Sacramento, NM right outside of Wehinahpay Mountain Camp (Boy Scouts of America)

19. Eva Granch

Eva Granch New in Town

Love camping.
    When we were younger, we used a tent and found the most remote site we could to camp. Now we use a tent/trailer and camp at sites with water and indoor restrooms.
    The activities I do while camping include hiking, kayaking, bird watching, fishing, journal writing and generally just relaxing at the campsite (playing with the campfire mostly).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Woodtroll likes this.