Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone into tent camping?

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I love camping, but it’ll be April sometime before the snow here goes so it’ll be a while yet. I generally get around 20 nights in under canvas every summer. I grew up trailer camping, but often slept in my own tent when the rest of the family was in the trailer. Trailers and RV’s are the way to go when you are in one place for a long time and it is raining every day, but other than that there’s no substitute for a tent. I always sleep so much better in a tent than I do in a hotel too!

Incidentally, several threads back, someone posted a picture of a tiny tent. My uncle has one much like it that he uses on our annual motorcycle trip every summer, and we all make fun of it, referring to it as “The Condom”. He takes it all in stride though, and doesn’t mind. He is in his early 70s and rides motorcycles all day then sleeps on the ground in a tent all night , so he doesn’t have anything to prove to anyone.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Come hell or high water we are getting back under the stars this year. Last year was our first ever we did not get out, shut out part of the year but did not take advantage of the time we could have gone out.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We booked for a week this August, and while we entered another lockdown a month ago, it is looking good for the summer being opened up enough to go.

Fingers crossed!

Edward

Bartender
I've not had the chance to camp out for some years now; last time was 2012, I think. Circumstances have conspired against me. My wife and I booked in for our first camping trip next month. With not driving, it's just not been practical to go anywhere with a tent of a decent size, but we've booked a "glamping" tent where we can go and stay with the dog near Lewes for a week. It's a large, mid-20th century style bell tent complete with futon bed and a woodburner, so we're not exactly going to be roughing it... Looking forward to it, though. I never minded camping in wet weather as long as there's a bit of space to sit around in.

Edit: The bell tents here is what we'll be sleeping in. I fancied the camping pods, but the tent we're allowed to have the dog in, so, and as the intent is for it mostly to be a walking / sauntering / not particularly indoorsy holiday, it made sense to take her with us.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Our August reservation remains valid, so fingers crossed we remain good to go. We will need this after missing last year!

No futons or wood burners in the tent though...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
My initial bivouac was during basic training at Ft Polk, Louisiana. My tent mate committed suicide,
so I was left with only my half-tent shelter to make a lean to, after which I camouflaged with sticks, leaves,
bush material, really did a helluva job camouflaging for the Viet Cong.
Couldn't find my shelter half that night.:(

We are having serious conversations about selling our motorhome so may go back to some manner of tent camping or follow the original plan and buy a VW EuroVan for some short term road trips. We have completed all the epic road trips in the motorhome that were on our bucket list.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We booked for a week this August, and while we entered another lockdown a month ago, it is looking good for the summer being opened up enough to go.

Fingers crossed!

Bit of a kerfuffle, but we managed to get to a provincial park.

Balsam Lake Provincial Park, in the Kawartha Lakes area of Ontario.

Day two of five. Great weather so far but perhaps a bit of rain coming.

20210817_161410.jpg

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
Got back into camping a lot over the last year (unsurprisingly), went twice last year and 4 times this year. Had hoped to go one more time this year, but not sure it's going to happen.

Would like to do more overnighters on the bike, but probably need a new, smaller tent for that. Have invested in a very small inflatable camping mat (from decathlon, but it actually rated up there with some £100 more on a bike packing website), down sleeping bag, but also use a lot of wool.

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
singercampeur.jpg

Possibly better suited to the cycling thread, but thought this was relevant here.

Will have to double check the date on the above, but would say it's 1950s. Made by Alex Singer, what would of been known at the time as a Campeur. Note it's a lightweight, but reinforced frame, designed to handle most terrain, long before the 'invention' of the Mountain Bike.

r1015588.jpg

An earlier example, note the brake levers were unusual for a drop bar bike of the time.

An here's an example of such a bike in use in 1950.

victor_franco_1950_2c0e11d32446d1d521845a157b0aebe7a0522da6.png

Will add more pics later.

Last edited:

bobbyjr

New in Town
singercampeur.jpg

Possibly better suited to the cycling thread, but thought this was relevant here.

Will have to double check the date on the above, but would say it's 1950s. Made by Alex Singer, what would of been known at the time as a Campeur. Note it's a lightweight, but reinforced frame, designed to handle most terrain, long before the 'invention' of the Mountain Bike.

r1015588.jpg

[/URL]

An earlier example, note the brake levers were unusual for a drop bar bike of the time.

An here's an example of such a bike in use in 1950.

victor_franco_1950_2c0e11d32446d1d521845a157b0aebe7a0522da6.png

Will add more pics later.
Damn that's a really classy look, would love more pictures if you can find.

bobbyjr

New in Town
Don't know if this is really a tent question, but my old ALICE pack has finally passed out. So I've been looking through some of the survival gear at the nearby sports store(going for modern backpack at this point, so...yeah). So far I'm really like USWE Carve 25 litre and Tasmanian Tiger Modular 30. Mostly looking for camping backpack to fit 2-3ish days worth of gear and supply. I could get another ALICE ofc, but kinda wanted to try something new. Any advice is welcome!

Yango

One of the Regulars
Just spent a week living here sharing a space with the local inhabitants.
003BA14B-E9E4-4BAD-AB94-6668F2482AEA.jpeg
83F9519C-9EB8-4A98-916F-0D899D923B91.jpeg

Attachments

• 595A7AB7-3EC1-4CFB-A6CB-06D9EF59888C.jpeg
    595A7AB7-3EC1-4CFB-A6CB-06D9EF59888C.jpeg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 955474B6-273D-4505-900B-81DBEB6A63DB.jpeg
    955474B6-273D-4505-900B-81DBEB6A63DB.jpeg
    763.1 KB · Views: 74
  • E4D6B9EE-5116-4CEA-B65C-95CAE7B5ABDB.jpeg
    E4D6B9EE-5116-4CEA-B65C-95CAE7B5ABDB.jpeg
    753.1 KB · Views: 77

WH1

Practically Family
Don't know if this is really a tent question, but my old ALICE pack has finally passed out. So I've been looking through some of the survival gear at the nearby sports store(going for modern backpack at this point, so...yeah). So far I'm really like USWE Carve 25 litre and Tasmanian Tiger Modular 30. Mostly looking for camping backpack to fit 2-3ish days worth of gear and supply. I could get another ALICE ofc, but kinda wanted to try something new. Any advice is welcome!
check out tactical tailor, I used their malice pack on multiple afghanistan deployments also their 3 day assault pack. great field kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ