Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone wear grey hair?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I started getting grey hairs when I was 15 and started dying my hair then. I noticed a few months ago that my hair was nearly white. I've decided to grow out the dye and go natural. My mom, who has natural jet black hair, keeps telling me white hair will make me look old, but my face doesn't look that old.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I have gray hair. I am not afraid to look my age, because that has no bearing on looking good. Someone can look young and unattractive. I would feel uncomfortable with a dye job so that would mean less confidence. I think it's what you believe in which will be what you can pull off best. I may change my mind sometime, but I will never go by the tyranny of what other people think. :)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I've got a lot of white hairs and I've noticed that I'm getting a streak of white in my bangs. Normally, I dye my hairbut I've been considering letting the streak grow out.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I personally think grey/white hair is gorgeous, and to each their own, if you like it and you feel comfortable, that's everything that counts!

I stopped heannaeing my hair because I found my first whites :)

Idledame

Practically Family
I gave up dyeing mine. It was a pain having roots to worry about, and my hair was always dry and damaged from the coloring. I suppose I would look 10 years younger with brown hair but that means I would look 50. Now if dyeing it would make me look 35 it would be worth it, but it's not worth it to look 50!!

The main thing is what makes you feel the best, more than which one looks the best to other people. I don't seem to feel any different either way.
I read an article not too long ago by a woman who posted on one of the dating sites as a test. She did one as her gray haired self, then posted the exact same picture with her hair photoshopped brown. She actually got more hits with the gray hair.

But who knows I might dye it again but it's so hard to get past the in between stage when you're growing it out.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ok, maybe I should have stated this in the beginning. I'm 35. So, having grey doesn't mean looking my age. Most women my age have little to no grey.

Idledame, did you grow out your natural hair or did you cut it short? Right now, I have about 2 inches of undyed hair and I don't know if I can keep trimming it just a tiny bit each month and wait for it to grow.

Inky

One Too Many
Go for it, Kamikat! You can always change your mind - it's just hair :) I know you know that since you are a hairdresser!

I tried once, I let it go about 3 inches and was nearly committed but it's just not my time yet. I'll be 49 this May, my hair is dark brown with big nuclear red chunks and i'm pondering going all nuclear red just once more before i turn 50...or 55....or 60.

Hair is just hair, and a number just a number, do what feels good and when it feels bad, change it :)

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
when i was 15, i desperately wanted grey hair. silvery-grey streaks, if nothing else! my mother wouldn't let me die it, so i went for the second-best thing: sun bleached (with the aid of peroxide+conditioner cocktail) until it was white. i kept it up for years - winter months were aided by boxed dye, but the summer found me sitting outside with a towel over my face so i wouldn't get a tan!
when i was 20 (i'm nearing 23 now), i started going with more of an ash blonde. it stayed for a few months, then i went dramatic and dyed it a deep dark auburn brown. since then i've let it grow naturally - the dark brown dye faded to blend fairly well with my natural haircolor, and today the only evidence i ever dyed it is a bit of lighter hair at the ends and on the top layer - it just looks like i spent some time in the sun. i always hated my natural haircolor growing up, but i love it now!
moral of the story: go for it! your face is youthful enough (as it should be, you're young!) that white hair won't make you look old. and as other said - if you don't like it, you can always dye it again!
i think you'd look amazing with white hair. i can't wait until mine starts to turn. :) i love grey/white hair.

Esme

One of the Regulars
I was going to let mine grow in, I had about 6 inches of roots, but at 50, I had such a little amount of gray that you couldn't really tell. Just a smattering of gray in the temples and around the face and one kinda half-assed streak on the left side part! Hmmmpfphh, so I dyed it red with streaks again when I got it cut.
My mother died last year at the age of 65 with hardly any gray and her mom died at age 80 with only gray at the temples! My dad's mom, on the other hand, had the most beautiful head of silvery hair at the age of 60, completely white, from about my color, so I will see what happens over the next few years.

tuppence

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I started getting grey hairs when I was 15 and started dying my hair then. I noticed a few months ago that my hair was nearly white. I've decided to grow out the dye and go natural. My mom, who has natural jet black hair, keeps telling me white hair will make me look old, but my face doesn't look that old.

Kamikat, I was watching a Judy Holiday movie the other day, and she reminded me of your photos in the pin-up thread.
I don't know much about hair, but wouldn't your hair turn out similar to Marilyn Monroes'.
I have about a dozen grey hairs that my daughter plucks out. I'm not sure what I'll do when their neighbours start turning. I saw a hair dye comb in one of those shopping catalouges they leave at your front door. I was a little tempted, even though my rational self tells me none of that stuff works.

carter

I'll Lock Up
FWIW, I think a well-coiffed woman with grey or white hair can be stunning. I had a friend in high school, many, many years ago, whose hair was prematurely grey. She was, and still is, a lovely lady.

My hair started to grey when I was in my late 20's and now is completely white with the exception of a darker area on the back of my head. Ladies seem to like it. ;) :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Grey hair comes naturally - so naturally it's beautifull - just take a look in the wrinkels thread. My wife has some great, lovely grey hair. Mine's just grey - whats left of it, that is.:D

Lily Powers

Practically Family
There was a woman at work who was in her 50's and her hair was all gray. She had it cut in the cutest, slightly below chin length bob and I thought she looked youthful, sexy and very individual. Then one day, she had it cut in a short, matronly, blah style and her whole style of individuality disappeared. She's still lovely, that's a given, but the style of her hair made such a difference.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, I've made an appointment to get my hair cut short. I think it's grown out enough that if I get a pixie cut, it will be all grey.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Esme said:
I was going to let mine grow in, I had about 6 inches of roots, but at 50, I had such a little amount of gray that you couldn't really tell. Just a smattering of gray in the temples and around the face and one kinda half-assed streak on the left side part! Hmmmpfphh, so I dyed it red with streaks again when I got it cut.
My mother died last year at the age of 65 with hardly any gray and her mom died at age 80 with only gray at the temples! My dad's mom, on the other hand, had the most beautiful head of silvery hair at the age of 60, completely white, from about my color, so I will see what happens over the next few years.

Hmmm... I just dye most of mine and leave stripes on the sides - I rather look like your avatar...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy