Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone wear grey hair?

cecil

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
There's a woman out there on the internet somewhere who blogged about letting her hair grow out fully gray. I think she had a hairdresser fade in her grays with highlights on the rest of her hair. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here we go. Looks like she wrote a book too! http://www.more.com/style/hair/gray-hair/

She looks so much better at the end! The first photo looks so matronly compared to the last one. My mother is 62 and has been toying with the idea of going grey but chickening out, I think I'll send this link to her. Thanks!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm a Spring, and a favorite

book of mine "Color Me Beautiful" says for my season "does not gray attractively, color your hair." I must agree in my case- I've been coloring it for a long time, mostly to a golden reddish lt brown. The haircolor turns to blonde pretty much anyway with my being a swimmer. A number of my eyebrows are now grey and white, so I'm get them tinted too, otherwise it looks like a bunch of my eyebrows are missing!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
There is a striking grey haired woman...

in our local Art Deco Society named Alice. She frequently wears her long grey hair in a low bun and dresses 20s. It looks wonderful on her!

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
I started getting grey hairs when I was 15 and started dying my hair then. I noticed a few months ago that my hair was nearly white. I've decided to grow out the dye and go natural. My mom, who has natural jet black hair, keeps telling me white hair will make me look old, but my face doesn't look that old.

i personally think gray hair on a female looks pretty especially when its a silver look. its a stigma by society that gray hairs mean old age. i still havent gotten gray hairs but when i do ill just let it go gray why hide what is natural.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Medvssa said:
I personally think grey/white hair is gorgeous, and to each their own, if you like it and you feel comfortable, that's everything that counts!

I stopped heannaeing my hair because I found my first whites :)

i agree with you

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Another vote...

I began to go grey when I was 16--at the temples; but it wasn't until my 40s that it really began to go grey. Now, at 55, I'm pretty mixed....and I'm hoping that (like my grandfather and father) I go completely white. It would not occur to me to color it...not that I look down on any who may make a different decision. But to me, as a Catholic, I want to honor the body God gave me, and respect the method he gave for getting us into the world...and getting us out of it! You're only a given age ONCE...might as well enjoy it! The journey so far has been great.

My wife went grey very prematurely...she was fully grey at 16. She had one HIDEOUS EXPERIENCE with dying at 15....first it was green; then it was orange :eek: and this in a very small junior high school. She made the choice then and there to just live with it. Interestingly, her premature grey (which became white very shortly thereafter) became a strong identity to her....she got to rather like being "that prematurely grey" girl....and is having a harder time than I might have expected dealing with the fact that....at her age now, it's no longer unusual.

She still hasn't dyed it.....:)

Myself, I've always thought she was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. I still do.

"Skeet"

crwritt

One Too Many
When we came back from a recent vacation, my hair had grown more than usual, showing more white roots than usual. I thought I'd let the white grow in,I went in to the salon for some highlights,to blend the white white roots into the dyed chestnut brown hair. and I'm just being patient. In Six weeks i'll go back for another round of highlights, and we'll see how things shape up. So far i like it.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I say go for it! I believe that if a lady lets her grey/white hair grow out and likes it, then her confidence will come through, too. There's something very appealing about a woman who goes grey and doesn't make any bones about it. I think it's sophisticated. Plus, there's nothing worse than roots coming through-- it becomes an "open secret", and no one is fooled.

Having said that...

I'm male, 37 and my hair is greying fast. I'm a natural blonde, but the gray is taking over! It started with a stripe on the temple when I was in my late twenties and now it's flecked all throughout my hair. A friend I hadn't seen in awhile cjokingly called me "Steve Martin", which was a nickname I had as a (non-grey) kid. Also, during a recent vacation, I let my beard grow out and it, too, is mostly white. I'm not sure how other men feel about going grey, but I welcome it and cheer on each new white hair I earn. Perhaps I'll appear more "distinguished" and "scholarly.";)

Foofoogal

Banned
I got half of the way thru and chickened out. I even tried to keep it short and have my hairdresser blend but I felt like I had the wrong pair of shoes that did not match my dress. [huh]
I really wanted to succeed due to not wanting chemicals on my hair and my hair grows super, super fast.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, here's the first step. I've cut my hair really short so there would be less the grow out. I now have about an inch of red tips, then 2 inches were the red has rinsed out of the bleached streaks, then about 2-3inches of brown and grey natural hair. I think I've decided to chicken out of the growing out process and get a wig. I really hate short hair and the dappled coloring makes it even worse. I think a wig will help me get through the bad stages.
3468083965_71bec4c212.jpg

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
If it helps you're not alone, I'm 37 and I have a lot of grey, which started when I was 30'ish.

I started getting it dyed out 2 years ago and have decided to carry on until I feel that that the battle has been lost! :)

I don't dislike grey hair, but if I was going to go with it I'd want it all grey rather than just the streaks I have so I'd probably have the rest of it coloured to match.

Think of how wonderful Meryl Streep looked in "The Devil Wears Prada"! If I thought I could look that good I'd do it now!

Its a brave move Kami, but you have such a young face that you'll carry it off no trouble at all.

I'm 18, and no Gray as of yet. Both my parents dye their hair very regularly. I told them that I'm just letting mine gray and they both told me that it was a very dumb decision. They already tell me I look old for my age. I'm usually guessed in my mid-20's. I just think it's all part of life, and it nature says I'm ready to go gray, I guess it's time to go gray. I think it'll make me look distinguished.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I waited for almost 30 years to go gray. I wanted salt & pepper hair, but realized that I didn't have the pepper to show off the salt.

Wasn't sure how long it would take: my father had white hair at 50, my mother entered her 80's with just wisps of gray hair on the side. As I suspected, I fell somewhere in between.

I now have silver-gray hair, a lovely color, and I have a silver aura around my head when I stand in full light. It's cool.

My mother had some advice for a friend of mine who dyed her hair brown, feeling that gray or white hair would make her look old. Mother said, "dyeing your hair when you are older makes you looks just as old and gives you a hard look. Gray or white hair will soften your features."

My friend looks much better, and, I think younger, with her wonderful mane of white hair.

karol

crwritt

One Too Many
I'm just about to go to the hairdresser's for my second round of highlights as I grow out my hair from dyed chestnut to silvery gray. Its been six weeks, I've been patient, and have about an inch of new growth. I actually had a compliment on it this morning. I just said thank you, didn't get to talkative about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points